By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

KLAMarine said:

GoW4 is like TLoU in the following ways: over-the-shoulder camera, kid companion, emphasis on story, and walking sections. Of course considering one has guns and the other does not, they don't play exactly alike. Encounters up-close also look similar. Ellie also sometimes climbed up to places to fetch ladders and from what I understand, the kid in GoW4 is sent up to higher places to help Kratos climb up. Also like TLoU, I believe there's an emphasis on the relationship between Kratos and the kid.

GoW has a story, so it is like TLOU. And of course, because it has a story, the emphasis is on that. 

Such a strong argument.




Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It's distancing from it's roots because the game would've been boring.

Perhaps to you.

ArchangelMadzz said:

No one needed a 5th god of war game just like the others, this isn't MS first party. 

It didn't need to be like the previous games. It could have improved upon its old formula but instead Kratos can't jump any more despite Cory's acknowledgement that such a thing would have been fun. It wouldn't make story sense according to him.

Combat-wise, God of War Ascension was much better than GOW3. But it didn't review well because it was the same old stuff but less epic cause GOW3 was the big finale. 

If they made a new god of war it would have to be different or they'd just be squeezing the life out of the series, especially after how ascension went down.



PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

KLAMarine said:
GOWTLOZ said:

No, I'm not watching the video again just to find out a time stamp.

I have gone through the video again and I did not find what you claim was there.

GOWTLOZ said: 

You didn't reply to my answers though. In what way is GOW like TLOU? I've played GOW and TLOU and they play nothing alike.

GoW4 is like TLoU in the following ways: over-the-shoulder camera, kid companion, emphasis on story, and walking sections. Of course considering one has guns and the other does not, they don't play exactly alike. Encounters up-close also look similar. Ellie also sometimes climbed up to places to fetch ladders and from what I understand, the kid in GoW4 is sent up to higher places to help Kratos climb up. Also like TLoU, I believe there's an emphasis on the relationship between Kratos and the kid.

God of War and TLOU are the only games to have over the shoulder camera and a story. I see. Interesting that NO other game EVER made had an over the shoulder camera and a story.

The enemy spawns aren't similar at all. You're running out of straws to grasp.

Hynad said:
KLAMarine said:

GoW4 is like TLoU in the following ways: over-the-shoulder camera, kid companion, emphasis on story, and walking sections. Of course considering one has guns and the other does not, they don't play exactly alike. Encounters up-close also look similar. Ellie also sometimes climbed up to places to fetch ladders and from what I understand, the kid in GoW4 is sent up to higher places to help Kratos climb up. Also like TLoU, I believe there's an emphasis on the relationship between Kratos and the kid.

GoW has a story, so it is like TLOU. And of course, because it has a story, the emphasis is on that. 

Such a strong argument.


Yes TLOU invented the over the shoulder camera and was the first game with a story.

ArchangelMadzz said:
KLAMarine said:

Perhaps to you.

It didn't need to be like the previous games. It could have improved upon its old formula but instead Kratos can't jump any more despite Cory's acknowledgement that such a thing would have been fun. It wouldn't make story sense according to him.

Combat-wise, God of War Ascension was much better than GOW3. But it didn't review well because it was the same old stuff but less epic cause GOW3 was the big finale. 

If they made a new god of war it would have to be different or they'd just be squeezing the life out of the series, especially after how ascension went down.

God of War: Ascension had the worst combat in the series. No alternate weapons, and we got elemental powers that were similar. God of War 3 had weapon switching among 4 weapons all having different moves and switch up among these weapons in the middle of a combo to make endless juggles.



Hynad said:
KLAMarine said:

GoW4 is like TLoU in the following ways: over-the-shoulder camera, kid companion, emphasis on story, and walking sections. Of course considering one has guns and the other does not, they don't play exactly alike. Encounters up-close also look similar. Ellie also sometimes climbed up to places to fetch ladders and from what I understand, the kid in GoW4 is sent up to higher places to help Kratos climb up. Also like TLoU, I believe there's an emphasis on the relationship between Kratos and the kid.

GoW has a story, so it is like TLOU. And of course, because it has a story, the emphasis is on that. 

Such a strong argument.

Strong argument for what? What are you talking about?

ArchangelMadzz said:
KLAMarine said:

Perhaps to you.

It didn't need to be like the previous games. It could have improved upon its old formula but instead Kratos can't jump any more despite Cory's acknowledgement that such a thing would have been fun. It wouldn't make story sense according to him.

Combat-wise, God of War Ascension was much better than GOW3. But it didn't review well because it was the same old stuff but less epic cause GOW3 was the big finale. 

If they made a new god of war it would have to be different or they'd just be squeezing the life out of the series, especially after how ascension went down.

Maybe? I don't know, honestly. It's a hypothetical. I think an exploration of Norse mythology might have helped without having to change the formula.

GOWTLOZ said:
KLAMarine said:

I have gone through the video again and I did not find what you claim was there.

GoW4 is like TLoU in the following ways: over-the-shoulder camera, kid companion, emphasis on story, and walking sections. Of course considering one has guns and the other does not, they don't play exactly alike. Encounters up-close also look similar. Ellie also sometimes climbed up to places to fetch ladders and from what I understand, the kid in GoW4 is sent up to higher places to help Kratos climb up. Also like TLoU, I believe there's an emphasis on the relationship between Kratos and the kid.

God of War and TLOU are the only games to have over the shoulder camera and a story. I see.

Not even remotely close to what I said.

GOWTLOZ said: 

Interesting that NO other game EVER made had an over the shoulder camera and a story.

That's not true at all. Where are you getting this information from?

GOWTLOZ said: 

The enemy spawns aren't similar at all. You're running out of straws to grasp.

Who said anything about enemy spawns?



My whole problem with this thread is that you present a problem but fail to come up with a good solution to it. sticking to the old formula is not going to work and you know it. Also i find it very hard to take your opinion seriously considering your experience with this franchise (GOW1) and then you think you and come here and say the formula isn't aging. how would you even know if you haven't played the games yourself?



Around the Network
Eric2048 said:
My whole problem with this thread is that you present a problem but fail to come up with a good solution to it. sticking to the old formula is not going to work and you know it. Also i find it very hard to take your opinion seriously considering your experience with this franchise (GOW1) and then you think you and come here and say the formula isn't aging. how would you even know if you haven't played the games yourself?

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.



KLAMarine said:
Eric2048 said:
My whole problem with this thread is that you present a problem but fail to come up with a good solution to it. sticking to the old formula is not going to work and you know it. Also i find it very hard to take your opinion seriously considering your experience with this franchise (GOW1) and then you think you and come here and say the formula isn't aging. how would you even know if you haven't played the games yourself?

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.

Great response.



Eric2048 said:
KLAMarine said:

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.

Great response.

Thanks?



KLAMarine said:
Eric2048 said:
My whole problem with this thread is that you present a problem but fail to come up with a good solution to it. sticking to the old formula is not going to work and you know it. Also i find it very hard to take your opinion seriously considering your experience with this franchise (GOW1) and then you think you and come here and say the formula isn't aging. how would you even know if you haven't played the games yourself?

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.

The market said the formula was aging, and that's the driving factor.  Ascension pulled significantly worse reviews than its predecessors (80 MC vs 94/93/92) and nose-dived in sales (2.4m copies sold vs. 4.45/4.07/4.81).



Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

TheDarkShape said:
KLAMarine said:

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.

The market said the formula was aging, and that's the driving factor.  Ascension pulled significantly worse reviews than its predecessors (80 MC vs 94/93/92) and nose-dived in sales (2.4m copies sold vs. 4.45/4.07/4.81).

Hmm, I was always under the impression that Ascension wasn't employing the typical GoW formula and thus turned some people off. Additionally, the fact that it looked like a spin-off rather than a true sequel might have driven others away too.