By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

Eric2048 said:
My whole problem with this thread is that you present a problem but fail to come up with a good solution to it. sticking to the old formula is not going to work and you know it. Also i find it very hard to take your opinion seriously considering your experience with this franchise (GOW1) and then you think you and come here and say the formula isn't aging. how would you even know if you haven't played the games yourself?

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Eric2048 said:
My whole problem with this thread is that you present a problem but fail to come up with a good solution to it. sticking to the old formula is not going to work and you know it. Also i find it very hard to take your opinion seriously considering your experience with this franchise (GOW1) and then you think you and come here and say the formula isn't aging. how would you even know if you haven't played the games yourself?

Whether a formula is aging or not depends on the player... And I don't recall saying the formula wasn't aging.

Great response.

Eric2048 said:
KLAMarine said:

Great response.

Thanks?

KLAMarine said:
Eric2048 said:

The market said the formula was aging, and that's the driving factor.  Ascension pulled significantly worse reviews than its predecessors (80 MC vs 94/93/92) and nose-dived in sales (2.4m copies sold vs. 4.45/4.07/4.81).

Intel i7-8086k @ 5.1 GHz | Asus Maximus X Hero | 32GB Ballistix Sport LT 2400Mhz RAM | Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

TheDarkShape said:
KLAMarine said:

The market said the formula was aging, and that's the driving factor.  Ascension pulled significantly worse reviews than its predecessors (80 MC vs 94/93/92) and nose-dived in sales (2.4m copies sold vs. 4.45/4.07/4.81).

Hmm, I was always under the impression that Ascension wasn't employing the typical GoW formula and thus turned some people off. Additionally, the fact that it looked like a spin-off rather than a true sequel might have driven others away too.

Around the Network
GOWTLOZ said:

ArchangelMadzz said:

Combat-wise, God of War Ascension was much better than GOW3. But it didn't review well because it was the same old stuff but less epic cause GOW3 was the big finale. 

If they made a new god of war it would have to be different or they'd just be squeezing the life out of the series, especially after how ascension went down.

God of War: Ascension had the worst combat in the series. No alternate weapons, and we got elemental powers that were similar. God of War 3 had weapon switching among 4 weapons all having different moves and switch up among these weapons in the middle of a combo to make endless juggles.

I think they didn't go with the multiple weapons because in GOW 3, 3 of those weapons were basically identical just different skin and animation, it was the nemean cestus that was the best alt weapon imo. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

GOWTLOZ said:
KLAMarine said:

You're free to do so of course.

"He is an expert"

>I don't consider myself an expert. I defer to Bick Benedict on that front.

"played the first that released like 15 years ago, watched some lets plays of some others cause kratos voice is HOT"

>Hey man, I'm just saying the voice acting is great. Over-the-top characters tearing each other apart is my jam.

"and now its concerned about GOW changing the formula, what agenda is he doing ? He is just a concerned and totaly unbias individual concerned about the gaming industry, that is why he posted this totally unbias opinion of this game series he clearly proved that he loved, you know. This 94 or 95 metacritic game have the potential to destroy gaming industry forever you know."

>No, I'm just worried I'll find walking sections in the next Bayonetta. Kind of like single-player game fans worry about an abundance of multiplayer-centric games.

But I have yet to get an answer to my question: when did TGB say GoW games were hack-n-slash for kids?

He said in the God of War 4 rant that God of War games were hack and slash games enjoyed by kids which is an underhanded way of saying that its not on the quality of other hack and slash games that are enjoyed by adults. He's completely wrong about it.

Even if he did say that, he's not saying it's for kids. He's saying it's much easier and less deep than other hack and slash games.

ArchangelMadzz said:
GOWTLOZ said:

God of War: Ascension had the worst combat in the series. No alternate weapons, and we got elemental powers that were similar. God of War 3 had weapon switching among 4 weapons all having different moves and switch up among these weapons in the middle of a combo to make endless juggles.

I think they didn't go with the multiple weapons because in GOW 3, 3 of those weapons were basically identical just different skin and animation, it was the nemean cestus that was the best alt weapon imo. 

Those 3 weapons had different moves that made them suitable for different enemies.

GOWTLOZ said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Those 3 weapons had different moves that made them suitable for different enemies.

The hades blade had one move that was better for enemies that fly. But killing those enemies wasn't a probably. Outside of the Nemean Cestus the other 2 added weapons didn't NEED to exist and were just there for a different aesthetic for the most part. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The hades blade had one move that was better for enemies that fly. But killing those enemies wasn't a probably. Outside of the Nemean Cestus the other 2 added weapons didn't NEED to exist and were just there for a different aesthetic for the most part. 

The claws were fantastic for a medium number of enemies, blades were fantastic for crowd control and whip was fantastic for aerial combos. The bow made a good ranged weapon. The soul power in Ascension is somewhat like the claws but doesn't have a different moves making it worse, lightning power is like the whip as it is fast but it doesn't have the aerial capability of the whip. There is no bow for ranged attacks.

The cestus is a different name for the gauntlet in Chains of Olympus, its not a new weapon. The gauntlet is like the iFrit in Devil May Cry. There are no totally new weapons in 3 but together they make for a well realised weapon variety.