By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

So the YouTuber who runs the channel TheGamingBritShow wasn't going to play God of War 4 after blasting it in 2016 but because so many bugged him about it, he gave it a go. This was the result:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jMJ39_j6NQ

If this seems too long of a watch, here's a quick, loose summary.

The good:

Good graphics

More open world with tons of content

More likable characters

The bad:

Simplistic combat

No more jumping which was fun and useful in previous GoWs

A lot of walking scenes

Zoomed-in camera restricts combat

God Hand from over a decade ago handled this camera angle and beat-em-up style better

Unskippable cutscenes that eat up time

Climbing is worse than in U4

Storytelling intrudes on potential fun gameplay mechanics

Cory Barlog: "It's a great thing, it's fun, but does it tell the story from a gameplay perspective of somebody who's in the "middle-aged god phase?""

Combo counter is gone

New VA for Kratos reduces credibility

RPG elements and hack-and-slash don't mix too well

More walking scenes

God of War is another franchise that's falling to cinematic trends

If that still feels like too much then consider this quick quote from the video:

"I'd much rather have a quicktime event that lasts seconds than a walking segment that lasts minutes"

Also at the end, the frustrated narrator of the video just expresses how some games are starting to become homogenized. I kind of agree which is sort of to be expected: if something is successful, other devs are going to try to adopt aspects from it because in the end, they want to sell their product. I know cinematic elements get slammed by some and I'm not too fond of them myself but if you like that stuff, I'm not gonna try to shame you for it. Play what you like, I shouldn't even have to tell you this.

God of War 4 to me seems like an alarming case of a game from a well-known hack-and-slash series adopting aspects from games like The Last of Us and becoming incredibly successful at the cost of distancing itself from its roots. This success could also potentially influence other hack-and-slash game devs to try their hand at focusing more on storytelling so much that it results in the gameplay of their games suffering.

It seriously worries me and I'm sure some of you would be up in arms if games like The Last of Us 2 or Red Dead Redemption 2 were to stray away from their single player focus and emphasize their multiplayer more (RDR 2 might fall victim to that considering how lucrative GTA Online is).

What do you guys think? Is it time to start worrying about other hack-and-slash games after the huge success of God of War 4 with its greater focus on storytelling, storytelling that may have compromised God of War 4's gameplay?

On a related note, I'm not too sure about this new Kratos. I'm a huge admirer of the God of War franchise in part because of Kratos's no-fucks-given approach to so many things he did. Some would call him one-dimensional but I'd disagree. Kratos was complex but just not very good at showing it. He was too busy just fucking shit up, shouting as he swings his blades, having sex with random women, tearing monsters limb from limb. Loved that shit: got my adrenaline pumping.

I'm serious: you may not believe this but sometimes when I'm at work and I'm feeling sleepy, rather than drink coffee, I'd just play clips of God of War characters shouting at one-another before ripping each other apart and that shit would wake me up. I really don't know how to explain it but it's a thing.

This new Kratos playing babysitter... Not sure...

Around the Network

Confirmation bias the thread. 😂

If someone asks why I'm using an alt account, CGI and Truckusaurus got me a temp approval until I get my iconic and notorious "kurasakiichimaru" account back. :p

somebody reviewing a game he knew he would not enjoy? its like a car hater playing gran turismo.
yeeeeah not gonna watch

kurasakiichimaruALT said:
Confirmation bias the thread. 😂

Confirmation bias how?

John2290 said:

Only watched ten minutes of the video however this seems like the.. He's a Youtuber and while games do make people depressed in the same way watching a full TV series on Netflx is a bad idea this seems like a different deal, he's more fuzzeled by his fans and his Youtube "responsibilites" than anything else, then he needs to get off of youtube.

Seems he's more troubled by the changes to the original GoW formula.

John2290 said:

If I'm mistaking this whole thing and the game actually made his depressed then it's his fault for playing. I coincidentally got very depressed the second time I played TLOU remastered, I don't blame the game even though I'm sure the emotions in that game and the vibe of it had a great deal to do with it and honestly didn't even notice until I was in a hole mentally by the end of the game but if I was getting depressed becuase I'm playing a certain game and I'm not like playing the game...then that's on me completely

Don't worry, he didn't get clinically depressed, he was just bummed to see new AAA efforts being bogged down by cinematic elements.

John2290 said:

this game is incredible and this man seems like a contrarian who can't move forward like 2d gamers complaining about the ps1 and N64's "bad graphics and subpar gamplay".

The guy likes what he likes and doesn't like some emerging trends. He didn't want to play this game initially but so many bugged him with the great praise the game was getting so he felt compelled to do it for the sake of addressing the demands of his viewers.

John2290 said:

Got 10 minutes into his video and I couldn't listen to his complaining anymore...it was making me depressed, ha. After he said this climbing isn't as good as Uncharted climbing...I'm out. This is coming from someone who LOVES Gow and DMC, both the old school DMC and the reboot.

Do you believe God of War 4's climbing is better than Uncharted's?

Ultr said:
somebody reviewing a game he knew he would not enjoy? its like a car hater playing gran turismo.
yeeeeah not gonna watch

Well one never truly knows if they're going to enjoy a game before playing it. They can expect to hate it but you gotta play a game before you can form an opinion.

No real way around it.

Not gonna give this guy one click, sorry.

The only way GoW might be bad for the industry is because it sets a new standard, just like TLOU back then, which from now on will make one look at other games with different eyes because we’re so spoiled.

Around the Network

Not gonna watch the video. I'll just quote Kratos from the first few minutes of the game:

"Everything is different, boy. Don't dwell on it."

Sounds like the type that came into the game wanting to be dissapointed, so all he did was go out of his way to find whatever flaws he could, and even make some up.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Errorist76 said:

Not gonna give this guy one click, sorry.

The only way GoW might be bad for the industry is because it sets a new standard, just like TLOU back then, which from now on will make one look at other games with different eyes because we’re so spoiled.

In this case, it made the YouTuber lament the dramatic shift from hack-and-slash to more TLoU-like conventions.

People who loved TLoU would probably like this new GoW but at the cost of alienating fans of the older GoW games. Could DMC and other hack-and-slash be next with the walking segments that eat up time and touchy-feely storytelling considering how successful GoW4 was?

d21lewis said:
Not gonna watch the video. I'll just quote Kratos from the first few minutes of the game:

"Everything is different, boy. Don't dwell on it."

And I'll quote the video: "I'd much rather have a quicktime event that lasts seconds than a walking segment that lasts minutes."

I disliked the fact that GTA 5 featured more cinematic elements in its missions and being told that "it's different, don't dwell on it" doesn't do much to make the missions more fun and gamey like in previous GTAs.

DialgaMarine said:
Sounds like the type that came into the game wanting to be dissapointed, so all he did was go out of his way to find whatever flaws he could, and even make some up.

What flaws did he make up?

The only ones that will copy the style of GOW is developers who aren't really very original or just jumps on anything popular anyway. Bayonetta or Devil May Cry are not suddenly going to become just like GOW, unless the developers really have run out of ideas or just wants money and doesn't care.

John2290 said:

Do you believe God of War 4's climbing is better than Uncharted's?

And no, I do not but both are equally as unfun as each other. The very least i can say for GOW climbing is it has purpose and gets the job done and you are not cinematically falling every other jump. Both are different style of games and UC's climbing is an integral part of the ride. GoW climing is there simply for the purpose of navigating the very well designed metroid vania areas, yes the markers could be more clear but it's utility is just fine by me. 

Is there any fighting segments during climbing in God of War 4? I know there was in the older God of War games:

https://youtu.be/ssVMWEkwBkE?t=7m25s

(7:25) of