By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

d21lewis said:
Not gonna watch the video. I'll just quote Kratos from the first few minutes of the game:

"Everything is different, boy. Don't dwell on it."

Thread 

Around the Network
Snoorlax said:

I love the original God of War series and it's "fuck your feelings" attitude, we need more games and movies like this.

But the gameplay was getting stale and Ascension was proof of that so it needed to try something new. 

Darashiva said:
Considering the original games are still available to play for anyone interested in that kind of gameplay, I see no reason to complain about the new God of War doing something different. Series evolving is a good thing, otherwise they are in danger of becoming stale, and God of War was definitely getting to that point after God of War III.

I've heard this viewpoint before but why seek inspiration from The Last of Us? The two franchises are very different.

REDZONE said:
d21lewis said:
Not gonna watch the video. I'll just quote Kratos from the first few minutes of the game:

"Everything is different, boy. Don't dwell on it."

Thread 

Also from this game:

"Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed."

Boy!

I've put about 5 into God of War thus far.

The story telling is exceptional, the combat feels good, and exploring is satisfying even if it feels very limited at times.

But for me, this is par for the course for Sony. Its an enjoyable HEAVILY STORY DRIVEN experience. I can't see myself spending much time with it after I complete it and replaying it would feel like a slog. But I will keep revisiting Halo 5 and Gears 4, because the gameplay is faster paced and MP.

This is why I own multiple consoles.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

I really like GamingBritShow, but can't stand with him on this. If anything, this game pretty much felt as satsifactory as the first God of War games. However, I can concede that the result with this game is very similar to other things out there on the market, it could've tried harder to create its very own thing, but it went with the safe tactic.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

KLAMarine said:
Darashiva said:
Considering the original games are still available to play for anyone interested in that kind of gameplay, I see no reason to complain about the new God of War doing something different. Series evolving is a good thing, otherwise they are in danger of becoming stale, and God of War was definitely getting to that point after God of War III.

I've heard this viewpoint before but why seek inspiration from The Last of Us? The two franchises are very different.

I don't see why The Last of Us is somehow a bad place to seek inspiration. Santa Monica clearly wanted to do something different from what they did previously with God of War, so looking for inspiration from another similar series would have been pointless.

Kerotan said:
It's incredible what a huge talking point this game has become. Sony santa Monica have left their mark.

Every hyped release gets talked about, good and bad.

I mean I didn't hear anybody praising Rare for creating a polarizing and highly discussed game.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Darashiva said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't see why The Last of Us is somehow a bad place to seek inspiration. Santa Monica clearly wanted to do something different from what they did previously with God of War, so looking for inspiration from another similar series would have been pointless.

I feel Sony is essentially making all their action games very similar.

Recently Completed

"God of War 4 might be bad for the industry". Ookay. But God of War has great combat and side quests in addition to good story and characters. So wouldn't many Nintendo games be even worse for the industry since they only have great gameplay? Or are good story and characters universally a bad thing for games? And is it so because that's how you think or because Nintendo doesn't focus on them?

I am sorry if these questions sound weird to you, but this thread seems a bit weird to me. Like there is a dog buried somewhere. You happen to know about it?

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

- Single-player Game