By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

Farsala said:
KLAMarine said:

My solution? Hmm, well a fresh coat of paint could have done wonders. The idea of introducing Norse mythology is a neat idea but having a kid in the game seems too much like The Last of Us and touchy-feely goes against David Jaffe's original vision of appealing to primitive violent instincts from previous God of War games.

Also, have the camera more controllable by the player rather than being glued to Kratos's back. Then this game wouldn't need the little indicators surrounding Kratos's character model.

Well the kid, open world, removal of sexuality, TLOU story driven game, etc. were all done for better sales. Mainstream trends and highly rated game with critics just don't click with me that well. I will eventually buy this game to get my own opinion on it, but tbh my expectations drop each coming day. Alas God of War is not the only victim, it happens to almost every popular game. Which is why I am always a big fan of new ips. Because sometimes they actually try something  groundbreaking like the original God of War.

You might still like it, many people seem to love it, but if you're expecting a hack-and-slash romp like previous GoWs, this one might be too different. If you liked TLoU, you might like this too.

Yeah, keep this one on your to-do list.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
Farsala said:

Well the kid, open world, removal of sexuality, TLOU story driven game, etc. were all done for better sales. Mainstream trends and highly rated game with critics just don't click with me that well. I will eventually buy this game to get my own opinion on it, but tbh my expectations drop each coming day. Alas God of War is not the only victim, it happens to almost every popular game. Which is why I am always a big fan of new ips. Because sometimes they actually try something  groundbreaking like the original God of War.

You might still like it, many people seem to love it, but if you're expecting a hack-and-slash romp like previous GoWs, this one might be too different. If you liked TLoU, you might like this too.

Yeah, keep this one on your to-do list.

Eh I have personal reasons that very people would agree with. Still I gotta play it because I always like melee combat games with mythological elements, so its already different enough from TLOU.

That's cool. Just his opinion.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Mr Puggsly said:
Kerotan said:
It's incredible what a huge talking point this game has become. Sony santa Monica have left their mark.

Every hyped release gets talked about, good and bad.

I mean I didn't hear anybody praising Rare for creating a polarizing and highly discussed game.

Yeah but there are a lot of people who have no intentions of playing this talking about it. Creating more discussion which makes people more curious. Many will look up the reviews and then decide to buy. All publicity for a GOTY contender is good. 

Mar1217 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Laid back comments like this are probably the thing we're gonna see here.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's all opinion in the end.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

1.Here's God of War 3's opening. It takes three minutes before you get to do what will be the bulk of the gameplay:

I think I prefer the former over the latter.

The first God of War was even quicker. Gameplay starts at 1:20

2. I think the point the video in the OP makes is that increasing strength for example doesn't change the fact that Kratos will still be swinging his axe just the same during fights. Compare that to old God of War games where upgrades meant new moves that were more damaging and involved Kratos adding to the list of maneuvers and combos he could execute.

3. I agree GoW has always had cinematic sequences, the YouTuber in the OP wouldn't say GoW games were perfect but see how God of War 3, 4, and 1 all start up and this newest one seems it's taking the cinematic aspects to greater extremes.

4. As long as a game is made in a way faithful to the franchise's roots, at least to a degree, I think things should be fine. GoW4 seems like a very extreme deviation from the franchise's roots, too extreme for TheGamingBrit at least.

5. It certainly sounds insane but I never thought God of War would seek guidance from The Last of Us. It doesn't seem like an evolution, it seems more like borrowing from other games for the sake of wanting to tell a story.

Wanting to tell a story in a video game is nothing new.

Was the whole father-child dynamic not already covered with The Last of Us franchise?

1. So let me understand something, because it took 14mins before you got to the actual fighting in G)W4, that is somehow a bad thing? Was it a boring 14mins? was the 14mins just filler? Or was it an introduction to th emuch more opwn nature of the new game?

2. Ok... this is why I say complaining for the sake of complaining. Because GOW4 does exactly what you feel the youtuber is adhering to and then some. When yu upgrade your weapons, you unlock not just more attack power but it unlocks new moves that you now have access to on that upgrade level. And then you choose whcih moves you want to learn. So I really don't get the point here......

3. Is this a bad thing? Cause the way its being said is like the game has lost all its gameplay roots and has gone full on quantic dream on us.  Whereas thats just not true. This game has more gameplay depth tahn any of the previous games had. 

4. Well, that just sounds like he wanted to play the original three. actually the original 6 gmaes again..... I didn't even buy accension cause i was burnt out on the series. This game just doesn't breath new life into the series, but its probbaly going to e the best selling GOW game ever.  Sounds like the youtuber is against change, so much so that he looks at everything that is different as bad.

5. Ok, talk like that just sounds myopic to me. So does that mean TLoU took guidance from ICO? or any other game with a companion? I simply hate how gamers waste no time to put things in these nice little categories as opposed to take a game at its own merits. Like really, is teher is single game that is not taking cues from another game somewhere?
Again, I have no qualms with opinions and all that? But these just sound obtuse and there for the sake of being there and sounding different. Like none of the things complained about are bad.
Its like hating on a spiderman movie because they used blue in his costume just like superman wears blue....

Developing the character of Kratos into a sensitive new age guy that cares and shows empathy. Kratos in previous games has been depicted as an angry psychopath that clearly does not care and showed no empathy. Great hack n'slash combat remains but now we have more story and finally Kratos cares and shows empathy. 

Mar1217 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Laid back comments like this are probably the thing we're gonna see here.

which is the correct approach.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I think this thread makes no sense cause GoW has one of the best gameplay if not the very best in the history of hack and slash games. It also has an actualy hard hardest difficulty wich manages to stay hard even if you do every concieavable sidequest wich is a very big plus in my book.

Intrinsic said: 

5 Ok, talk like that just sounds myopic to me. So does that mean TLoU took guidance from ICO? or any other game with a companion? I simply hate how gamers waste no time to put things in these nice little categories as opposed to take a game at its own merits. Like really, is teher is single game that is not taking cues from another game somewhere?

Again, I have no qualms with opinions and all that? But these just sound obtuse and there for the sake of being there and sounding different. Like none of the things complained about are bad.
Its like hating on a spiderman movie because they used blue in his costume just like superman wears blue....

First I want say I 200% agree with your post overall, while ppl will have different opinions most of the criticism this youtuber throws around is just objectively wrong. And I wanted to adress point 5  specifically, I recently watched a spoilercast with Cory Barlog (the Easy Allies one) where he said he felt realy sad ppl used the comparison with The Last of Us as something negative, that he couldn't understand why anyone would compare the game with one of the greatest games ever made and make it seen like a negative thing. Altough I don't agree that the game feels like or even was inspired by The Last of Us, if it was the case that'd be perfectly fine cause if you gona get inspiration from something it might as well be from the most lauded game ever made.

Last edited by DakonBlackblade - on 28 April 2018

DakonBlackblade said:

First I want say I 200% agree with your post overall, while ppl will have different opinions most of the criticism this youtuber throws around is just objectively wrong. And I wanted to adress point 5  specifically, I recently watched a spoilercast with Cory Barlog (the Easy Allies one) where he said he felt realy sad ppl used the comparison with The Last of Us as something negative, that he couldn't understand why anyone would compare the game with one of the greatest games ever made and make it seen like a negative thing. Altough I don't agree that the game feels like or even was inspired by The Last of Us, if it was the case that'd be perfectly fine cause if you gona get inspiration from something it might as well be from the most lauded game ever made.

Yh, its really messed up. And in truth just goes to show how childish and small minded a lot of people are.

Ok, so the camera is over the shoulder, and you have a companion..... well so thats TLoU. I mean RE4 did the whole over the shoulder thing almsot 14 years ago. And before it theer were other games too that dabbled with it. Hell even gears had an over the shoulder cam too.... all of a sudden GOW doing it and having a companion makes it TLoU.

Why this comes off as shallow is that in their rush to putthe game in a box they miss out the parts that they really ought to have seen in the first place if playing the game was what they were doing. in this case, its that BOY is very very very useful. There are even some enemies you can't beat unless you use him. You can control him to a degree so he isn't "just theer to flesh out the story" as some would have us believe.

I mean GOW and TLoU is so different, that at no single point during my still ongoing 50hr plus playthrough did I stop to think.... yh, this is like TLoU. So when I hear people say that, I can't help but feel they are just calling it a ship because its in water.