By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

Not everyone will like the game and the new direction that's for sure, but it's not hurting the game
Other hack n slash may follow but it's not guaranteed also, so I don't see why players should worry

Around the Network
miqdadi said:
Not everyone will like the game and the new direction that's for sure, but it's not hurting the game
Other hack n slash may follow but it's not guaranteed also, so I don't see why players should worry

well of course not everyone would like the game. 

But if someone is going to cite reasons for why they don't then let those reasons at least be reasonable and true.

Hell, don't even give a reason. Just say "I don't like the game". Say the combat is too hard, say teher are too many moves or enemy types. Say the camera makes it harder. Say some of the optional bosses are OPAF. Or some of the puzzle systems are abstract and they don't explain most of it to you. Any of that would be better than saying... too much walking, unskipable cutscenes....etc.

Mar1217 said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

which is the correct approach.

Woops, I forgot the "best" part in my quote :P

It's the "best" part, in your opinion.

Intrinsic said:
KLAMarine said:

1.Here's God of War 3's opening. It takes three minutes before you get to do what will be the bulk of the gameplay:

I think I prefer the former over the latter.

The first God of War was even quicker. Gameplay starts at 1:20

2. I think the point the video in the OP makes is that increasing strength for example doesn't change the fact that Kratos will still be swinging his axe just the same during fights. Compare that to old God of War games where upgrades meant new moves that were more damaging and involved Kratos adding to the list of maneuvers and combos he could execute.

3. I agree GoW has always had cinematic sequences, the YouTuber in the OP wouldn't say GoW games were perfect but see how God of War 3, 4, and 1 all start up and this newest one seems it's taking the cinematic aspects to greater extremes.

4. As long as a game is made in a way faithful to the franchise's roots, at least to a degree, I think things should be fine. GoW4 seems like a very extreme deviation from the franchise's roots, too extreme for TheGamingBrit at least.

5. It certainly sounds insane but I never thought God of War would seek guidance from The Last of Us. It doesn't seem like an evolution, it seems more like borrowing from other games for the sake of wanting to tell a story.

Wanting to tell a story in a video game is nothing new.

Was the whole father-child dynamic not already covered with The Last of Us franchise?

1. So let me understand something, because it took 14mins before you got to the actual fighting in G)W4, that is somehow a bad thing? Was it a boring 14mins? was the 14mins just filler? Or was it an introduction to th emuch more opwn nature of the new game?

2. Ok... this is why I say complaining for the sake of complaining. Because GOW4 does exactly what you feel the youtuber is adhering to and then some. When yu upgrade your weapons, you unlock not just more attack power but it unlocks new moves that you now have access to on that upgrade level. And then you choose whcih moves you want to learn. So I really don't get the point here......

3. Is this a bad thing? Cause the way its being said is like the game has lost all its gameplay roots and has gone full on quantic dream on us.  Whereas thats just not true. This game has more gameplay depth tahn any of the previous games had. 

4. Well, that just sounds like he wanted to play the original three. actually the original 6 gmaes again..... I didn't even buy accension cause i was burnt out on the series. This game just doesn't breath new life into the series, but its probbaly going to e the best selling GOW game ever.  Sounds like the youtuber is against change, so much so that he looks at everything that is different as bad.

5. Ok, talk like that just sounds myopic to me. So does that mean TLoU took guidance from ICO? or any other game with a companion? I simply hate how gamers waste no time to put things in these nice little categories as opposed to take a game at its own merits. Like really, is teher is single game that is not taking cues from another game somewhere?
Again, I have no qualms with opinions and all that? But these just sound obtuse and there for the sake of being there and sounding different. Like none of the things complained about are bad.
Its like hating on a spiderman movie because they used blue in his costume just like superman wears blue....

1. 14 minutes is too long for my taste especially when compared to predecessors and how quickly they jumped into the action. Was it boring? I thought so, I'm used to Kratos yelling and ripping monsters apart. I'm used to God of War games and hack-and-slash games in general getting my adrenaline pumping, not to relax me like a stroll at a park.

2. The video in the OP acknowledges there are moves to be learned (5:55, 15:55). He says he likes this. I think his beef is just things like increasing strength don't do much to teaching Kratos new moves. A swing of Kratos's axe at strength 5 plays the same as one at strength 6 or 7.

3. In my opinion, yes. More extreme cinematic sequences are a bad thing.

4. I think it's more a fact of this new GoW moving away from the hack-and-slash conventions which existed in the franchise prior. Kratos can't jump anymore, the camera is glued to Kratos's back now, there are walking sections now, no more combo counter. I'm sure this new God of War will get tons of fans but for old-time fans like TheGamingBrit, this new God of War formula just doesn't seem for him.

5. Maybe The Last of Us DID take inspiration from Ico but when TLoU released in 2013, it was a new IP. This new God of War is one with previous titles being hack-and-slash titles with fans of said genre partaking in the game.

They're two different scenarios where TLoU is a new franchise giving it a chance to establish its identity. God of War 4 is a franchise grabbing some conventions from a disparate title and betraying some of its previous identity. Could you imagine if The Last of Us 2 were to become a kart racer or turn-based strategy or multiplayer only? I think some people would reach for their torches and pitchforks.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 28 April 2018

KLAMarine said:

1. 14 minutes is too long for my taste especially when compared to predecessors and how quickly they jumped into the action. Was it boring? I thought so, I'm used to Kratos yelling and ripping monsters apart. I'm used to God of War games and hack-and-slash games in general getting my adrenaline pumping, not to relax me like a stroll at a park.

2. The video in the OP acknowledges there are moves to be learned (5:55, 15:55). He says he likes this. I think his beef is just things like increasing strength don't do much to teaching Kratos new moves. A swing of Kratos's axe at strength 5 plays the same as one at strength 6 or 7.

3. In my opinion, yes. More extreme cinematic sequences are a bad thing.

4. I think it's more a fact of this new GoW moving away from the hack-and-slash conventions which existed in the franchise prior. Kratos can't jump anymore, the camera is glued to Kratos's back now, there are walking sections now, no more combo counter. I'm sure this new God of War will get tons of fans but for old-time fans like TheGamingBrit, this new God of War formula just doesn't seem for him.

5. Maybe The Last of Us DID take inspiration from Ico but when TLoU released in 2013, it was a new IP. This new God of War is one with previous titles being hack-and-slash titles with fans of said genre partaking in the game.

They're two different scenarios where TLoU is a new franchise giving it a chance to establish its identity. God of War 4 is a franchise grabbing some conventions from a disparate title and betraying some of its previous identity. Could you imagine if The Last of Us 2 were to become a kart racer or turn-based strategy or multiplayer only? I think some people would reach for their torches and pitchforks.

Youre basicaly criticising the game for being exactly what it set out to be, its like watching a comedy and then saying it sucks cause its a comedy not an horror movie. Youd have a point if the game had been advertised as more of the same and then you got it and it was completly different, when in fact they said from the get go, this is very very different from the old games, anyone who plays it expecting the old games will obviously be disapointed.

Point 2 is nonsensical tough, stats work like that, they don't change mechanics (some even actualy do, like luck and cooldown) they just make you stronger, thats how stats work. And there are a lot of depth to the whole thing here, you have talismans with different use powers, different rune skills, enchantments with a multitude of different passive abilitys, pommels that have a multitude of effects that affect gameplay and even armor sets that give you some extra skills that will also have a visible impact on gameplay (aside from learnable skills).

About point 4, thats just not true, ppl who don't want anything to change have a problem with the new GoW, but a lot of ppl who love the series (me included) played the new GoW and loved it to bits understanding that this was a different take on the series and because it has enormous respect and love to the lore of the world and the character of Kratos. Also the gameplay is pure fun.

And adressing the comparison to TLoU again, this game ahs nothing in common to that one, aside from having a companion, and even that isn't very similar cause Atreus is fundamentaly integrated on the gameplay. I played on the "Give me God of War" difficulty and completed 100% of the game, the difficulty is super brutal and Atreus is the key to sucess, the kid can do wonders in battle, by himself and at your command, without him the gameplay looses half of its fun.

Also the whole underline worry that the youtuber has, that this game is bad for the industry because it has too much story, is a falacy caus ethe industry needs as many single player games as it can get since companies nowadays only want to do some multiplayer arena of whatever with no story where you repeatedly do the same thing over and over again and gets addicted.

Last edited by DakonBlackblade - on 29 April 2018

Around the Network

That was actually a very interesting review, really speaking to many I bet

Outside having a kid this game is nothing like Last of Us. People really need to stop....puzzles, gameplay, game world, fights, nothing like it at all.

Person who made this post hasn't even played the game to have a valid opinion. Saying it could be bad for the industry is one of the dumbest things ive read.

Preston Scott

I'm enjoying the game very much, but it does indeed not feel all that much like GoW. More like a cross between Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, Tombraider reboot and Tlou with Commander Worf and Alexander in the lead roles.

I'm not bothered by walking segments or story parts at all, yet I do find myself spending too much time in the menus, crafting, comparing, upgrading. Horizon Zero Dawn had a better ratio of menu vs gameplay, better map as well. Exploring is more fun in GoW with all the little side areas with integrated puzzles, BotW shrine style mini dungeons.

Yeah it is so good as it is combining the great elements of many games.

Btw what do I do when the counter circle is red? When it's whitish you counter with a timed shield press afaik, yet when it's red that doesn't seem to work. I kinda suck at it though and let the kid do most of the work while I throw the axe from a distance :/ The enemies are so fast and hit so hard, I'm getting too old for this!

DialgaMarine said:
Sounds like the type that came into the game wanting to be dissapointed, so all he did was go out of his way to find whatever flaws he could, and even make some up.

That's exactly what he did. 

The PS5 Exists. 

GamingBritShow is a Devil May Cry fanboy who always hated on the old God of War games for being different kind of hack and slash and popular than DMC. This makes his complaints about this game being different than older GOW games funnier. He criticises the game for doing what Naughty Dog games do while he praises Naughty Dog games.

He is so full of shit. Always been a God of War hater and has an echo chamber of followers chanting what he says while they haven't played the game. He is justifying his rant on E3 2016 reveal in the face of gamers and critics saying otherwise. Funny that all haters are the people who didn't play the game.