By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - YouTuber plays God of War 4 and laments it. God of War 4 might set dangerous trend.

some think they can get clicks and viewers for being shitty about things.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
GOWTLOZ said:

You can't criticise one dev of doing the same thing you love another dev for and that's what TGBS is doing.

Explain. What dev and what game and where does TGBS do this?

GOWTLOZ said:

Its apparent from all his other videos that he hates older God of War games and he continues to hate on the series to this day, just finds some reason for it.

So what has he said and in what videos? Wherein said videos? Give specifics.

GOWTLOZ said:

His analysis of the combat in previous games is misleading, like he only played them on easy mode going over all the nuances. The fact he says God of War is a hack and slash game for kids in his God of War 4 rant two years ago shows that he is full of crap. I'll call him for what he is, a douchebag.

I assume you speak of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6vIDCK7iQ

Where does he say "God of War is a hack and slash game for kids"?

Are you intentionally playing dumb?

Last edited by GOWTLOZ - on 01 May 2018

Hynad said:
I have to question why you thought this was worthy of a thread, if not to bait people.

It's a joke thread just like the other one.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
DakonBlackblade said:

KLAMarine said: 

>TheGamingBrit is free to post whatever he likes on YouTube.

>TGB agrees with you that stats don't drastically change gameplay. I believe the point he was trying to make was he'd rather have unlockable moves (which he acknowledges are in this game and approves of) over unlockable stat points in a hack-and-slash.

>I don't think either of us said that...

>Who said they were TLoU's invention?

>A story can be a detractor if a focus on the story interferes with gameplay. In this God of War's case, Cory Barlog seems to have not given Kratos the ability to jump because he thought it made less sense story-wise, an ability TGB would have liked in the game. An ability that could have opened up the way in which the player controls Kratos. Additional movesets could have been implemented.

That does not make him right, it makes him very biased, anyone with any integrity should know they should not review things when they are biased, positively or negatively.

So its settled, he doesn't have a point, GoW has unlockable moves, it has more than that with customizable spells, talisman and enchantments, and it also has stats wich everyone in the conversation agrees don't ever affect the gameplay since they ahve started being use din videogames ages ago.

You definetly did, he sorta did, altough everyone knows he hates the series as a whole

You did, you called them "TLoU's convention" , they aren't and never will be TLoU's conventions.  Also you kinda ignored 90% of the point I made for lack of having how to refute it I asume, GoW has no relation whatsoever to TLoU, its a very different game, even the companions aren't comparable, Atreus and Ellie are apples and oranges.

Jumping has 0 to do with story, you can tell a story the same way wheter your character jumps or not, not jumping was a gameplay decision, they wanted a more methodical combat style and controlled exploration,  loosely inspired on the soul series I'd say, therefore decided against allowing the character to jump. And ye it would 100% change the exploration, but considering this aspect in this game is objectively good, this is not a detractor at all, maybe if you jumped it would make exploring worse, we will never know, it is a very real possibility tough, as is the one that itd make it better. As I said the game has a different take on Hack and Slash gameplay, anyone is allowed to dislike the new take, its personal preferences, that does not change the fact that what was given to us is incredibly well made. And we go back to what I said and you carefully forgot to respond to, GoW has always had a story, the story is just much better now, so they enhanced one aspect of the game, but the bulk of the game is still exploration and combat, the story is even less intrusive now than it was before cause you'd have a clear interruption in gameplay for it to be told, on this new GoW it is told as you play, there are almost no real gaemplay breaks. 

Also are you like this guy's PR or something, you speak like he is an entity with all the knowledge in the world "The Gaming Brit can do as he pleases" "The Gaming Brit is all knowing" "Everyone is dumb, the Gaming Brit saw the truth", let me tell you something, why don't you play the game and come to your own conclusions ?

John2290 said: 

That's dodge time right there. Pretty sure orange is dodge too.

Red is you can't block nor parry, so only dodge works, orange means you cant block but can parry, so you cna either parry or dodge.

"That does not make him right, it makes him very biased, anyone with any integrity should know they should not review things when they are biased, positively or negatively."

>TGB's freedom to post what he wants on YT makes him biased?

"So its settled, he doesn't have a point, GoW has unlockable moves, it has more than that with customizable spells, talisman and enchantments, and it also has stats wich everyone in the conversation agrees don't ever affect the gameplay since they ahve started being use din videogames ages ago."

>TGB wasn't saying the game doesn't have unlockables, he basically said he doesn't like having stats in hack-and-slash games. His complaint against stats is what you're saying right now: they don't affect gameplay hence why he doesn't like them. He explains this in the video.

"You definetly did, he sorta did, altough everyone knows he hates the series as a whole"

>Where did I or he say that being a fan of the old games means one will not like this new one? I ask because that's not at all my position. It's not impossible that old GoW fans like this new one.

"You did, you called them "TLoU's convention" , they aren't and never will be TLoU's conventions."

>TLoU certainly didn't invent having an accompanying NPC but it is certainly known for having it. TLoU is known for the convention.

"Also you kinda ignored 90% of the point I made for lack of having how to refute it I asume, GoW has no relation whatsoever to TLoU, its a very different game, even the companions aren't comparable, Atreus and Ellie are apples and oranges."

>Do these two games have or not have the following similarities? Over-the-shoulder camera angle, a kid following you around, walking sections, an inability to jump. My point is they're not terribly different.

"Jumping has 0 to do with story, you can tell a story the same way wheter your character jumps or not not jumping was a gameplay decision, they wanted a more methodical combat style and controlled exploration,  loosely inspired on the soul series I'd say, therefore decided against allowing the character to jump. And ye it would 100% change the exploration, but considering this aspect in this game is objectively good, this is not a detractor at all, maybe if you jumped it would make exploring worse, we will never know, it is a very real possibility tough, as is the one that itd make it better."

>Okay but when Cory says the following, it seems to me like the story was a factor in removing the jump ability:

"Jump combos are wonderful, and I was an advocate for them. When I arrived on God of War 1 there was no jump combat, there was no grabbing a guy in the air and slamming him to the ground. I added all that and I fought to put it in. But as I looked at what we were going to do on this game, I realized that we don't necessarily need it. It's a great thing, it's fun, but does it tell the story from a gameplay perspective of somebody who's in the "middle-aged god phase?" He's more measured now, he's more thoughtful, and he's more strategic. We didn't slow the game down arbitrarily. We did it to show that he's more competent, he's smarter. Because when I returned here, I realized that I made decisions in a different way. I'm older, I look at the world in a different way, and I'm surrounded with people who worked on God of War 1 who are all older. We've marveled at the fact that the way we used to make games was with a chip on our shoulder, thumb our nose at the man, prove everyone wrong."

"As I said the game has a different take on Hack and Slash gameplay, anyone is allowed to dislike the new take, its personal preferences"

>I won't dispute this and TGB counts himself as among the people who dislike the new take.

"that does not change the fact that what was given to us is incredibly well made."

>Certainly impressive from a technical standpoint.

"And we go back to what I said and you carefully forgot to respond to, GoW has always had a story, the story is just much better now, so they enhanced one aspect of the game, but the bulk of the game is still exploration and combat, the story is even less intrusive now than it was before cause you'd have a clear interruption in gameplay for it to be told, on this new GoW it is told as you play, there are almost no real gaemplay breaks."

>Did I ever claim the old GoWs didn't have a story?

"Also are you like this guy's PR or something, you speak like he is an entity with all the knowledge in the world "The Gaming Brit can do as he pleases" "The Gaming Brit is all knowing" "Everyone is dumb, the Gaming Brit saw the truth", let me tell you something, why don't you play the game and come to your own conclusions ?"

>That's the name of his channel: TheGamingBritShow and I'm calling the narrator TheGamingBrit. I don't know his actual name.

GOWTLOZ said:
KLAMarine said:

Explain. What dev and what game and where does TGBS do this?

So what has he said and in what videos? Wherein said videos? Give specifics.

I assume you speak of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6vIDCK7iQ

Where does he say "God of War is a hack and slash game for kids"?

Are you intentionally playing dumb?

No. Are you going to answer my questions?

deskpro2k3 said:
Hynad said:
I have to question why you thought this was worthy of a thread, if not to bait people.

If it's a joke thread like you say, why are you still here?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

Hynad said:

Bait people to what? I think the fact that a hack-and-slash franchise has changed itself so drastically and now resembles a game like TLoU a lot more and goes on to be very successful is something to worry about and thread-worthy.

I do worry games like DMC and Bayonetta might be influenced by this success in a negative way. Additionally, God of War was once a good gateway franchise that helped introduce people to the hack-and-slash genre. Not so much now...

God of War is still a hack and slash game. It's simply less arcadey this time around. Less brainless. More grounded.
Since you bring up the shoulder camera, and say it's among the aspects that makes the game bad for the industry, why don't you blame RE4 for it? That's the game that popularized that view point. And TLOU because there's a sidekick? That seems to be a very myopic way of judging the game. As if TLOU was the first game to do it. 

But I guess all hack and slash games need to follow the brainless, no shit given formula from DMC and Bayonetta. Anything different will end up being the bane of the video game industry...

Seems to me like you're bringing this guy's video here to get the opportunity of downplaying both TLOU and the new GoW.

KLAMarine said:
DakonBlackblade said:

K so he shouldn't go around posting a review as he is the only one who sees the truth when the fact is you he is biased. 

He can adress it as much as he wants, fact of the matter is stats are just stats, increasing them should not and will never change gameplay, not at large, they do in a way, if you have more defense and therefore can absorb more blows you migth get more reckless, if you deal more damage you might choose to rush a particularly dangerous enemy to get him out of the equation quickly and whatnot.

Being a fan of the old games does not mean you will dislike this, you claimed it would (or The Gamming Brit did). This new game has imense respect for the series as a whole, its quite beautfull to be honest, anyone whos a true fan will notice it real quickly.

None of those things are TLoU's inventions, those things happen in like 1 billion other games. And the puzzle part isn't even right, Kratos solves 99% of the puzzles by himself, when you need Atreus it is to shoot a magic arrow at some exploding thing or something like that, and you need to command him to do it so its not like getting a wooden raft for Ellie to cross a river at all. If the new GoW had no companion no one would be comapring it to TLoU. Also the old GoW had a tom of puzzles, probably more than this one has.

GoW always had a story, its just much better now than it was before, the game having an extra faccet does not make it worse, it makes it much better. Ive played the game for like 60 hours, at least 90% of those were exploring/navigating the environment and fighting, wich is exactly what you always did in this series, the main focus of the game is still the action and exploration. The combat is different but its just another take at hack and slash, one may prefer the old one over the new one, fine, but saying the gamming having a well developed story is somehow a detractor is wierd. Ppl with this mentaly is exactly the reaosn why all we get today are dumb multiplayer games with no substance at all.

"K so he shouldn't go around posting a review as he is the only one who sees the truth when the fact is you he is biased. "

>TheGamingBrit is free to post whatever he likes on YouTube.

"He can adress it as much as he wants, fact of the matter is stats are just stats, increasing them should not and will never change gameplay, not at large, they do in a way, if you have more defense and therefore can absorb more blows you migth get more reckless, if you deal more damage you might choose to rush a particularly dangerous enemy to get him out of the equation quickly and whatnot."

>TGB agrees with you that stats don't drastically change gameplay. I believe the point he was trying to make was he'd rather have unlockable moves (which he acknowledges are in this game and approves of) over unlockable stat points in a hack-and-slash.

"Being a fan of the old games does not mean you will dislike this, you claimed it would (or The Gamming Brit did)."

>I don't think either of us said that...

"None of those things are TLoU's inventions, those things happen in like 1 billion other games."

>Who said they were TLoU's invention?

"GoW always had a story, its just much better now than it was before, the game having an extra faccet does not make it worse, it makes it much better. Ive played the game for like 60 hours, at least 90% of those were exploring/navigating the environment and fighting, wich is exactly what you always did in this series, the main focus of the game is still the action and exploration. The combat is different but its just another take at hack and slash, one may prefer the old one over the new one, fine, but saying the gamming having a well developed story is somehow a detractor is wierd. Ppl with this mentaly is exactly the reaosn why all we get today are dumb multiplayer games with no substance at all."

>A story can be a detractor if a focus on the story interferes with gameplay. In this God of War's case, Cory Barlog seems to have not given Kratos the ability to jump because he thought it made less sense story-wise, an ability TGB would have liked in the game. An ability that could have opened up the way in which the player controls Kratos. Additional movesets could have been implemented.

Eric2048 said:

No, this idea that games need to be formulaic and never change is bad for the industry. it's one of the reasons i didn't like the most recent ratchet and clank. it's prettier than the previous games but does nothing different. sure, maybe it's good if you haven't played the previous games that did the same things only better. I hope they change things up a bit in the next game. I'm glad Santa Monica made the changes they did to God of War it's still fundamentally the same but it adds elements from other games to make it feel fresh.

Might have been because it was a remake of sorts...

Remake or not you can still see that the series formula is aging just look at the game right before that.

how well do you think the new God of War would have been received if they had stuck to the old formula hmm?

Would people be praising it as great game or would they be rolling their eyes saying "Here we go again".

KLAMarine said:
deskpro2k3 said:

Being a good samaritan.

(in a previous post)

Me: "Who is he to say what a ND game should be like and a hack & slash game should be like?"

You: "A guy who buys and plays games and is also entitled to his own opinion?"

Oh please. Franchises like MGS, Final Fantasy, Mario, Castlevania, SimCity, and Civilization would've never evolved with that kind of excuse.

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 01 May 2018

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:
KLAMarine said:

Being a good samaritan.

(in a previous post)

Me: "Who is he to say what a ND game should be like and a hack & slash game should be like?"

You: "A guy who buys and plays games and is also entitled to his own opinion?"

Oh please. Franchises like MGS, Final Fantasy, Mario, Castlevania, SimCity, and Civilization would've never evolved with that kind of excuse.

Based on what he does here, he seems to be more entitled to this guy's opinion than the guy himself.

Wow a guy that blasted the game before it came out didn't like the game?

I'm so surprised.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'