By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

All retail 251 20.06%

Mostly retail 426 34.05%

About half and half 218 17.43%

Mostly digital 202 16.15%

All digital 130 10.39%

I don't buy games 17 1.36%

Other 7 0.56%

Total:1,251
Joe Schiaffi said:

Pay attention man: Rise of the Tomb Raider IT'S NOT cheaper on the PSN than retail, it's AT THE MOMENT cheaper on the PSN than on retail, but the standard price is 59,99  € (if you see, it's the crossed price  written) on the PS STORE, while in shops you can ALWAYS at any moment, find it at 29,99 euros, and the special edition with artbook and some download codes.

It's important because you have to consider the standard retail price and not a standard price with a momentary special prices that will last some days. 

And all this without considering the used market: for example I could Purchase Ni No Kuni II PS4 at my local store for just 39,99 € or, yesterday, I bought Yakuza 6 preowned at 39,99 € (essential art edition). And I can still resell them if I want (but are great games so I will keep them). So, really, digital has sense only with 75% discount off (like Rise of the Tomb Raider that you mentioned) :)

I disagree. I plan to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider NOW, and NOW it is €16. So let me rephrase my question: Why should I pay LATER €29,99 when I can pay RIGHT NOW €16 only for this game?

I obviously would never buy the game at the standard €59,99 But by waiting for the right moment I can buy the game for a BETTER price on digital than I could ever on physical.

Once I buy it, It does not matter anymore if the game goes back to €59,99 cause I got it for €16 and that will never change.

Around the Network
yvanjean said:
Rob5VGC said:
Retail til the day I die.

You don't download any indie games, subscribe to any online service like Xbox live, Playstation Plus, Gamepass or PS Now. Have you bought any DLC or expensions?

Any downloaded games you get from these services is considered Digital purchases. 

Actually, you know what, I don't download any indie games, I don't have Xbox Live Gold, PS+, Game Pass nor PS Now, and I don't buy DLC or expansions.

Age plays a big factor in this conversation, as you get older and have much more disposable income. You will start leaning to the convenience and prefer less clutter that digital offers.

Also if you own a switch, it doesn't really make much sense to go all digital. There internal hard drive is so small and cost to buy an micro SD is pretty expensive for limited space.

I think every one that said they buy all retail are lying, unless they live in a remote area without access to internet.

Last edited by yvanjean - on 20 April 2018

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I disagree. I plan to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider NOW, and NOW it is €16. So let me rephrase my question: Why should I pay LATER €29,99 when I can pay RIGHT NOW €16 only for this game?

I obviously would never buy the game at the standard €59,99 But by waiting for the right moment I can buy the game for a BETTER price on digital than I could ever on physical.

Once I buy it, It does not matter anymore if the game goes back to €59,99 cause I got it for €16 and that will never change.

Off course man, you'd better take advantage of this offer, absolutely. But for people who cannot buy it now, (maybe they still don't have the console or they are playing other titles at the moment) it would be a bad deal to purchase it digitally at 59,99. What i Want to say it's that you cannot say 'digital it's cheaper' based only on a momentaneum deal, while during the whole time its always cheaper physical.

To me it's bad to have only one shop to buy (the store) the physical alternative is vital, and with the deals that every shop do on their own, you have lot of choices and the chance to truly save a lot of money.

When physical formats would be gone (unfortunately its the way I think) we will lose lot of choice and with less price competition, prices will be higher and we would only be able to purchase tiles waiting for discount (since that paying 69,9 euros for a download file its a crime, to me and there is no wway that games will come out cheaper than that, on D1).

Mostly digital. Less hassle dealing with storage.

Around the Network

I used to prefer retail on PS4 (PC is all digital obviously), but since I account share with my brother and PSVR is more comfortable with it I‘m mostly all digital these days.

TalonMan said:
yvanjean said: 

I think every one that said they buy all retail are lying, unless they live in a remote area without access to internet.

I live 20 minutes outside NYC:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8767865

What about Snipper clip, Celeste, Stardew Valley, Minecraft, Golf Story, Picross s, Shovel Knight, Fast RMX?

It's been mostly digital for me.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

I still buy majority at retail but with the switch I have been kicking myself for not going full digital. Perhaps the next game I buy for it I will actually do digitally.

Neodegenerate said:
I still buy majority at retail but with the switch I have been kicking myself for not going full digital. Perhaps the next game I buy for it I will actually do digitally.

With the very limited memory space of the Switch perhaps you'd be better off sticking with physical games...