By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

 

How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

All retail 251 20.06%
 
Mostly retail 426 34.05%
 
About half and half 218 17.43%
 
Mostly digital 202 16.15%
 
All digital 130 10.39%
 
I don't buy games 17 1.36%
 
Other 7 0.56%
 
Total:1,251

Mostly retail. I love the feeling to have the physical box art in my hands. But sometimes if there are very good discounts in the Playstation Store I buy some games as digital too.



Around the Network

my main convention is "Buy physical only if it is cheaper or not available digitally"

the main series pokemon games are the only exception, I will always buy them physically



Joe Schiaffi said:

Off course, retail.

Still can't understand why people buy at the same price digital: you don't own anything, you can't resell the game, excahnge it, or find it preowned ad lower price. Digital on console make sense only on titles discounted 75% off.
And not only, here in Europe, prices on physical are way cheaper than digital, I can found lot of titles to 39,99 or 29,99 that on the store costs 69,99 euros or 49 or 59, and then I still can resell them to purchase other titles.

Really guys, how can people but digital at the same price of the physical? It doesn't make any sense.

Rise of the Tomb Raider costs 16 euros on the PSN, so why should I pay 29,99 or 39,99 in a store?

If a game is the same price on both digital and physical copies I'm going with physical of course but this happens less and less frequently. Digital sales offer better prices than physical sales.

And true that you don't own a digital game but these days you don't really own a physical game either. Most physical games are now incomplete and you must download day one patches to make them work properly.



mostly only buy digital on xbox one, physical on ps4. I feel i will be able to go back on my old purchases down the road more with MS than Sony at this point. I am also an elite gamestop member and get decent discounts on used games which is a big portion as well for physical purchases.

plus for digital, 99% of the time, i wait for a gold discount or sale, its so rare I buy full price digital, only Halo and Gears games I do that with.



 

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider costs 16 euros on the PSN, so why should I pay 29,99 or 39,99 in a store?

If a game is the same price on both digital and physical copies I'm going with physical of course but this happens less and less frequently. Digital sales offer better prices than physical sales.

And true that you don't own a digital game but these days you don't really own a physical game either. Most physical games are now incomplete and you must download day one patches to make them work properly.

Pay attention man: Rise of the Tomb Raider IT'S NOT cheaper on the PSN than retail, it's AT THE MOMENT cheaper on the PSN than on retail, but the standard price is 59,99  € (if you see, it's the crossed price  written) on the PS STORE, while in shops you can ALWAYS at any moment, find it at 29,99 euros, and the special edition with artbook and some download codes.

It's important because you have to consider the standard retail price and not a standard price with a momentary special prices that will last some days. 

And all this without considering the used market: for example I could Purchase Ni No Kuni II PS4 at my local store for just 39,99 € or, yesterday, I bought Yakuza 6 preowned at 39,99 € (essential art edition). And I can still resell them if I want (but are great games so I will keep them). So, really, digital has sense only with 75% discount off (like Rise of the Tomb Raider that you mentioned) :)

Last edited by Joe Schiaffi - on 20 April 2018

Around the Network
Rob5VGC said:
Retail til the day I die.

You don't download any indie games, subscribe to any online service like Xbox live, Playstation Plus, Gamepass or PS Now. Have you bought any DLC or expensions?

Any downloaded games you get from these services is considered Digital purchases. 



Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

Joe Schiaffi said:

Pay attention man: Rise of the Tomb Raider IT'S NOT cheaper on the PSN than retail, it's AT THE MOMENT cheaper on the PSN than on retail, but the standard price is 59,99  € (if you see, it's the crossed price  written) on the PS STORE, while in shops you can ALWAYS at any moment, find it at 29,99 euros, and the special edition with artbook and some download codes.

It's important because you have to consider the standard retail price and not a standard price with a momentary special prices that will last some days. 

And all this without considering the used market: for example I could Purchase Ni No Kuni II PS4 at my local store for just 39,99 € or, yesterday, I bought Yakuza 6 preowned at 39,99 € (essential art edition). And I can still resell them if I want (but are great games so I will keep them). So, really, digital has sense only with 75% discount off (like Rise of the Tomb Raider that you mentioned) :)

I disagree. I plan to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider NOW, and NOW it is €16. So let me rephrase my question: Why should I pay LATER €29,99 when I can pay RIGHT NOW €16 only for this game?

I obviously would never buy the game at the standard €59,99 But by waiting for the right moment I can buy the game for a BETTER price on digital than I could ever on physical.

Once I buy it, It does not matter anymore if the game goes back to €59,99 cause I got it for €16 and that will never change.



yvanjean said:
Rob5VGC said:
Retail til the day I die.

You don't download any indie games, subscribe to any online service like Xbox live, Playstation Plus, Gamepass or PS Now. Have you bought any DLC or expensions?

Any downloaded games you get from these services is considered Digital purchases. 

Actually, you know what, I don't download any indie games, I don't have Xbox Live Gold, PS+, Game Pass nor PS Now, and I don't buy DLC or expansions.



Age plays a big factor in this conversation, as you get older and have much more disposable income. You will start leaning to the convenience and prefer less clutter that digital offers.

Also if you own a switch, it doesn't really make much sense to go all digital. There internal hard drive is so small and cost to buy an micro SD is pretty expensive for limited space.

I think every one that said they buy all retail are lying, unless they live in a remote area without access to internet.

Last edited by yvanjean - on 20 April 2018

Tommy Jean, CPA, CGA

CrazyGamer2017 said:

I disagree. I plan to buy Rise of the Tomb Raider NOW, and NOW it is €16. So let me rephrase my question: Why should I pay LATER €29,99 when I can pay RIGHT NOW €16 only for this game?

I obviously would never buy the game at the standard €59,99 But by waiting for the right moment I can buy the game for a BETTER price on digital than I could ever on physical.

Once I buy it, It does not matter anymore if the game goes back to €59,99 cause I got it for €16 and that will never change.

Off course man, you'd better take advantage of this offer, absolutely. But for people who cannot buy it now, (maybe they still don't have the console or they are playing other titles at the moment) it would be a bad deal to purchase it digitally at 59,99. What i Want to say it's that you cannot say 'digital it's cheaper' based only on a momentaneum deal, while during the whole time its always cheaper physical.

To me it's bad to have only one shop to buy (the store) the physical alternative is vital, and with the deals that every shop do on their own, you have lot of choices and the chance to truly save a lot of money.

When physical formats would be gone (unfortunately its the way I think) we will lose lot of choice and with less price competition, prices will be higher and we would only be able to purchase tiles waiting for discount (since that paying 69,9 euros for a download file its a crime, to me and there is no wway that games will come out cheaper than that, on D1).