By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

All retail 251 20.06%

Mostly retail 426 34.05%

About half and half 218 17.43%

Mostly digital 202 16.15%

All digital 130 10.39%

I don't buy games 17 1.36%

Other 7 0.56%

Total:1,251
d21lewis said:
VAMatt said:

So you paid for games twice, even though the second time you gained nothing but the ability to play the game without inserting a disk?

Pretty much.

I have multiple consoles in different rooms of my home with a ton of games downloaded on each of them. I can (for example) start playing Gears of War 4 in my game room. Wake up in the middle of the night in my bed and continue right where I left off. I can even play two player games on two different consoles with at the same time with only one purchase.

It's pretty cool. Plus the ones I've purchased a second time (ie: Quantum Break, Gears Ultimate Edition,  Tomb Raider, SunsettOverdrive, Batman Arkham Knight, Until Dawn, etc) ranged from totally free to maybe less than $20.

Well, you might as well go all the way and just re-purchase Uncharted 4 and Gravity Rush Remastered as well.

Around the Network

I have been 100% digital since the middle of the last gen. Haven’t bought a physical copy in like 8 years...

TalonMan said:

Between the 20% off (including SPECIAL EDITION items, which Amazon is almost always hit or miss with) and the points you receive back and are able to convert into MORE discounts, you honestly CAN NOT beat what Best Buy is offering. It's almost ridiculous, and you almost have to wonder how Best Buy even makes any money off the GCU???

I don't think they make money off of GCU directly.  I think the idea is that by getting you into their stores or onto their website often, you'll buy other things.  After all, your new game would look better on a new TV.  

Been all Digital, on all Platforms, since 2010. Only exception is the rare case where a game game was only available retail. Last game I bought retail was Disney Infinity 2.0 for the PlayStation Vita, so I haven't bought a physical game since May 2015.

Even in gifting, I only gift digital. On Xbox, I gift directly from the Xbox/Windows Store, on PlayStation and Nintendo I give PSN Cards and E-Shop Cards.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

PC: Digital (save for physical copies of WoW and ESO).

Consoles: (half digital/physical (Switch all digital, 3DS half physical/digital).

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network

I prefer retail,not a fan of digital,unless there's no other choice for digital of course

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I prefer retail. The only time I buy digital is with super old games (PS1, N64, SNES, etc) that can be bought on PSN or Virtual Console

TalonMan said:
VAMatt said:

I don't think they make money off of GCU directly.  I think the idea is that by getting you into their stores or onto their website often, you'll buy other things.  After all, your new game would look better on a new TV.  

LOL!!! Yeah, but how many people REALLY go into their store??? I know I haven't been in one (except for that one time I didn't want to wait for shipping, and decided to pick up the game) - what about you?

I tend to think the VAST majority of club members are shopping online - and I know if I ever need a new TV to go with my games, I would NEVER make a rash decision and purchase one on the spot, without at least doing a bit of research (especially on PRICE)...   ...so at least as far as I'm concerned - they are losing a shit-ton of money with me! Ha! Ha! Ha??? :(

I made back that $35 club price on my very first order, and have purchased close to 50 games from them (and not a single other "non game" item) - there's no way on any Earth, they aren't LOSING money with my being a "loyal shopper"...

yeah, I'm sure they are losing money on you. But, in my case, I purchased every one of my games in their store. I live right next to one.  I certainly don't buy expensive items like TVs on the spot. But, I've spent a lot of time in their stores since joining Gamers Club.  That is a lot of time spent admiringTVs,  computers, appliances, and everything else they sell. I have purchased a TV, home theater stuff, and some other less significant items from them over the  two and a half years that I've been a member of Gamers Club.   It's impossible for me to say exactly how much influence my frequent trips to Best Buy have had on my purchasing behavior, but I bet it's a lot more than zero.