By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

All retail 251 20.06%

Mostly retail 426 34.05%

About half and half 218 17.43%

Mostly digital 202 16.15%

All digital 130 10.39%

I don't buy games 17 1.36%

Other 7 0.56%

Total:1,251

I buy almost all of my games at Best Buy. The Gamer's Club makes them so much cheaper than everyone else. I picked up God of War today for $47.99, used the $10 bonus I got from Far Cry 5 (also purchased for $47.99), to bring it down to $37.99 - on launch day.

Best Buy is basically the rule for new games, unless I see a game that I want on a great sale on the XB or PS store (1-2 per year). Then there's an occasional used purchase from Gamestop (2-3 per year) or Ebay (2-3 per year).

The only exception that I've made to my Best Buy rule (since I joined Gamer's Club a couple years ago) is a digital purchase of Destiny 2 on the XB store. I knew I'd come back to it for DLC over the course of a few years, and the convenience of 3 years of not needing to load the disk into the console seemed to be worth the extra $12.

Edit to add:  I also favor physical disks so that I can sell them afterwards.  I sell probably 80% of my games after I finish them.  I managed to keep my net gaming spend to under $100 a year for a few years this way.  I'm above that number now, as I buy more games near launch.  Still, gaming is a cheap hobby for me.  

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Haven't purchased a retail game since the day the Switch launched. 100% of my physical XBO games were repurchased as digital and all of my PS4 games except Uncharted 4 and Gravity Rush Remastered were also repurchased as digital.

So you paid for games twice, even though the second time you gained nothing but the ability to play the game without inserting a disk?

Pretty much all retail, only digital games are either virtual console on 3DS or games of the month on PSN.

Kirin_gaming said:
Cobretti2 said:
retail. i like to keep people employed and of the street.

The developers benefit the most from digital though.Wouldn't you prefer to keep the developers out the streets; instead of people that had nothing to do with the game?

Do the developer live in my country and can rob my joint being unemployed? 

Local economy comes first.

Let's be honest the publisher probably take the extra cash not the developer too.

Im more of a retail person but im underage and cant buy physical games if im not old enough so i digitally buy them

Around the Network

Hm, mostly retail on PS4. On Xbox all digital.

On PC, where I do most of my gaming, I buy everything digital, and have been for some years. On PS4 and Xbox, download speeds are such utter shit and digital prices are enraging, so I own most game physical. On Switch, there's not really much of an option with the tiny internal storage it provides, it's not a console for digital game lovers at all.

RETAAAAAIIILLLLLL!!!
- I have shit download speed (when it comes to downloading 1gb+ games)
- Cant be bothered spending more for extra storage
- I love having going to the shops and seeing the game box on my shelves

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Personally, it depends on the deal. My PS4 collection is about half and half, however, my PS3 collection is mostly digital. Out of AAA PS3 games, 68 of them are digital, and some are duplicates of physical games I already own.

If it's not worth the trouble to get the cheaper physical copy, i will go for the digital version, and if I really feel like i need to, get the physical version after a price drop.

I only buy multi-plats on PC, because my PC outperforms my consoles, greatly. But, I do cross over and pick them up later during the flash sales, for 5 bucks. Mirror's Edge Catalyst felt like a cross buy when I'd bought the PS4 version for 5 dollars a while ago, after pre-ordering the PC version, and it not holding my attention. I still haven't played it and I want to like the game.

Though, this is something I'll be doing less and less of. When I got around to curiously seeing what overwatch was like on console, not only was I disappointed, I realized I needed PS+ to play the inferior version of the game.

VAMatt said:
d21lewis said:
Haven't purchased a retail game since the day the Switch launched. 100% of my physical XBO games were repurchased as digital and all of my PS4 games except Uncharted 4 and Gravity Rush Remastered were also repurchased as digital.

So you paid for games twice, even though the second time you gained nothing but the ability to play the game without inserting a disk?

Pretty much.

I have multiple consoles in different rooms of my home with a ton of games downloaded on each of them. I can (for example) start playing Gears of War 4 in my game room. Wake up in the middle of the night in my bed and continue right where I left off. I can even play two player games on two different consoles with at the same time with only one purchase.

It's pretty cool. Plus the ones I've purchased a second time (ie: Quantum Break, Gears Ultimate Edition,  Tomb Raider, SunsettOverdrive, Batman Arkham Knight, Until Dawn, etc) ranged from totally free to maybe less than $20.