By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

How do you tend to purchase games nowadays?

All retail 251 20.06%

Mostly retail 426 34.05%

About half and half 218 17.43%

Mostly digital 202 16.15%

All digital 130 10.39%

I don't buy games 17 1.36%

Other 7 0.56%

Total:1,251

Off course, retail.

Still can't understand why people buy at the same price digital: you don't own anything, you can't resell the game, excahnge it, or find it preowned ad lower price. Digital on console make sense only on titles discounted 75% off.
And not only, here in Europe, prices on physical are way cheaper than digital, I can found lot of titles to 39,99 or 29,99 that on the store costs 69,99 euros or 49 or 59, and then I still can resell them to purchase other titles.

Really guys, how can people but digital at the same price of the physical? It doesn't make any sense.

Around the Network

I said half and half in the poll, but really I'm mostly retail. A lot of my digital purchases are digital only. So, when given a choice between the two, I normally go for the physical version.

Haven't purchased a retail game since the day the Switch launched. 100% of my physical XBO games were repurchased as digital and all of my PS4 games except Uncharted 4 and Gravity Rush Remastered were also repurchased as digital.

I'm a proponent of getting physical copies of video games but the reality is that I'm starting to get more often than not, better deals with digital games. Up to a couple years ago, Amazon had the best deals I could find anywhere, last year I still would almost not consider getting digital games (exception made of games only available by download of course) but now it seems that Amazon does not have the best deals anymore. Oh they still have much better prices than what you find in street stores, cause these have been dead to me for a long time now.
But digital games now have better prices than even what Amazon offers so I try to cling to physical as much as possible and in case of the same price on both sides, I'll go physical but it's happening less and less and digital seems to be the only viable way for me now.

As an example: Rise of the Tomb Raider sells right now on the PSN for 16 euros, on Amazon the best price so far is 23 euros and I must still add mailing cost to it. And that's the best price so far cause tomorrow it could be 30 euros on Amazon, suddenly and without any explanation. Amazon used to have the best prices but they don't seem keen to beat the competition anymore for some reason so I won't force my money down Amazon's throat if they don't want it.

Mostly retail. I love the feeling to have the physical box art in my hands. But sometimes if there are very good discounts in the Playstation Store I buy some games as digital too.

Around the Network

my main convention is "Buy physical only if it is cheaper or not available digitally"

the main series pokemon games are the only exception, I will always buy them physically

Joe Schiaffi said:

Off course, retail.

Still can't understand why people buy at the same price digital: you don't own anything, you can't resell the game, excahnge it, or find it preowned ad lower price. Digital on console make sense only on titles discounted 75% off.
And not only, here in Europe, prices on physical are way cheaper than digital, I can found lot of titles to 39,99 or 29,99 that on the store costs 69,99 euros or 49 or 59, and then I still can resell them to purchase other titles.

Really guys, how can people but digital at the same price of the physical? It doesn't make any sense.

Rise of the Tomb Raider costs 16 euros on the PSN, so why should I pay 29,99 or 39,99 in a store?

If a game is the same price on both digital and physical copies I'm going with physical of course but this happens less and less frequently. Digital sales offer better prices than physical sales.

And true that you don't own a digital game but these days you don't really own a physical game either. Most physical games are now incomplete and you must download day one patches to make them work properly.

mostly only buy digital on xbox one, physical on ps4. I feel i will be able to go back on my old purchases down the road more with MS than Sony at this point. I am also an elite gamestop member and get decent discounts on used games which is a big portion as well for physical purchases.

plus for digital, 99% of the time, i wait for a gold discount or sale, its so rare I buy full price digital, only Halo and Gears games I do that with.

CrazyGamer2017 said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider costs 16 euros on the PSN, so why should I pay 29,99 or 39,99 in a store?

If a game is the same price on both digital and physical copies I'm going with physical of course but this happens less and less frequently. Digital sales offer better prices than physical sales.

And true that you don't own a digital game but these days you don't really own a physical game either. Most physical games are now incomplete and you must download day one patches to make them work properly.

Pay attention man: Rise of the Tomb Raider IT'S NOT cheaper on the PSN than retail, it's AT THE MOMENT cheaper on the PSN than on retail, but the standard price is 59,99  € (if you see, it's the crossed price  written) on the PS STORE, while in shops you can ALWAYS at any moment, find it at 29,99 euros, and the special edition with artbook and some download codes.

It's important because you have to consider the standard retail price and not a standard price with a momentary special prices that will last some days. 

And all this without considering the used market: for example I could Purchase Ni No Kuni II PS4 at my local store for just 39,99 € or, yesterday, I bought Yakuza 6 preowned at 39,99 € (essential art edition). And I can still resell them if I want (but are great games so I will keep them). So, really, digital has sense only with 75% discount off (like Rise of the Tomb Raider that you mentioned) :)

Last edited by Joe Schiaffi - on 20 April 2018

Rob5VGC said:
Retail til the day I die.

You don't download any indie games, subscribe to any online service like Xbox live, Playstation Plus, Gamepass or PS Now. Have you bought any DLC or expensions?

Any downloaded games you get from these services is considered Digital purchases.