By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Does anyone still watch cable tv?

SvennoJ said:
Marach said:
Yeah, i still watch cable TV. First because i'm in canada. The streaming offert is limited compred to the USA, things like netflix have way less choice here.

Second, i'm not only canadian, but french canadian. the Netflix offer is crappy in canada, but it's even crappier if you look for a french dub, and most of the time it will be a dub made in France, which make me hear bleed. Anyway half of what i watch is produced locally, so it's hard to find on internet.

And finally, unlimited bandwith is very costly in canada, so i have a 200gb data limit on my internet.

Are you getting screwed by Bell or Rogers? :)

Most of the stuff we watch on TV are American shows, which aren't available for streaming from Canada, blocked. There are ways around that, yet with bandwidth cap, why go through the trouble. It's easy having everything in one place and my wife always has 100 to 150 programs recorded on the dvr, can never catch up!

Live tv is for sleeping, night light.

Videotron, i'm in Quebec. the price is decent, i pay around 145$ for 30 mbps internet with 200gb cap, land line for my phone, 20 tv station that i pick myslef plus the base service, 2 DVR, club illico which is their version of netflix i guess and a super ecran which is a movie network. I just have to call them every 2 years to threaten them of leaving for bell to keep that price !

Around the Network
Marach said:
SvennoJ said:

Are you getting screwed by Bell or Rogers? :)

Most of the stuff we watch on TV are American shows, which aren't available for streaming from Canada, blocked. There are ways around that, yet with bandwidth cap, why go through the trouble. It's easy having everything in one place and my wife always has 100 to 150 programs recorded on the dvr, can never catch up!

Live tv is for sleeping, night light.

Videotron, i'm in Quebec. the price is decent, i pay around 145$ for 30 mbps internet with 200gb cap, land line for my phone, 20 tv station that i pick myslef plus the base service, 2 DVR, club illico which is their version of netflix i guess and a super ecran which is a movie network. I just have to call them every 2 years to threaten them of leaving for bell to keep that price !

Same here, I have to call Rogers again soon to threaten to leave as their promotional price will soon be running out and then it's going $40 up a month... No way. It's about the same here, except their remote DVR for the bedroom is agonizingly slow. It takes 30 seconds to bring up the menu, 2018....

I watch sometimes.

I literally turn on my TV just to watch football ( or soccer for Yanks).

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

MasterThief said:
VAMatt said:
I watch MLB and NBA games, in addition to a little bit of History Channel, Science Channel, and CNBC. Hopefully, I'll have better access to live sports via streaming in a few years, so I can finally cut the cord.

am on PS vue. good DVR. cheaper than cable and can watch online.

not bad overall. some issues. but better than cable, tho they don't have the best channels at low prices. I have the mid range. 

Sling scammed me. I canceled sub after 3 days because app is broken. they resubbed me without my knowledge. and charged me for 5 months, no refund policy is fun

there is also directv and what not but I don't wanna support these garbage companies.

The problem ith PS Vue, Sling, and the rest of the streaming services is that I can't get Nationals games.  There is no legal way to stream Nats games in the Washington, DC area, period.  Excepting the dozen or so nationally televised games they play each year.  

I also care about Wizards games, though I've been told there is some kind of way to stream them.  I don't know what that way is, but apparently it exists.  

Around the Network

Live Sports are the only thing I watch on TV anymore.

I watch all my movies and series online.

Most of my friends buying apartments don't even buy a TV anymore.

What’s cable?

Not really since 2008-2009 or so.

Nope, just netflix and youtube.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
TheLegendaryWolf said:
I still watch TV the "old" fashion way, though I don't watch TV nearly as much as I used to thanks to Youtube and Crunchyroll so there's that.

Crunchyroll is a pain in my ass, It has interesting content but literally every goddamn 5 minutes you got the anime interrupted by commercials and announcements, most of the time it's just announcements for another anime so there is no need to interrupt so often, other than to try to push me to pay for a subscription. But I don't do well with such schemes so I don't watch Crunchyroll anymore.

It's not much different than live TV commercials which I'm still used to, though they did have horribly timed ads all the time as recently as last year.