By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Does anyone still watch cable tv?

MasterThief said:

I sure as hell don't. its been crap for almost a decade. 

My last subscription to cable was about 15 years ago. Back then they were pushing digital TV which is fine but they were downgrading the analog signal on purpose so that I couldn't get a proper tuning of my channels and they all had this "snowy" appearance analog TV had when you did not tune in properly, except this was cable so there was no good reason for the downgraded image. It was an obvious plot to push people to switch to digital TV, way WAY more expensive...

But I am not one to be pushed around so one day in the early years of the 21st century I simply cancelled my cable subscription. Back then it was a bold move cause I had the internet but there was nowhere near the content one can see now (Netflix, Youtube etc...) But with DVD's and books and occasionally going to the cinema I managed to keep myself entertained. After that with every passing year and new content coming to the internet, cable was less and less something I'd ever want again. I ended up never getting on cable again and I obviously never will in the future.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Old people, mostly, many of whom are scared to death of the internet.

Oh boy don't even get me started on my old mother... Even a computer without the internet is scary to her.

On the other hand, at least I don't have to worry about her calling me to tell me that someone stole money on her credit card online...

When I move out and get a place (which is hopefully soon) I'm not even buying cable. Just going to rely on streaming/internet for my TV since I already am more and more. Maybe I'll get an MLB or NBA package to handle my sports fix and call it a day.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

I almost never watch TV. And when I do, it's cable (or digital television as we call it here).
Why? Because Netflix doesn't have the news or the public broadcasting specials which are amazing in Belgium.

No, i has internetz.

Hunting Season is done...

Around the Network
WolfpackN64 said:
I almost never watch TV. And when I do, it's cable (or digital television as we call it here).
Why? Because Netflix doesn't have the news or the public broadcasting specials which are amazing in Belgium.

You do realize there is much more stuff on the internet than just Netflix right?

There is in fact so much news formats on the internet that cable TV is pointless to me

I still watch some content, football, footballtalkshows, and very random things i just happen to come across.
And that last thing is very important for me, get perspectives i dont normally see with other media, going outside my own information circlejerk basicly

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

MasterThief said:
pleaserecycle said:
Adult Swim, NBA games, and occasional South Park, Simpsons, and Futurama reruns.

god the simpsons used to be so good before like season 19 and those crap

imma take that back. they aren't as bad as spongebob is nowdays but. they are mediocre.

I haven't watched SpongeBob in over ten years, but I've heard it's not the same anymore.  The first three seasons were fantastic.  

I cancelled my cable subscription a few years ago. Don't regret it one bit, Netflix and Internet streaming has all I need.

Signature goes here!

I don't watch TV anymore. The only thing I'd go back to is WWE, other than that, nope.