By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega teases new Shining title at Sega Fes 2018

JRPGfan said:
setsunatenshi said:

I honestly am only interested in a proper shining tactical RPG... this looks like a tales game, which is whatever, but I'll support it if it means sending the message more Shining is always welcome.

Only wished Camelot was still involved though.

Holding out home that the success the Fire Emblem series has seen in the last few years will give Sega the motivation to try a new Shining Force finally

I actually agree with this.
to many RPGs are moveing away from turn based combat, without really doing a good job of makeing it a action game.

Turn-based RPGs and action-based RPGs are basically two different genres with complete different gameplay. While I'm not against good action RPGs, I fear the loss of good turn-based RPGs. As I like both and actually turn-based more. Mobile has made it worse. Many stuff there is action-based combat and although turn-based combat exists, it usually is extremely shallow on mobile, so that it is not worth playing it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
StokedUp said:

Shining force 3 is the best tactical RPG ever made FACT, and probably the best game ever made. We only ever got to play 1 third of the story due to part 2-3 never being professionally localised. Gamingwise, there’s no other game I’d like to play more than a remake of this game.

there's fan translations if you want to try Scenario II + III.... if your okay with those.

http://www.zam.com/article/1533/this-shining-force-iii-translation-has-been-going-on-for-12-years

*its playable (II & III)... even if only up to Scenario II, has been super polished.
However you could play through both from what I understand.

Mnementh said:
JRPGfan said:

I actually agree with this.
to many RPGs are moveing away from turn based combat, without really doing a good job of makeing it a action game.

Turn-based RPGs and action-based RPGs are basically two different genres with complete different gameplay. While I'm not against good action RPGs, I fear the loss of good turn-based RPGs. As I like both and actually turn-based more. Mobile has made it worse. Many stuff there is action-based combat and although turn-based combat exists, it usually is extremely shallow on mobile, so that it is not worth playing it.

Final Fantasy XV and now also Final Fantasy VII Remake.... hurt abit.
And now 3DS version of DQ11 isnt getting localised, and the PS4/PC version is comeing out in september up against the likes of Spiderman, and other big titles.

feelsbadman.

I hope alot of people choose to support DQ11 anyways.... it needs it, we need good turn-based rpgs, and unless they sell we wont get them in the future.

Well, there's always Persona at least. But Tactics RPGs seem to be even more the black sheep than turn-based. Other than indie titles and Utawarerumono's two sequels, I can't think of any big tactics RPGs released in the past while. And my childhood was spent devouring Tactics Ogre and FFT, so I absolutely love the whole army management, class changing, skill learning, and all that min/maxing fun that is tactics RPGs.

Megiddo said:
Well, there's always Persona at least. But Tactics RPGs seem to be even more the black sheep than turn-based. Other than indie titles and Utawarerumono's two sequels, I can't think of any big tactics RPGs released in the past while. And my childhood was spent devouring Tactics Ogre and FFT, so I absolutely love the whole army management, class changing, skill learning, and all that min/maxing fun that is tactics RPGs.

disgaea/Fire emblem is still around.... but your right, less Tactic-RPGs and Turnbased RPGs in general.
Yes min/maxing and army management is fun.

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 06 April 2018

Around the Network

Fire Emblem has random level-ups though. I don't like its extremely simplified combat either. It's just not anywhere near as robust as TO and FFT were. Then again, Utawarerumono had like, zero customization of character abilities/items so it wasn't even a good example either. There's just been a void. They screwed up the FFT formula with Advance and then after it died they never went back to good ol' FFT and Tactics Ogre.

Megiddo said:
Fire Emblem has random level-ups though. I don't like its extremely simplified combat either. It's just not anywhere near as robust as TO and FFT were. Then again, Utawarerumono had like, zero customization of character abilities/items so it wasn't even a good example either. There's just been a void. They screwed up the FFT formula with Advance and then after it died they never went back to good ol' FFT and Tactics Ogre.

PSP was great for Tactical/SRPG.

Jeanne d'Arc
Disgaea 1+2 (best versions of these)
Final Fantasy Tactics - The War of the Lions
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Summon Night 5
Legends of War Patton's Campaign
Phantom Brave: The Hermuda Triangle
Valkyria Chronicles II
Metal Gear Acid 2
Gungnir
Wild Arms XF
Ragnarok Tactics
Lord of the Rings Tactics
ect
ect
ect

So many Tactical games....  today? yeah feels like we have less of them.

Megiddo said:

They kind of did. They remastered the originals on the PSP.

But, it didn't go anywhere besides that.

Shining Force is alot like Fire emblem though. Except you could explore towns and the story was better compared to "modern" FE, wich is just generic anime stuff. With that said, so is the current shining series.

I played the demo of this Shining game they remastered and it was beyond boring. Lets not fool ourselves, just cause they were smart enough to bring back classic Sonic is real 2D and made Valkyria 4 a strategy game, doesn't mean they have smarted up.

I also don't see them having humility to aproach Camelot SP. Let's be real, if anything gets announced it's another bad animu Shining.

Last edited by Nem - on 06 April 2018

outlawauron said:
Xxain said:

No.  After a fallout with SEGA they aligned themselves with Nintendo which has lasted to this day. They are the creators of SONY's Hotshot Golf series well.

Clap Hanz makes Hot Shots. Camelot hasn't touched Hot Shots since the PS1 days.

I said creators ... not developers *wink*