By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the low Metacritic Effect Far Cry 5 sales?

Shadow1980 said:

Still relevant:

Dont blame gamers, blame reviewers. Back in the early 00's (late 90s) my unofficial cuttoff (for lack of MC) was about 80 based on eyeballing scores from various magazines. Back then reviewers were a lot tougher on games. Nowadays reviewers give high scores like candy and so my cutoff has been moved to 85.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Shiken said:

81 is a low score...

BS opinions like this is why metacritic is worthless. One site will say a game has to be an 8 out 10 to just be "okay" while another will try to say 5/10 is average (probably to justify clickbait). Then all of these scores are pooled together for a distorted report on the actual quality of the game. Not to mention how gamers think anything under a 9 is utter crap these days (or make the claim at least).

If you ask me, scores are obsolete. Just give me a detailed review listing the pros and cons and if you recommend the game or not. That is all we need.

OT:

81 is a good score and the game will sell very well with no negative impact from said good score.

Look if you want you can read the full text reviews, nobody is stopping you. However don't take the scores away from us that care. I look at the MC, if its under 85 I close the game, if it's over I might read a couple of review snippets in the list and make a decision. No way am I going to read a full meandering review though. I don't need to read 2000 words when I can look at the score in a second. You can make everything long and convoluted - including explaining math equations via thousands of words when a simple formula is enough.

When the score system is broken, accurate review scores have already been taken away from you.  If you want to follow them blindly, be my guest.  You are the only one that stands to lose anything in the end.

A list of pros and cons at the end of the review would be far more effective and suit the needs of people who do not want to read a full review.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

contestgamer said:
Xen said:

Don't compare it to the OP. This actually makes sense.

I am the OP...

Indeed you are. That's why I told you that that comparison is not so good

It's sad that 81 is seen as a low Meta score, sadder that people would put that much stock into a Meta score. The only people who are genuinely hurt by numerical score are ridiculous fanboys. Just enjoy your game. If it bothers you that much, rent it first. There's not much about the game that doesn't sound like it's not worth diving in.

Shadow1980 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Not really. Just go to 2001 and look at all of the highly rated games for that year.

I did. 8/10 scores were considered good. Now a lot of people consider that mediocre.

So, you're focusing more on the perception rather than the scores themselves?

Around the Network

Having played the games for a bit today I'd say it's as good as any of the previous games easily it's probably just franchise fatigue but the game is still good the intro despite being a bit long winded is probably the best intro they've had so far.

I think if you're really busy, like, you have 1h gaming hour tops everyday, and thats including weekends, then and only then focusing exclusively in the really great games may be somewhat justifiable.
If not, then OP, you've missed some great experiences because of your extremely flawed deciding factor.

81 is considered a low score to people?

VGPolyglot said:
Shadow1980 said:

I did. 8/10 scores were considered good. Now a lot of people consider that mediocre.

So, you're focusing more on the perception rather than the scores themselves?

Well, the image was clearly satire, but it has an edge of truth. There's the ideal of a 10-point scale with average in the middle, and then there's some people who perceive it as otherwise, believing "average" to occupy a point on the scale closer to the 10/10 mark than it is to the middle. Whether it's IGN or Gamespot or Jim Sterling (thank God for him), we typically see reviewers use the entire 10-point scale, or at least they do in principle if not in practice. A 5 or 6 out of 10 is usually considered "mediocre" to "average" on most professional reviewer score scales, while an 8/10 is supposed to be pretty damn good, though with some flaws.

But in the internet age and with the rise of review aggregators like Metacritic, as well as hyperbole-prone echo chambers and obsessive fandoms that have in the past gone apoplectic over games getting not-perfect scores (remember the "Eight Point Eight" controversy surrounding Twilight Princess?), there are some people that think review averages should be treated like school grades, with a failing grade representing 65-70% of the scale. Many gamers are very unforgiving, and apparently think any game that doesn't score high enough on Metacritic to be GOTY contender is mediocre at best. There's a disconnect between what review scores are and what many gamers think they ought to be. And it's quite frankly ridiculous, because we get people saying they cancelled their preorder of "Highly Anticipated Video Game" because it got a Metacritic average below 90.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

Wow only 80? that's literally unplayable. It will surely sell like shit