By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the low Metacritic Effect Far Cry 5 sales?

OP, you do realize most Metacritic reviews are from marketing sites, right?

Here’s a part of the industry you should read - oh, and they’re still a source for Metacritic.

https://kotaku.com/5893785/yes-a-games-writer-was-fired-over-review-scores

Around the Network
Medisti said:
contestgamer said:

uh, yeah 95% of games are garbage, they're called shovelware... 80 isn't garbage, but it's really mediocre and not worth wasting a lot of time on.

Do you have similarly impossible expectations for hotels and restaurants, too? If four stars is mediocre...

For restaurants I always check Yelp and don't go to any under 4 stars with min 100 reviews. The few times I've broken this rule in the past (due to being too hungry) I always regretted it. For hotel I compare a bunhc of average review scores (booking, expedia etc) and don't go if under 85%.

Shadow1980 said:

Still relevant:

Not really. Just go to 2001 and look at all of the highly rated games for that year.

contestgamer said:
Medisti said:

Do you have similarly impossible expectations for hotels and restaurants, too? If four stars is mediocre...

For restaurants I always check Yelp and don't go to any under 4 stars with min 100 reviews. The few times I've broken this rule in the past (due to being too hungry) I always regretted it. For hotel I compare a bunhc of average review scores (booking, expedia etc) and don't go if under 85%.

Don't compare it to the OP. This actually makes sense.

Shiken said:

81 is a low score...

BS opinions like this is why metacritic is worthless. One site will say a game has to be an 8 out 10 to just be "okay" while another will try to say 5/10 is average (probably to justify clickbait). Then all of these scores are pooled together for a distorted report on the actual quality of the game. Not to mention how gamers think anything under a 9 is utter crap these days (or make the claim at least).

If you ask me, scores are obsolete. Just give me a detailed review listing the pros and cons and if you recommend the game or not. That is all we need.

OT:

81 is a good score and the game will sell very well with no negative impact from said good score.

Look if you want you can read the full text reviews, nobody is stopping you. However don't take the scores away from us that care. I look at the MC, if its under 85 I close the game, if it's over I might read a couple of review snippets in the list and make a decision. No way am I going to read a full meandering review though. I don't need to read 2000 words when I can look at the score in a second. You can make everything long and convoluted - including explaining math equations via thousands of words when a simple formula is enough.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
Medisti said:

Well, restaurants are different, you can get food poisoning and die from them whereas for games they don't carry the same risks. Same with hotels and sanitation.

Xen said:
contestgamer said:

I am the OP...

Shadow1980 said:

Still relevant:

Dont blame gamers, blame reviewers. Back in the early 00's (late 90s) my unofficial cuttoff (for lack of MC) was about 80 based on eyeballing scores from various magazines. Back then reviewers were a lot tougher on games. Nowadays reviewers give high scores like candy and so my cutoff has been moved to 85.

contestgamer said:
Shiken said:

81 is a low score...

BS opinions like this is why metacritic is worthless. One site will say a game has to be an 8 out 10 to just be "okay" while another will try to say 5/10 is average (probably to justify clickbait). Then all of these scores are pooled together for a distorted report on the actual quality of the game. Not to mention how gamers think anything under a 9 is utter crap these days (or make the claim at least).

If you ask me, scores are obsolete. Just give me a detailed review listing the pros and cons and if you recommend the game or not. That is all we need.

OT:

81 is a good score and the game will sell very well with no negative impact from said good score.

Look if you want you can read the full text reviews, nobody is stopping you. However don't take the scores away from us that care. I look at the MC, if its under 85 I close the game, if it's over I might read a couple of review snippets in the list and make a decision. No way am I going to read a full meandering review though. I don't need to read 2000 words when I can look at the score in a second. You can make everything long and convoluted - including explaining math equations via thousands of words when a simple formula is enough.

When the score system is broken, accurate review scores have already been taken away from you.  If you want to follow them blindly, be my guest.  You are the only one that stands to lose anything in the end.

A list of pros and cons at the end of the review would be far more effective and suit the needs of people who do not want to read a full review.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

contestgamer said:
Xen said:

I am the OP...

Indeed you are. That's why I told you that that comparison is not so good