By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the low Metacritic Effect Far Cry 5 sales?

81 is a low score...

BS opinions like this is why metacritic is worthless. One site will say a game has to be an 8 out 10 to just be "okay" while another will try to say 5/10 is average (probably to justify clickbait). Then all of these scores are pooled together for a distorted report on the actual quality of the game. Not to mention how gamers think anything under a 9 is utter crap these days (or make the claim at least).

If you ask me, scores are obsolete. Just give me a detailed review listing the pros and cons and if you recommend the game or not. That is all we need.

OT:

81 is a good score and the game will sell very well with no negative impact from said good score.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Around the Network

"How will the low Metascore affect Far Cry 5 sales? So reviews are in and the Metascore for FC5 is 81 atm"

B O I

Since when is a low 80s/high 70s score "low"? That's higher than most games.

That said, no VR, no buy for me. Wasted opportunity by Ubisoft in not making this with VR support.

KManX89 said:

That said, no VR, no buy for me. Wasted opportunity by Ubisoft in not making this with VR support.

You only buy games with VR support?

I was on the fence, but decided to go ahead with it once I saw it scoring over 80. So, I'd say its a solid score that, at least in my case, is helping sales.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
If 85 is your cutoff, you have missed a lot of great games. I keep my cutoff at 75, usually.

This is still higher than far cry primal, and that sold well, so no, it won't affect sales.

I agree. I consider 85 to be the point at which I have to give extra consideration to a game that I wasn't planning to play.  I consider 75 the point at which I have to reconsider whether or not I really want to play something that I was planning to pick up.  That 75 to 85 window is what I consider solid, and probably won't affect whatever opinion I have otherwise formed of the game.  

For example, I decided to pass on Sea of Thieves last week, based on the ~70 meta score.  I was planning to play Far Cry 5, and the 81 score has not killed my excitement, nor added to it (I'll be picking it up later today).  I never cared about GTA games, but the high score convinced me to play it.  

VGPolyglot said:
KManX89 said:

You only buy games with VR support?

No, but it's an absolute waste of an opportunity by not making this game with VR support. 

It sounds like the go-to game for VR support. 

Shadow1980 said:

Still relevant:

Basically, anything below a 9 is average.

The fact that this shit is actually taken seriously (this thread being a prime example of that) is truly baffling. 

Last edited by KManX89 - on 27 March 2018

CGI-Quality said:
contestgamer said:

uh, yeah 95% of games are garbage, they're called shovelware... 80 isn't garbage, but it's really mediocre and not worth wasting a lot of time on.

Under no reasonable circumstance is 80 ever called mediocre. You’re entitled to your opinion, so I’m curious, what makes 95% of games shovel ware?

There's only one thing that needs to be said to anyone who honestly thinks an 80 is "mediocre" which OP sadly does:

If an 80 is mediocre, then you're missing out on a TON of great games.

Shadow1980 said:

Still relevant:

Perfect.