By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the low Metacritic Effect Far Cry 5 sales?

contestgamer said:

So reviews are in and the MC for FC5 is 81 atm, and will probably fall to 79-80 once all the reviews are in. I canceled my pre-order for the game, although I was looking forward to it and it got me thinking - how many other potential sales do you think were lost over the low MC score? (lifetime, not just launch pre orders)

If I had to guess at least 1-1.5M compared to an MC of 85 (my cutoff score for playing games) If there have been any "studies" on something like this please link as I'd be interested.

You really should a bit more research before posting. amazing reviews are only really needed for niche games that only appeal to the hardcore market. games like far cry have a huge market, just look at wild lands it has a 70 metracritic and has amazing sales. 81 is pretty damn good, and it probably won't drop below 80. ign review is looking good, and is the most important since metracritic is weighted. 

Around the Network

I wanted to respond but I think my brain is too hurt from reading this to do so.

TheBird said:
1) Metacritic score means literally nothing, most of the critics on that website are SJW's who get offended by anything. Especially by Farcry 5 and its setting.

2) Why would you ever pre-order a Ubisoft title?

3) This game is still going to sell like a beast even if it's gameplay is more mediocre than Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Most of the reviews i've seen bashing the game spent one or two paragraphs talking about gameplay, and the rest were pretty much criticising it's political message and how it was handled. I'm not a big fan of Far Cry after 4 bored me out of my brain, but i've seen a lot of people having fun with, so i doubt it's a bad game. For those not tired of Ubisoft open-world tropes at least.

Still, 81 is not a bad score at all so in the end the good reviews are still outweighing the offended SJW.

Hirouakan said:
TheBird said:
1) Metacritic score means literally nothing, most of the critics on that website are SJW's who get offended by anything. Especially by Farcry 5 and its setting.

2) Why would you ever pre-order a Ubisoft title?

3) This game is still going to sell like a beast even if it's gameplay is more mediocre than Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Most of the reviews i've seen bashing the game spent one or two paragraphs talking about gameplay, and the rest were pretty much criticising it's political message and how it was handled. I'm not a big fan of Far Cry after 4 bored me out of my brain, but i've seen a lot of people having fun with, so i doubt it's a bad game. For those not tired of Ubisoft open-world tropes at least.

Still, 81 is not a bad score at all so in the end the good reviews are still outweighing the offended SJW.

I'm mostly glad these games will do good anyways despite the SJW trash of human beings trying to hate it, shows how insignificant their voices are in the public ear. They may call the most of us racist for buying Kingdom Come and Farcry 5, but really it's just that people want to enjoy games uncensored and without politics around every corner.

I won't get Farcry 5 because I was burnt out by Wildlands, and this is just a first person Ghost Recon Wildlands with Farcry 5 slapped on the box. But it truly isn't a bad game, just not a worthy upgrade from Wildlands in my eyes. I just hope everyone else who buys will either enjoy it or hates it for the gameplay and not the politics. Make the trash SJW's feel insignificant in their little world of make belief.

If 85 is your cutoff, you have missed a lot of great games. I keep my cutoff at 75, usually.

This is still higher than far cry primal, and that sold well, so no, it won't affect sales.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
If 85 is your cutoff, you have missed a lot of great games. I keep my cutoff at 75, usually.

This is still higher than far cry primal, and that sold well, so no, it won't affect sales.

So you mean that even if you're interested in a game and heard good things about it that usually appeal to your general taste, you'll still not give it a chance if it scored lower than 75?

Just asking, as i myself had plenty of fun with games scoring between 60~75.

A metacritic shouldn't influence what games you buy unless the game has scored really low like under 50. 81 is pretty good score anyway.

This op is cringeworthy,8.1 a lowscore wtf!

My youtube gaming page.

http://www.youtube.com/user/klaudkil

Medisti said:
Huh. I didn't know 4/5 was considered low. 95% of games must be garbage

uh, yeah 95% of games are garbage, they're called shovelware... 80 isn't garbage, but it's really mediocre and not worth wasting a lot of time on.

quickrick said:
contestgamer said:

So reviews are in and the MC for FC5 is 81 atm, and will probably fall to 79-80 once all the reviews are in. I canceled my pre-order for the game, although I was looking forward to it and it got me thinking - how many other potential sales do you think were lost over the low MC score? (lifetime, not just launch pre orders)

If I had to guess at least 1-1.5M compared to an MC of 85 (my cutoff score for playing games) If there have been any "studies" on something like this please link as I'd be interested.

You really should a bit more research before posting. amazing reviews are only really needed for niche games that only appeal to the hardcore market. games like far cry have a huge market, just look at wild lands it has a 70 metracritic and has amazing sales. 81 is pretty damn good, and it probably won't drop below 80. ign review is looking good, and is the most important since metracritic is weighted. 

Wild lands with MC of 90 would have sold way more. MC scores will always infuence sales as they should.