By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How will the low Metacritic Effect Far Cry 5 sales?

VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

Its the same thing, I'm using an average score (data) to make a purchase determination. For hotels 85, for food 4-4.5 and for games 85. It's the exact same system, just using a different site for market specific review averages.

As I said though, games are different than those as unsanitary food and hotels can get you sick, but video games don't have those issues.

They can waste dozens of hours of my life. There's already like half a dozen actual good games out every year that I need to play, plus Rocket League, which all adds up to probably 500-1000 hours a year, so avoiding time wasting games (and movies) is pretty important.

Around the Network
contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

As I said though, games are different than those as unsanitary food and hotels can get you sick, but video games don't have those issues.

They can waste dozens of hours of my life. There's already like half a dozen actual good games out every year that I need to play, plus Rocket League, which all adds up to probably 500-1000 hours a year, so avoiding time wasting games (and movies) is pretty important.

So, Rocket League on PS4 is 85, if it was 1 score lower (84) you're telling me that you'd avoid it?

TheBlackNaruto said:
contestgamer said:

Dont blame gamers, blame reviewers. Back in the early 00's (late 90s) my unofficial cuttoff (for lack of MC) was about 80 based on eyeballing scores from various magazines. Back then reviewers were a lot tougher on games. Nowadays reviewers give high scores like candy and so my cutoff has been moved to 85.

So you never played games like Legend of Dragoon, Bloody Roar, Shinobi, Dino Crisis, Jade Cocoon, Rival Schools, Legend of Legaia, Parasite Eve 2, Tomb raider 3, Lunar Silvar Star story complete, Tenchu 2, Fable 3, Unreal Championship, Devil May Cry 2 or 3, Baten Kaitos, Knockout Kings 2001, Valkyrie Profile, Need for speed Underground, Motorstorm, Darksiders 1 & 2, Shenmue 2,  InFamous 2 or inFamous Second son, Tekken 6, TTT2, Midnight Club 3, Baldurs Gate: Dark Alliance, Just Cause, Mirrors Edge, Saints Row Resident Evil Code Veronica, Lost Odyssey, Xenosaga series, Crackdown, Alan Wake, Def Jam 1 or 2,  Resident Evil 0, Luigis Mansion, Dead to Rights, Super Smash Bros 1 etc.....plus lots more games because they ALL fall below your meta criteria.....really?

Wow that is crazy my friend......you are really missing out on some great games then.

Yeah, I skipped all of that except Baten Kaitos because I got that as a gift (and should have skipped it, my review cutoff would have saved me from that godawful voice acting) 

VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

So, Rocket League on PS4 is 85, if it was 1 score lower (84) you're telling me that you'd avoid it?

Well to be fair I play it on PC and it's 86 there, but regardless, I'd give it a 90+ personally. That said if it was 84 there is a chance I would have passed on it, but if not, I chalk it up to the fact that it's an extremely unique game of the type that there are no better alternatives for me to play. With a game like Far Cry, it's similar to a bunch of other games (including it's own entries) with better scores so I feel like playing a game under 85 in a genre/style that has many comparable, better games is a waste of time. Rocket League is pretty much the only game I can think of in the past 5 years where it's unique enough to not have alternatives, making the 85 metacritic cutoff less useful, because there's nothing better to compare it to.

contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well to be fair I play it on PC and it's 86 there, but regardless, I'd give it a 90+ personally. That said if it was 84 there is a chance I would have passed on it, but if not, I chalk it up to the fact that it's an extremely unique game of the type that there are no better alternatives for me to play. With a game like Far Cry, it's similar to a bunch of other games (including it's own entries) with better scores so I feel like playing a game under 85 in a genre/style that has many comparable, better games is a waste of time. Rocket League is pretty much the only game I can think of in the past 5 years where it's unique enough to not have alternatives, making the 85 metacritic cutoff less useful, because there's nothing better to compare it to.

Well, that destroys your argument right there, you disagree with the Metascore for that game, so that means there are probably other games that are the same for you.

Around the Network

an 80+ is low now. wow. Next year, low 90s will be mediocre.

VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

Well, that destroys your argument right there, you disagree with the Metascore for that game, so that means there are probably other games that are the same for you.

Well if it was rated 81 though it would have been too bad for me to enjoy. Ultimately it met my MC requirement, and allowed me to enjoy it more than expected. 

contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well if it was rated 81 though it would have been too bad for me to enjoy. Ultimately it met my MC requirement, and allowed me to enjoy it more than expected. 

So, it's not the actual game itself that you base enjoyment on then, it's the score that makes you feel that you should be or shouldn't be enjoying a game.

Used to hate devs paying for good reviews but with people like this who can blame them.

VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

So, it's not the actual game itself that you base enjoyment on then, it's the score that makes you feel that you should be or shouldn't be enjoying a game.

Well could you ever enjoy a game rated 65-70?