By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Survive charging $10 for additional character saves

Konami you can lick my salty....briefcase.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Bristow9091 said:

Technically I am sat in the corner, that's where my computer is :o 

It still seems like a non-issue that people are blowing up solely because it's Konami though, lol. Everyone seems to be taking a dig at them whenever possible ever since they got rid of Kojima, lol.

Agreed. Any other publisher would get away with it but people just hate Konami

It's still a pretty shitty practice in any case (at least for games you have to buy, would be much more acceptable if it were free to play), but it's certainly not a practice that's exclusive to Konami.

Except those other games give you the option of creating a new character free of charge if you want, Metal Gear Survive doesn't.

Let's break it down for those MMOs/"other games" that supposedly do it, shall we?

• WoW gives you up to 16 character slots per server for free.
  • ESO gives you 8 free character slots.
  • FFXIV only charges for additional characters on the same server, you can create as many characters as there are servers without paying extra and you can play all classes on one character.

So no, not the same thing at all.

Even if those "other games" did do precisely what MGS does:

1)Other companies conducting shady business practices doesn't make it okay.
2)Konami is no position to pull shit like this after all their scummy business practices, case in point

And on that note...

Last edited by KManX89 - on 24 February 2018

GribbleGrunger said:
hunter_alien said:

I agree with you, don't get me wrong, but this particular case is nothing new and the only reason it was brought up, is simply bceause people like to hate on Konami. So it gets a bit boring.

People like to hate on Konami? This is paying for save files for goodness sake. Got another example of something lower than this? Do you see what you did there though? You more or less said complaining about companies that do this is 'boring'. ANOTHER reason this is getting worse. 

This is fairly subjective, but for me something like pre-order bonuses pisses me off more than this. Or forced ghost-data implementation, even if it is free.

I know, I do sound hyupocritical, but I am doing it with a clean concious because in the same time I do vote with my wallet and I would never buy into something like this. Normalization like this is happening no matter that you me or Jim Sterling are yelling on forums. The only power we have is the power of our cash. And by constantly pointing out to people what "they are doing wrong" wont make your voice more valuable. This is a psychological fact, nothing more nothing less.

And considering howe much crap we tend to swallow from companies we consider to be good/great, I do not like to single out Konami, especially when they are obviously bowing out from the AAA space with a quick cashgrab and we wont have to put up with them anymore. Lets face it, this is pretty much a deathkneel for the franchise.

So just to summerize this post: I agree with your sentiment but I doubt that being vocal about it on forums will help us out in the longrun.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Shadow1980 said:

Konami was once a name associated with quality. They were already a major third parties in the 80s, publishing NES and arcade games like Frogger, Gradius, Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, Gyruss, and the TMNT games of the era, among others. They were responsible for the "Konami code," the most famous cheat code in history. And their success continued into the 90s, publishing games not only from series established in the 80s, but also new IPs like Ganbare Goemon, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Axelay, Suikoden, Policenauts, Dance Dance Revolution, and Silent Hill.

There was once a time when if you saw this when you started the game:

You were probably in for a treat.

Now Konami is just an embarrassing shell of their former selves, crapping all over their legacy. They've made very few games this generation, mainly MGSV, a couple of PES games, and now this sham of a game. Mostly, they just leverage their IPs for branding for pachinko machines. I really hope some other company that respects the legacy of the Konami brand and its IPs more than Konami now does swoops in and buys them out (hopefully either Nintendo or Sony, or both in a partnership). Konami as they exist now does not deserve to exist, because, as a great man once said, "Konami is Konami, and Konami is the worst. #FucKonami." They brought this much-deserved hate upon themselves. They're a joke now.

Why do gamers always talk as if buying a company, especially a forceful buy, is like pulling up into a McDonald's drive-thru and making an order? As long as a company is money off "their" products they "deserve to exist" (eyeroll). 

Konami has shot themselves in the foot so much lately they no longer have a foot.

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:

Konami was once a name associated with quality. They were already a major third parties in the 80s, publishing NES and arcade games like Frogger, Gradius, Castlevania, Contra, Metal Gear, Gyruss, and the TMNT games of the era, among others. They were responsible for the "Konami code," the most famous cheat code in history. And their success continued into the 90s, publishing games not only from series established in the 80s, but also new IPs like Ganbare Goemon, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, Axelay, Suikoden, Policenauts, Dance Dance Revolution, and Silent Hill.

There was once a time when if you saw this when you started the game:

You were probably in for a treat.

Now Konami is just an embarrassing shell of their former selves, crapping all over their legacy. They've made very few games this generation, mainly MGSV, a couple of PES games, and now this sham of a game. Mostly, they just leverage their IPs for branding for pachinko machines. I really hope some other company that respects the legacy of the Konami brand and its IPs more than Konami now does swoops in and buys them out (hopefully either Nintendo or Sony, or both in a partnership). Konami as they exist now does not deserve to exist, because, as a great man once said, "Konami is Konami, and Konami is the worst. #FucKonami." They brought this much-deserved hate upon themselves. They're a joke now.

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Ljink96 said:
lol, they're just trying to kill the game at this point. Sterling is gonna tear them to shreds, if he's done with DW 9 that is. Wow, paying for a new game save. That's a new one.

The moment they fucked over Kojima, they killed MGS forever. There's nothing more than could have done to eradicate it.

Mar1217 said:
Kerotan said:

I log in everyday for my daily battlefront 2 crate. It's simple 

You're forcing yourself into the economics of these games ,,, and I can't do much about your habits either but I'm sure not much people are going to take your example.

Well i play BF2 everyday but if i took a break I'd still login real quick to collect my free crate. Only takes a minute

AlfredoTurkey said:
Ljink96 said:
lol, they're just trying to kill the game at this point. Sterling is gonna tear them to shreds, if he's done with DW 9 that is. Wow, paying for a new game save. That's a new one.

The moment they fucked over Kojima, they killed MGS forever. There's nothing more than could have done to eradicate it.

It's really sad too. Kojima was what was left of Konami and they killed him off. Igarashi couldn't put up with Konami anymore either. The dudes that made Konami are leaving, and soon they won't be known for videogames anymore. And if they do videogames, it'll be mobile.

Fans: I think they cannot destroy this franchise further more...
Konami: Hold my beer...