By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Survive charging $10 for additional character saves

https://gamerant.com/metal-gear-survive-pay-for-more-saves

I mean, wow, I don't even know what to say, anymore. Just when you think these clowns can't sink any lower, they ALWAYS manage to find another shovel and dig a little bit deeper. They're literally doing everything in their power to ensure this game flops, first requiring always online for single-player and now this? Charging for friggin' slave slots? In other words, if you beat the game and want to start a new playthrough (though I honestly don't see why you would being the generic, bogstandard cookie cutter survival zombie game it is), then you better be ready to shell out an extra $10! Or delete your old save.

What next? Charging for changing controls? Throwing in loot boxes with legislators actively trying to ban them in games (which would actually be illegal if the second wave of Hawaii bills passes, and I hope like hell they BOTH pass)? Just you watch! I could totally see them doing this being the braindamaged zealots they are, after all, it's their main source of income now! This is, after all, the same company that cancelled a once-in-a-lifetime game that was hyped to the moon and would've made them a shit ton of money (Silent Hills).

This'll make for another interesting segment of #FucKonami News on Jim Sterling's channel.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 23 February 2018

Around the Network

lol, they're just trying to kill the game at this point. Sterling is gonna tear them to shreds, if he's done with DW 9 that is. Wow, paying for a new game save. That's a new one.

It makes a lot of sense to me. Think about it. Some games only give you one character slot. Having another one is a luxury. Buying another character slot is like getting another opportunity to play the game all over again through a different experience. It's just like buying a game for the first time, except before devs were gracious enough to include it for free. I dont know, it makes a lot of sense to me.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:
lol, they're just trying to kill the game at this point. Sterling is gonna tear them to shreds, if he's done with DW 9 that is. Wow, paying for a new game save. That's a new one.

Not really, Pokemon has been doing it since the 90s. They charge a lot more than $10 too!

Well, you know what I mean, Within the game itself. Pokemon, really isn't the same as there are minor differences between the games at least. Many other games do this as well like Xenoblade 2, but you can just use different accounts now. Pokemon won't have this issue on Switch so now that you bring that up, I do wonder if that'll affect sales.

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:

Not really, Pokemon has been doing it since the 90s. They charge a lot more than $10 too!

Except, unlike Konami, they have valid reason for only giving you one character save per game: so you can't farm unlimited rare one-time capture Pokemon and trade them to yourself.

Not to mention Pokemon doesn't give you the option to store additional saves in the first place (and for good cause and good reason as I just pointed out), so no, they're not guilty of locking extra save slots behind a paywall. Nice try, though.

Last edited by KManX89 - on 23 February 2018

Around the Network

Was there ever any real interest in this thing though?
It seems the only publicity it's getting is scandals. Hell, its existence itself is a scandal.

Oh dear god konami... how much lower will you stupe for a few extra dollars?

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Keep killing yourself komani. Good work!

They did for their "survival" if you know what I mean.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Ka-pi96 said:
Ljink96 said:

Well, you know what I mean, Within the game itself. Pokemon, really isn't the same as there are minor differences between the games at least. Many other games do this as well like Xenoblade 2, but you can just use different accounts now. Pokemon won't have this issue on Switch so now that you bring that up, I do wonder if that'll affect sales.

I didn't actually mean the two versions thing, rather the fact that if you want to start a new game you have to either pay again or delete your save. In that respect it's the exact same.

KManX89 said:

Except, unlike Konami, they have valid reason for only giving you one character save per game: so you can't farm unlimited rare one-time capture Pokemon and trade them to yourself.

Not to mention Pokemon doesn't give you the option to store additional saves in the first place (and for good cause and good reason as I just pointed out), so no, they're not guilty of locking extra save slots behind a paywall. Nice try, though.

Multiple saves wouldn't allow you to farm Pokemon and trade them to yourself anyway. You'd still need 2 consoles and 2 copies of the game (plus a link cable for the older ones) in order to do that, so no, that isn't a valid reason.

So what you're saying is if MGS only had 1 character slot with no way to get anymore ever, you'd be totally fine with that, but having the option of buying more you're not ok with?

You could still get them all in one game save via farming, you'd just need a friend to do it at no cost to him/her (or literally to yourself if you happen to have both editions and another console lying around). Let's say the Red/Blue edition(s), you could have 6 lv100 Mewtwos on your team when it's all said and done. You'd just have to trade the Mewtwo from each of the save files back and forth and voila! Oh yes, because this wouldn't cheapen the game at all. 

And no, I wouldn't be okay with only one character save full stop in MGS, either. There's a world of difference between only allowing 1 save (or having to pay for additional saves) in a game that allows you to have multiple unique characters and only allowing 1 save to prevent obvious cheating/exploiting in the case of the Pokemon example.