By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Lots of Switch Ports For 2018; NSMBU Switch Port Coming?

zippy said:
Azelover said:

WHAT IS RETRO DOING?????

Are they in development hell? Nintendo is an experienced developer, they know what to do when that happens.. just ditch the game and start over..

FUCK!

I've heard rumblings that Retro have been working on Labo. Probably a load of bollocks.... I hope.

I made a joke about that in another Labo thread.  Where had you heard these grumblings.

Around the Network

What I don't get is this: Nintendo publishes around 30 games per year and that number has been pretty consistent during the last generation. So, Bandai is developing Metroid. We know Hyrule Warriors isn't in-house, Labo is more like a project of Nintendos hardware division (with "demo" software) and considering ports don't eat up a lot of resources... what exactly are Nintendo's developers doing with their time? Is there going to be an epic flood wave of new games in 2019?

I think Emily is exaggerating here. The first half of the year is pretty even between ports and new releases. We know Yoshi and Fire Emblem are coming and they are certainly going to have one or two new games for the holidays (hell, Pokémon is planned for "2018 or later", they just don't know if they'll make it).

Johnw1104 said:
I'll confess to growing impatient with the lack of anything resembling Miiverse on the Switch... why discontinue that service if you had nothing to replace it? Miiverse was brilliant, all it needed was a rebranding and some tinkering... Nintendo can be very frustrating at times heh

Agree. It drives me crazy, that I can see my friends taken over from WiiU and what they play - but cannot contact them. And if only to make a Pinball tournament together. This complete lack of possibilities to communicate is bullshit. If we would've at least private messages. Public posts are good to build a new community with new people, but private messages would at least allow to keep in contact with the ones I already have made contact on WiiU.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Soundwave said:
For 3rd party stuff I'm thinking

Dragon Quest XI
Grand Theft Auto V Switch
Overwatch (rumored)
Madden NFL 2019
Octopath Traveller
Dark Souls

Is what Nintendo is leaning on.

GTA is rumored only, or did I miss something? If GTA indeed comes, it is a big deal and something Nintendo can lean on.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

celador said:
give me Xenoblade X and Mario Maker this year, and anything else is a bonus. Tokyo Mirage Sessions would be nice too but i think the chances of that are non-existent

2019 better be something special though if this year is quiet

Yeah, at this point Toky Mirage Sessions would be the port I would look forward to the most, it was a great game.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Soundwave said:
For 3rd party stuff I'm thinking

Dragon Quest XI
Grand Theft Auto V Switch
Overwatch (rumored)
Madden NFL 2019
Octopath Traveller
Dark Souls

Is what Nintendo is leaning on.

GTA is rumored only, or did I miss something? If GTA indeed comes, it is a big deal and something Nintendo can lean on.

You dididnt miss nothing, its rumored from solid source and full portable GTAV would totaly make sense, so thats why plenty of people think that GTAV probably coming to Switch this year.

bowserthedog said:
I wish they would take the 3ds lineup more seriously. I mean.. there's a lot of great games to port over from there as well. And these games would receive a far greater graphical enhancement than wiiu games.

I agree. It actually doesn't need always a big graphical update, but there are gems. If they really wanna port something Kid Icarus: Uprising would be amazing.

The_Yoda said:
zippy said:

I've heard rumblings that Retro have been working on Labo. Probably a load of bollocks.... I hope.

I made a joke about that in another Labo thread.  Where had you heard these grumblings.

Its been doing the rounds on social media, could just be hot air. Its not entirely out of the question though.

nemo37 said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:

I think so too. But they are wanting to sell 20 million. I think they need to spread Animal Crossing and Smash out (if they are even coming this year). Ideally, Animal Crossing in the spring or summer and Smash in November.

I am not too worried though. Nintendo does seem to know what they are doing. And we have no idea what's in store for the rest of the year really. 

I will say this though, they do have a habit of either seriously underestimating themselves (Switch first year; Wii early days) or over-estimating themselves (Overproducing Gamecube, Wii U's first year expectations, some mid-life 3DS projections). If you remember Nintendo planned to ship 10 million Wii U units from April 2013 - March 2014. They wanted to do this with a combination of NSMBU + Luigi, Monster Hunter Tri, Lego City Undercover, Pikmin 3, Wii Fit U, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World. Suffice to say none of that helped and the system ended up selling 2.72 million units for the entire year (the November + December launch in 2012 resulted in them moving more units, 3.06 million, than they did in the entire following year). This sort of dramatic momentum shift in a matter of a few months combined with Nintendo's, sometimes, over optimistic assumptions regarding their products and brand is what makes their own targets somewhat unreliable in my view. This dramatic downturn in momentum for Wii U in such a short period of time is also partially why I am skeptical when people come out and say that just because the Switch had a strong first year, the second year would also be strong or stronger. They do not look at cases like Wii U, where things went very sour very quickly (and same could happen here with Switch, particularly since its installbase is still low, and especially if Nintendo doesn't constantly bring their A game). They cannot overestimate themselves again like they did with Wii U.

WiiU started with launch hype and holidays. But directly after that it dropped in early January into levels that made clear WiiU was in trouble. Switch also had strong launch and holidays. But between it had more than a half year to establish it's momentum. And it showed it has good momentum. So we can clearly conclude Switch is not a dud like WiiU. See momentum is best seen outside of launch, holidays and big game releases. Switch had already this periods. For WiiU it was seen in January after launch. The momentum is very different of the two. And basic momentum is hard to correct - in either direction. So a lukewarm year for Switch might slowly decrease momentum, but not a dramatic drop.

Oh god this doesn't sound good. Well at least I won't be completely dried out like last year and can get into more 3rd party games finally for the first time.