By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Lots of Switch Ports For 2018; NSMBU Switch Port Coming?

They still have several of their smaller guns primed and ready to go, like fire emblem and kirby.
Remember they used their two biggest guns last year along with a a spanking new but big one as well. Thats half of their biggest guns already fired.
They need time to recharge for switch's probable peak year of 2019.

Around the Network

I mean, it's all a personal thing. If the ports are games I haven't personally played and am interested in, then I'll get them, but if not or if I have access to them via steam share, then I'll pass. It is what it is, and I have a backlog that could last me until probably 2022 if I didn't allow myself to buy games until I beat them all, so I could use a long break. There are still a number of switch/eshop games I need to buy as well (like Yooka Laylee).

I work full time, am married, and currently am in an accelerated program getting my masters degree, so I need a break from new games coming out like crazy lol.

Unless It's a proper Paper Mario game. That I always need more of, especially after the last two.

I'll say this:

While some of her data may be right, I really doubt she predicted Nintendo Labo. That's a glaring omission in a release calendar. All it would take to change the narrative of this information is for Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, or Pikmin 4 to be released. And this doesn't even assume that Nintendo could announce a title at E3 that could launch at holiday.

I would definitely wait to condemn the company that has been making all of the right moves lately until 2018 is through or at least E3 2018. Some here are already writing epitaphs, but maybe they just enjoy playing grim reaper.

nemo37 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

Not always correct, but undeniably right sometimes. In this case the statement is already pretty much proven, the mini direct unveiled port after port.

Not to rely solely on them indefinitely. 3rd partys will supplement the ports and new games from Nintendo, and it's just to get by this year.

I don't think Nintendo can afford an off year, particularly when their system is still young and needs to increase its installbase. When a system loses momentum and the company cannot turn it around quickly then it becomes unlikely that they will be able to turn it around in the long-term. Also, should sales fall, you can bet the mainstream media is going start all of the Nintendoomed and "they should go third-party/mobile" stuff again like they did during the Wii U years (particularly in the early parts of it), and this in turn will turn-off potential customers from purchasing the system.

I think they can, their amazing 2017 line-up still exist and will still carry system sales, and they still have a consistent stream of games. Yes most of those games aren't technically new this time, but the Wii U ports will be new to a lot of people. Of course 20 million for the year is definitely out of the question, but I think it'll still be up yoy, at worst it'll be flat. Also, Switch had plenty of Nintendoom before it launched so we can see how little that mattered.

super_etecoon said:
I'll say this:

While some of her data may be right, I really doubt she predicted Nintendo Labo. That's a glaring omission in a release calendar. All it would take to change the narrative of this information is for Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, or Pikmin 4 to be released. And this doesn't even assume that Nintendo could announce a title at E3 that could launch at holiday.

I would definitely wait to condemn the company that has been making all of the right moves lately until 2018 is through or at least E3 2018. Some here are already writing epitaphs, but maybe they just enjoy playing grim reaper.

I agree, I'm holding off on criticism until after E3.  I imagine Nintendo youtube channels and websites are going to grab onto this though since its been a slow Nintendo news week.

Around the Network

I'm glad they're releasing New Super Mario Bros All-Stars. Bundling two d-pad joycons with a high quality game in readiness for the virtual console is great thinking by Nintendo.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

A "New Super Mario Maker" would be something I'd buy. NSMBU with Mario Maker together and the ability to play the NSMBU levels in retro sprite style or the "New" style.

Don't think Nintendo would do that though, they stand to probably make a lot of money from porting them separately.

As long as there some new this year to play, I'm fine with less big new titles from Nintendo. They can't possibly recreate 2017 every where. It's just near impossible. The new Fire Emblem coming out this year would be nice though... Heck, this may be a good chance for 3rd party to jump in and get some sales while Nintendo cools down from last year. Some JRPGs would be nice. It's not like Nintendo fans only play Nintendo games, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

super_etecoon said:
I'll say this:

She did say something involving accessories was coming, which we now know as Labo.

super_etecoon said:
I'll say this:

So a guy named Chrom on Resetera posted that Nintendo was releasing a Nintendo Direct of sorts that would cover a new way to play, with a full Nintendo Direct coming in February (he has since walked back on the February Direct, as he believes it will be non-Direct or product specific Direct for the Labo). Emily reiterated that the announcement would appeal to non-gamers and it would combine an accessory with a game and that it would not be covered in a Direct but rather a video (all of this turned out to be correct). She also stated that Nintendo is aiming at broadening their audience this year but not at the expense of core gamers (whom, according to Emily, they believe will be catered to by third-parties). So while she did not specifically leak all the details about Labo, she did get many of reveal details correct before it came out.

On a slightly more positive note she did say to expect many major surprises for Switch this year from third-parties and that Switch would have the best third-party support since GameCube.