By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Lots of Switch Ports For 2018; NSMBU Switch Port Coming?

I don't understand all the comments saying "Well, we can't expect it to be like 2017 again!!!" or "Well that's okay, they had to make 2017 great some how." Like what? That just sounds like deflecting from the fact that the announcements and rumors so far have been lackluster, and doesn't make much sense. No one expects 2018 to be as good as 2017, that doesn't mean we should downplay everything...

Anyways, I don't really think we'll see that much more Wii U ports. To be honest, I expect most of the unannounced ports to be third party, which at least gives me the hope that it will expand out the library and add market appeal. So I consider this rumor somewhat positive, but if it does end up coming with a side of Mario U(come on, this ain't happening), or Mario Maker Port, or Smash port, then honestly fuck off with that noise.

Around the Network

One thing Rogers isn't clear about is whether the bulk of the port focus would be first or third party. Sure, Nintendo could rely mostly on ports for this year, but the majority of them could be third party ports, while they have some smaller, but still substantial releases lined up for 2018 like Kirby, Fire Emblem, Labo, and other new IP.I don't think anyone is expecting 2018 to be as great as 2017, but I don't think Nintendo should be lulling with the Switch quite yet.

nemo37 said: 

So a guy named Chrom on Resetera posted that Nintendo was releasing a Nintendo Direct of sorts that would cover a new way to play, with a full Nintendo Direct coming in February (he has since walked back on the February Direct, as he believes it will be non-Direct or product specific Direct for the Labo).

Ugh seriously? This is the second time he's done that. Really dashes my hopes of seeing FE Switch anytime soon. =(

If this is true, then that is the dumbest decision they could make since the Wii U era. Nintendo has always gone about the motto "software sells hardware".... Well, the software didn't sell the Wii U, it's not going to sell the Switch. This will kill all momentum that they had perfectly established last year. They to keep momentum. Ports of Wii U games and older 3rd party games won't cut it. The only port that I see moving systems is Smash, but they would need to add content to it.

The 3rd party support is nice, but so far the only confirmed exclusive is Octopath Traveller (to my knowledge), and while that looks phenomenal, it isn't going to move systems. I feel like they need at least Animal Crossing this year.

1doesnotsimply

Lonely_Dolphin said:
nemo37 said: 

So a guy named Chrom on Resetera posted that Nintendo was releasing a Nintendo Direct of sorts that would cover a new way to play, with a full Nintendo Direct coming in February (he has since walked back on the February Direct, as he believes it will be non-Direct or product specific Direct for the Labo).

Ugh seriously? This is the second time he's done that. Really dashes my hopes of seeing FE Switch anytime soon. =(

To be fair, unless there is a delay, we could pretty much expect a new FE Switch game sometime this year. If I am not mistaken, I believe it was announced in the Fire Emblem Direct last year for a 2018 release.

Around the Network

WHAT IS RETRO DOING?????

Are they in development hell? Nintendo is an experienced developer, they know what to do when that happens.. just ditch the game and start over..

FUCK!

nemo37 said:
Lonely_Dolphin said:

To be fair, unless there is a delay, we could pretty much expect a new FE Switch game sometime this year. If I am not mistaken, I believe it was announced in the Fire Emblem Direct last year for a 2018 release.

I know but I want to physically see it. Was expecting it to have been revealed by now, but instead it seems we'll have to wait as far as April.

Azelover said:

WHAT IS RETRO DOING?????

Are they in development hell? Nintendo is an experienced developer, they know what to do when that happens.. just ditch the game and start over..

FUCK!

Didn't you see the announcement? Here's the greatness they worked the past 4 years on!

FarleyMcFirefly said:
If this is true, then that is the dumbest decision they could make since the Wii U era. Nintendo has always gone about the motto "software sells hardware".... Well, the software didn't sell the Wii U, it's not going to sell the Switch. This will kill all momentum that they had perfectly established last year. They to keep momentum. Ports of Wii U games and older 3rd party games won't cut it. The only port that I see moving systems is Smash, but they would need to add content to it.

The 3rd party support is nice, but so far the only confirmed exclusive is Octopath Traveller (to my knowledge), and while that looks phenomenal, it isn't going to move systems. I feel like they need at least Animal Crossing this year.

There's still Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V and No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again when it comes to third party exclusives. 2 of them can release in 2018.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Azelover said:

WHAT IS RETRO DOING?????

FUCK!

Didn't you see the announcement? Here's the greatness they worked the past 4 years on!

LMAO!!!

Seriously if that's really the case, Nintendo should sell them!

Clearly no talent resides there anymore :P