By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Emily Rogers: Lots of Switch Ports For 2018; NSMBU Switch Port Coming?

I wish they would take the 3ds lineup more seriously. I mean.. there's a lot of great games to port over from there as well. And these games would receive a far greater graphical enhancement than wiiu games.

Around the Network

The one nice thing about this is it really give 3rd parties a chance to shine. It kind of forces Nintendo fans to give 3rd party games more of a chance and this could be a really good thing for Nintendo's long term future as a platform holder.

RolStoppable said:
super_etecoon said:
I'll say this:

While some of her data may be right, I really doubt she predicted Nintendo Labo. That's a glaring omission in a release calendar. All it would take to change the narrative of this information is for Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime 4, Pokemon, or Pikmin 4 to be released. And this doesn't even assume that Nintendo could announce a title at E3 that could launch at holiday.

I would definitely wait to condemn the company that has been making all of the right moves lately until 2018 is through or at least E3 2018. Some here are already writing epitaphs, but maybe they just enjoy playing grim reaper.

I am quite sure she has a source within Nintendo, but a rather low-level one. That's how she obtains information, but it's usually not looking far into the future and therefore she keeps anything that is more than half a year away very vague and at the same time she doesn't know about everything that is coming within the next six months.

The pieces fit together that way. She makes a comment about reliance on third parties and first party ports at a time when her low-level source already knows what's going to be featured in the upcoming Direct, but at the same time she looks to be completely in the dark regarding Labo because that piece of information hadn't trickled down to her source yet.

That would make sense. Rogers has multiple sources it seems, and she's said things from them before that didn't end up happening. So Nintendo could have more planed for 2018 than we think. 

It sounded like Emily knew about Labo beforehand as other posters have said, but who knows.

LipeJJ said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
If this is true, then that is the dumbest decision they could make since the Wii U era. Nintendo has always gone about the motto "software sells hardware".... Well, the software didn't sell the Wii U, it's not going to sell the Switch. This will kill all momentum that they had perfectly established last year. They to keep momentum. Ports of Wii U games and older 3rd party games won't cut it. The only port that I see moving systems is Smash, but they would need to add content to it.

The 3rd party support is nice, but so far the only confirmed exclusive is Octopath Traveller (to my knowledge), and while that looks phenomenal, it isn't going to move systems. I feel like they need at least Animal Crossing this year.

There's still Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V and No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again when it comes to third party exclusives. 2 of them can release in 2018.

Forgot about SMT V and NMH. Bayonetta 3 would be awesome to release this year. But none of these games are system sellers even though, judging by their predecessors, these games will be amazing.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network
FarleyMcFirefly said:
LipeJJ said:

There's still Bayonetta 3, Shin Megami Tensei V and No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again when it comes to third party exclusives. 2 of them can release in 2018.

Forgot about SMT V and NMH. Bayonetta 3 would be awesome to release this year. But none of these games are system sellers even though, judging by their predecessors, these games will be amazing.

Yeah, I agree. While they're all amazing games, none are system sellers indeed. But I think their role is to act more like support titles. If Switch has tons of those + Animal Crossing/Smash during holidays, I think it will do well enough.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

bowserthedog said:
I wish they would take the 3ds lineup more seriously. I mean.. there's a lot of great games to port over from there as well. And these games would receive a far greater graphical enhancement than wiiu games.

But that's the catch: 3DS games would require complete rework in most cases and that would take more time and cost more... to the point it would better to simply make a new game of the respective franchise instead of remaking it.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
FarleyMcFirefly said:
If this is true, then that is the dumbest decision they could make since the Wii U era. Nintendo has always gone about the motto "software sells hardware".... Well, the software didn't sell the Wii U, it's not going to sell the Switch. This will kill all momentum that they had perfectly established last year. They to keep momentum. Ports of Wii U games and older 3rd party games won't cut it. The only port that I see moving systems is Smash, but they would need to add content to it.

The 3rd party support is nice, but so far the only confirmed exclusive is Octopath Traveller (to my knowledge), and while that looks phenomenal, it isn't going to move systems. I feel like they need at least Animal Crossing this year.

No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again was confirmed for 2018, so unless it is delayed we should see it. Bayonetta 3 is uncertain but seeing how we have not seen much aside from a teaser I do suspect it will be a 2019 release, but Platinum Games is a productive studio so it could be less. As for SMTV, the director of that game said in December that the game was still in early development and that the gameplay mechanics were still not finalized, so I definitely do not expect this game for 2018.

With that being said though, Emily Rogers (one of the people that contributed to the rumours we are speaking of right now) did say the following (after the Mini-Direct):

"But there are still more third party titles that will be announced later this year from Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Bandai Namco. Some of these unannounced titles may have been rumored on the internet before -- and some unannounced titles have never been rumored at all. Trust me, there's some good stuff coming from third parties. You will be pleasantly surprised in the third party department"

"Like I said before, this is a good year for third party stuff on Switch. Full of unexpected surprises. Switch might have the best third party support since maybe GameCube".

I think it is suffice to say that more things will be announced for this year so we do not have to be reliant on just the titles you mentioned above. Of course it is important for at least some of those titles to be geared towards mainstream gamers and opposed to all of them targeting small niches.

The key gamble for this year is A) the market treats their ports as new games because few experienced them on Wii U and want to experience them here B) As an extension of point A, there is no backlash among core gamers and they remain interested in the system C) third-parties (which in most cases have not been system sellers) provide enough enticing content to keep momentum going. I feel those are some heavy gambles and I am pessimistic...but I hope I am wrong, because on a personal level, the Switch (powerful portable that easily connects to TV) has been the system I have always wanted and I want for it to succeed. I just hope Nintendo does not mess this up by taking their position for-granted.

If this should be true that would be quite disappointing on Nintendos side.

nemo37 said:
LipeJJ said:

No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again was confirmed for 2018, so unless it is delayed we should see it. Bayonetta 3 is uncertain but seeing how we have not seen much aside from a teaser I do suspect it will be a 2019 release, but Platinum Games is a productive studio so it could be less. As for SMTV, the director of that game said in December that the game was still in early development and that the gameplay mechanics were still not finalized, so I definitely do not expect this game for 2018.

With that being said though, Emily Rogers (one of the people that contributed to the rumours we are speaking of right now) did say the following (after the Mini-Direct):

"But there are still more third party titles that will be announced later this year from Square Enix, Ubisoft, and Bandai Namco. Some of these unannounced titles may have been rumored on the internet before -- and some unannounced titles have never been rumored at all. Trust me, there's some good stuff coming from third parties. You will be pleasantly surprised in the third party department"

"Like I said before, this is a good year for third party stuff on Switch. Full of unexpected surprises. Switch might have the best third party support since maybe GameCube".

I think it is suffice to say that more things will be announced for this year so we do not have to be reliant on just the titles you mentioned above. Of course it is important for at least some of those titles to be geared towards mainstream gamers and opposed to all of them targeting small niches.

The key gamble for this year is A) the market treats their ports as new games because few experienced them on Wii U and want to experience them here B) As an extension of point A, there is no backlash among core gamers and they remain interested in the system C) third-parties (which in most cases have not been system sellers) provide enough enticing content to keep momentum going. I feel those are some heavy gambles and I am pessimistic...but I hope I am wrong, because on a personal level, the Switch (powerful portable that easily connects to TV) has been the system I have always wanted and I want for it to succeed. I just hope Nintendo does not mess this up by taking their position for-granted.

Yeah, that sounds great. I was just remind him of the already announced titles that could come in 2018. If 2018 is a third party year, then great. It's an opportunity for them to sell better and establish themselves on the platform. Hope we see some exclusive and exciting games coming.