By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Depression Thread

adisababa said:
To me the best way to get over depression is really to just work out, I know it's hard to get motivated but seriously the gym is an amazing place once you really get started.

Getting tired actually feels amazing, depression is really draining on the mind but once you start working out it really brings your spirits up. To me, working out is a cathartic experience, it feels like those negative emotions you once had basically just dissipates and escapes from your body.

I was a shut-in, I almost never went out, I stayed in and played games and watched a ton of anime, I felt like I had no purpose in life, it felt kinda pointless to me and I felt drained even though I rarely engaged in physical activity.

I started working out one day on some free trial thing and goddamn the first day felt amazing, I liked feeling tired, feeling the pain, it made me feel as if I was on this plane of existence, I was a lot happier and gaming actually felt fun, anime didn't feel like background noise.

Working out is amazing, it can get really hard to stay motivated and trust me sometimes I really didn't want to go but once you get in there and your adrenaline gets flowing, you feel alive and not as detached from life as I once was.

Yeah, my physical activity virtually amounts to 0, that probably doesn't help.

Around the Network

I think that as time goes on, I realize more how much a friend in your vicinity helps. Sometimes I just want to be able to hug and cry on someone, but I don't have any friends so I can't even do that.

Here's a song I thoroughly enjoy, though:

Sometimes I feel like what I need in my life to stop being depressed isn’t quite attainable. What I mean is, maybe I can hold the feeling off for awhile, but it always comes back.

I’m not sure if I’m just going about dealing with my depression the wrong way, or if there’s actually something chronic that I can’t get rid of by normal means.

When I feel this way I can’t really enjoy anything. I don’t want to play games, listen to music, watch anything, etc. It makes me feel like there’s nothing that can pull me out of this.

I just wish I had a foolproof way of releasing these feelings.

Thechalkblock said:
Sometimes I feel like what I need in my life to stop being depressed isn’t quite attainable. What I mean is, maybe I can hold the feeling off for awhile, but it always comes back.

I’m not sure if I’m just going about dealing with my depression the wrong way, or if there’s actually something chronic that I can’t get rid of by normal means.

When I feel this way I can’t really enjoy anything. I don’t want to play games, listen to music, watch anything, etc. It makes me feel like there’s nothing that can pull me out of this.

That's hard to determine, unfortunately there is no catch-all solution. Have you ever tried seeking help?

Around the Network
Thechalkblock said:

Go to a therapist and talk about these issues.
There is no right or wrong ways, there are ways though.
It is about your life, it will cost you.. but it is about your life, it is worth the time and effort. Get real help, not 'keyboard advice'.

my (now ex)gf is bipolar and got diagnosed with it ~6months ago, 3½years of on and off hell/bliss.
(it is not direct depression, but you can get depressed during episodes)
Therapy helps a lot, she is better off now cause she learned of ways to control her condition

if it is a re-occurring thing you should check it up and not brush it off.

3DS FC# 4553-9947-9017 NNID: Bajablo

Torn-City - MMO text based RPG, join me! :)

I've had a pretty tough period where my small family was suffering from several parallel happening cases of lung cancer..very ugly and depressing period for the whole family. Additionally I lost my best friend because I fell in love with her. So for years I fled into drugs, just to be able to cope with it.

All I can say is doing Kambo basically wiped away all my self-medicating addictions...and therefore all depression with it, making music, meditating and sports and ABOVE ALL my DOG! stabilise me extremely these days. LSD also can help a lot, also applied in very low dosis. (microdosing) because it generally enhances your self awareness and the better you understand yourself, the better you can cope with it.

If anyone is interested in what Kambo can do to your whole immune system please feel free to PM me about it. Here's an article about it.

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/gqkxa9/kambo-ceremony-alcoholism-purging-uk

Peace and love to you all and rest assured you're not alone!

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 29 January 2018

TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
1) You’re depressed and you want to kill yourself, having suicidal thoughts,
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.
3) So stop thinking about it. It worked for me.

Being depressed does not mean that you have to have suicidal thoughts. It can lead to that point of despair, but as depression is dependant on the individual who is depressed it can manifest in many different ways.

The person can lose interest in things, feel: sad, hopeless, worthless, tired, angry, frustrated, nothing... it may be diffucult to: concentrate, sleep, work, enjoy anything, think or do anything...

If someone is depressed and begins to have self-harming thoughts its important to seek professional help, but if for example the person can counter those thoughts and rationalize that suicide is not an option, then that is great.

When I became more and more depressed I slowly started to think think about hurting myself, but I quickly rationalized that I couldnt do it, so it was not an option anymore and I didn´t have to think about it. For me the reason was that I knew  it would be horrible and cruel to those that I love the most. It would hurt them too much.

I now feel much better, althought I am still not completely depression-free. Theraphy and changing the way I think about myself and other things has helped me a lot. Being active and eating healthy food seem to help too.

One silly tip that I once heard was just to smile more. So keep on smiling and even if you have to force that smile it could trick your brain and make you more happy. I don´t know if that really works, but it might help a bit :D

PSintend0 said:
TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
1) You’re depressed and you want to kill yourself, having suicidal thoughts,
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.
3) So stop thinking about it. It worked for me.

Being depressed does not mean that you have to have suicidal thoughts. It can lead to that point of despair, but as depression is dependant on the individual who is depressed it can manifest in many different ways.

The person can lose interest in things, feel: sad, hopeless, worthless, tired, angry, frustrated, nothing... it may be diffucult to: concentrate, sleep, work, enjoy anything, think or do anything...

If someone is depressed and begins to have self-harming thoughts its important to seek professional help, but if for example the person can counter those thoughts and rationalize that suicide is not an option, then that is great.

When I became more and more depressed I slowly started to think think about hurting myself, but I quickly rationalized that I couldnt do it, so it was not an option anymore and I didn´t have to think about it. For me the reason was that I knew  it would be horrible and cruel to those that I love the most. It would hurt them too much.

I now feel much better, althought I am still not completely depression-free. Theraphy and changing the way I think about myself and other things has helped me a lot. Being active and eating healthy food seem to help too.

One silly tip that I once heard was just to smile more. So keep on smiling and even if you have to force that smile it could trick your brain and make you more happy. I don´t know if that really works, but it might help a bit :D

It's terrible advice that he gave in any case, because that is assuming that suicide doesn't exist, yet people have done it in the past, and it will unfortunately continue to happen. I'm glad that you're feeling better now than you did before, hopefully you can get even better!

Azelover said:
I lost my mom last year, after a battle wih cancer.

A lot of other things are going on, but I don't feel comfortable sharing them. I've been trying to help other people who are depressed, because it's the best thing I could do. Very often I feel like I'm totally alone in this world. And I don't know what to do, except keep going. I don't have any friends, it's a thing of destiny it feels. There is a judicial case in the family, and that has distanced a lot people I loved from me. And pretty much everybody has left.

Really sorry to hear that man. I never experienced loss at the same level as you did, but I do feel that after the death of one of my family members we had a similar sittuation, except it wasn't judicial, only an unspoken family squable. Feeling like you cannot get help from anyone around you, or not even the least bit of sympathy can be harsh, but if you manage to get through it, it will make you stronger as a person. It sounds cliche, I know, but its comming from experience.

I often find myself dealing with certain issues (on an almost monthly basis), that would have demolished me on a mental level a couple of years ago and they simply pass by now. So stay strong. The fact that you obviously have a great hobby will help you often, as I was helped by movies, games, music and literature in general.

And the sittuation with friends. Don't worry, friends do come and go most of the time. You never really know. Heads up dude, and stay strong! It will all get better! Untill then, game on

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!