By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Depression Thread

KungKras said:

Yeah I am getting better. Exercise and succeeding at some of my academic life goals are helping.

Now all that's left is getting a girlfriend (that I can be proud of) and I'll have turned my life into a win.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I know this is going to sound stupid, but the fact that I can't even fully indulge in escapism because a game requires you to have friends to play when ... guess what ... I have no friends, really makes me sad. So many of the best games this gen are multiplayer games that are 100x better with voice chat and a group of pals, and we're even seeing a slow resurgence of co-op games. I can still play a lot of these games by myself and have fun, but some of them I can't and those I can just constantly remind me in the back of my mind of my loser status.

It's not that this is a top priority for me, it really isn't, but it does suck that even in the world of video games you can be reminded who you really are.

KungKras nice to hear that you are doing better now :D

These two post reminded me of a problem that especially men seem to have. The need to achieve things professionally and provide.

It also reminded just in general need to achieve and succeed in life. People are told that they need to: study, have a succesfull career, have friends, have a partner, have kids, have money, be fit, eat healthy food...etc..etc....   in order to be happy.

As many people don´t have all that, some of them worry too much about those things that they don´t have and are fixated on being succesfull instead of just being happy. A person doesn´t have to have it all to be important, to be happy or to feel good about itself. Also its not just completely happy or completely unhappy, but actually everything between those two.

Try to be good, okay, great or something, but don´t try to be perfect or feel bad for not being perfect. Forgive yourself and other when needed and remember imperfection is the only form of perfection.

Around the Network
PSintend0 said: 

These two post reminded me of a problem that especially men seem to have. The need to achieve things professionally and provide.

It also reminded just in general need to achieve and succeed in life. People are told that they need to: study, have a succesfull career, have friends, have a partner, have kids, have money, be fit, eat healthy food...etc..etc....   in order to be happy.

As many people don´t have all that, some of them worry too much about those things that they don´t have and are fixated on being succesfull instead of just being happy. A person doesn´t have to have it all to be important, to be happy or to feel good about itself. Also its not just completely happy or completely unhappy, but actually everything between those two.

Try to be good, okay, great or something, but don´t try to be perfect or feel bad for not being perfect. Forgive yourself and other when needed and remember imperfection is the only form of perfection.

Lol I love this guy's youtube channel ... kind of odd he made this video though, he usually just makes movie discussion videos

I wish you all suffering depression to find the inner strenght and all the outside help you can get !

My personal history, is having a close shave from burn out at work : I started to feel overconfident, worked 12h a day, worked at home, sometime came at night to work, I was an absolute dickhead, had insomnia, I was drinking 2 bottle of vodka a week... then after a year without holiday, managing to achieve my goal at work, I took two weeks of holiday (my boss kinda forced me to).

I ended sleeping for two weeks cause body takes it over mind at some point.

After a visit to the doctor (at work), she made me realised that I went close to burn out. Back home, I throwed away my bottles of alcohol, bought some sport shoes, then pushed the door to the gym.

This being said, after two experiences around me, of people suffering mental diseases who snapped and became violent, I'm very wary of this. My uncle left my nephew in the middle of nowhere, an ex friend, overnight, sent me death threat on my phone while he was attempting suicide. I had to call for help and he mugged two firemen, trying to rescue him, and he ended in military psychiatric hospital for one month.

You guys take care of yourselves and ppl around you o7

Two general tips to combat depression. Exercise helps because it reduces anxiety, improves mood and decreases depression. Also try to limit your Facebook use. Some studies have shown using social media too much causes depression.

Around the Network

Oh God, what a weekend. It was not great, had a mental relapse.

VGPolyglot said:

Did something happen? I hope you are alright.

Is it weird that I sometimes find that listening a bit melancholic music helps to calm me down and raise my mood? For example most of the music from hotel dusk: room 215 or heavy rain.

PSintend0 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Did something happen? I hope you are alright.

Is it weird that I sometimes find that listening a bit melancholic music helps to calm me down and raise my mood? For example most of the music from hotel dusk: room 215 or heavy rain.

It's something that I don't really think I should go into detail about, but I've just had trouble coping with a situation that I don't really want.

What kills me the most are those who are well off and yet don't appreciate how lucky they got it yet still bitch and moan and unwilling to help.

KratosLives said:
What kills me the most are those who are well off and yet don't appreciate how lucky they got it yet still bitch and moan and unwilling to help.

I don't understand why this is such a popular way of thinking. It literally helps no one to sit there and worry about whether or not someones concerns are genuine or whether or not they're being worthless. You aren't helping anyone.