By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Depression Thread

Had it since I was a kid.

Growing up with a schizophrenic mother who refuses to take her meds does that to you.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Around the Network

Had the flu last week so felt like shit. Body aching and no energy. Was feeling down today and didn't want to go training. Just no motivation.

Decided to go and I have to say I feel much better afterwards. I've not got severe depression or anything but I firmly believe exercise helps the mind.

Azelover said:
I lost my mom last year, after a battle wih cancer.

A lot of other things are going on, but I don't feel comfortable sharing them. I've been trying to help other people who are depressed, because it's the best thing I could do. Very often I feel like I'm totally alone in this world. And I don't know what to do, except keep going. I don't have any friends, it's a thing of destiny it feels. There is a judicial case in the family, and that has distanced a lot people I loved from me. And pretty much everybody has left.

Sorry hear that you lost your mom, it must be hard. I hope you do well. About that destiny thing, don´t give up on people and make your own destiny. Depression can make you feel that you deserve only bad things and that you don´t deserve friends or to be loved, but that´s not true. Being alone with your thoughts and feelings can lead to you to those feelings, feeling that there is no hope to get friends, that being lonely is your destiny etc.

Many people have those same thoughts, some may even feel lonely while surrounded by friends, depression does that, it isolates you from the world.

Helping others to cope with depression could bring you new friends? Or you (and everyone who needs more friends) could also try to think out side the box, think new places where to go and meet people and get to know them, try something different.

Kerotan said:
Had the flu last week so felt like shit. Body aching and no energy. Was feeling down today and didn't want to go training. Just no motivation.

Decided to go and I have to say I feel much better afterwards. I've not got severe depression or anything but I firmly believe exercise helps the mind.

You were feeling down and had no motivation, so was it easy to go? For someone who is depressed, getting out of the bed to go to toilet might be a challenge, not to mention going out or going out to a gym etc.

That being said, it sure helps to exercise regurlarly, but that also varies from person to person. I don´t notice almost any difference from working out, unless its something that I really like, and even then it doesn´t always cheer me up. If its something that I like to do, something that I enjoy, then regardles whether its playing Zelda, reading a good book or playing soccer with my friends, it often ups my spirits.

KungKras said:

Growing up with a schizophrenic mother who refuses to take her meds does that to you.

How are you doing now? Are you getting better, worse or being the same?

I must confess that I sometimes feel very guilty of being depressed as I had happy childhood and overall everything is and has been quite well for me.

Stay strong and keep going forward, and don´t think too much about the past.

Here's another great song to listen to, unfortunately I feel a bit down today myself:

PAOerfulone said:
TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
1) You’re depressed and you want to kill yourself, having suicidal thoughts,
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.
3) So stop thinking about it. It worked for me.

It's not as simple as "stop thinking about it." It's not some switch you can just flick on and off like the light in your bedroom.  People are depressed for a wide variety of reasons and in order for them to overcome their depression, they need to have the strength and support to address and overcome what is causing them depression in the first place. 
For example, say a woman is in depression because she suffers from domestic violence; Do you really think "stop thinking about it" is going to work for her? Probably not. She would have to go through a very long and difficult process of admitting she is being abused, find the strength within herself to seek support and leave her abusive partner, use all the help and resources at her disposal, (family, friends, community, supportive programs, etc.) to help her become self supportive, move on from her abusive relationship, and eventually, and hopefully, overcome her depression. 
That's just one example out of thousands, and every single one is different from the other. 

I should've made it more clear in my post, but I was specifying in suicidal depression/thoughts; the example you gave with the woman kind of relates to a social depression where you can't stop thinking about abuse, even in a conversation with a random person. 

Around the Network

These past few weeks are widely considered to be the gloomiest of the calendar year ("Blue Monday" on the 14th, lack on sunlight, isolation etc). Here in Canada, today (January 31st) is known as Let's Talk Day - where various undertakings on social media help raise both money (mainly from donations from Bell Corporation) and awareness for Mental Health nationwide. It's actually what inspired me to check up on this site - because believe it or not it is where I spent most of my depressed days as a young adult - and lo and behold on my return I discover there is a thread up!

This is a very important thread and I think it was a great idea to put it up. Kudos to everyone who has posted in it so far.

If you (like me) are an introverted man living in a society that celebrates individual progress and achievement, you get caught in a triple bind:

1. As men we are taught to suppress our emotions to maintain the "masculine" form

2. As introverts we may feel uneasy going to other people with personal and vulnerable information

3. As individuals in an individualized society we may feel alone, and that we have an obligation to recover by ourselves.

Without outside help it is very easy to continue spooling in these conditions until you feel you are drowning. And the further down you get, the harder it seems it will be to reach out. It is tragic that those who need emotional support the most are likely the same people who are the most apathetic or unwilling to branch out and receive it.

That is why I believe you are the real heroes. You who come forward and puts a voice to a largely silent movement. And it is you who then provides a platform for others like me to come forward and share my story. Thank you for that.

I want to let you know that there is help out there. It is estimated that 1/4 people in the world will experience mental illness of some sort during their lifetime. There are so many people out there who hold a connection with you; who would share words with you if given the chance; friends and family members included. On top of that there are counselors whose job is to listen and help you along.

When you share your words - no matter how many - you are taking a massive step in the right direction. Remember that.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

KungKras said:

How are you doing now? Are you getting better, worse or being the same?

I must confess that I sometimes feel very guilty of being depressed as I had happy childhood and overall everything is and has been quite well for me.

Stay strong and keep going forward, and don´t think too much about the past.

Yeah I am getting better. Exercise and succeeding at some of my academic life goals are helping.

Now all that's left is getting a girlfriend (that I can be proud of) and I'll have turned my life into a win.

I LOVE ICELAND!

what a shit night, when out, not even one phone number, feeling drunk and depressed.

I know this is going to sound stupid, but the fact that I can't even fully indulge in escapism because a game requires you to have friends to play when ... guess what ... I have no friends, really makes me sad. So many of the best games this gen are multiplayer games that are 100x better with voice chat and a group of pals, and we're even seeing a slow resurgence of co-op games. I can still play a lot of these games by myself and have fun, but some of them I can't and those I can just constantly remind me in the back of my mind of my loser status.

It's not that this is a top priority for me, it really isn't, but it does suck that even in the world of video games you can be reminded who you really are.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I know this is going to sound stupid, but the fact that I can't even fully indulge in escapism because a game requires you to have friends to play when ... guess what ... I have no friends, really makes me sad. So many of the best games this gen are multiplayer games that are 100x better with voice chat and a group of pals, and we're even seeing a slow resurgence of co-op games. I can still play a lot of these games by myself and have fun, but some of them I can't and those I can just constantly remind me in the back of my mind of my loser status.

It's not that this is a top priority for me, it really isn't, but it does suck that even in the world of video games you can be reminded who you really are.

Yeah, that is a bit hard to deal with.