By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Depression Thread

I lost my mom last year, after a battle wih cancer.

A lot of other things are going on, but I don't feel comfortable sharing them. I've been trying to help other people who are depressed, because it's the best thing I could do. Very often I feel like I'm totally alone in this world. And I don't know what to do, except keep going. I don't have any friends, it's a thing of destiny it feels. There is a judicial case in the family, and that has distanced a lot people I loved from me. And pretty much everybody has left.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
spurgeonryan said:

Something negative that has happened. So a large distorted reaction to bad world news. 

All I know is I have never been depressed. So I must be doing something right. I suggest not worrying about the dead dog. Like I said,  just don't care. I had a dog that I had for 12 years die. Didn't let it bother me. Loved that dog. 

No... that's really not how it works.  Because brain chemistry.

With all due respect, if you haven't experienced depression and have no expertise in the subject, you probably shouldn't be advising depressed people.  

Doesnt hurt to try. 

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

I had a depressive few years between school and my first job. I didn't notice it until very late because of my extreme introvert lifestyle. But then it got a lot worse. I basically lost all motivation to do anything had episodes where I was just sad for no reason. It didn't help watching all those drama animes.
One day I confided in my mom and after a visit to my doctor she sent me to a psychologist. I had one session there and it felt great. I said I would definitely return but I never did. It got gradually better after I got my job and had to go out more. My job gave me a lot of confidence and a fixed outlook on my life and my future.

I still live very much holed up and avoid social activities as much as possible but I do it with purpose and confidence now. I do consider myself happy right now.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
1) You’re depressed and you want to kill yourself, having suicidal thoughts,
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.
3) So stop thinking about it. It worked for me.

Then you are lucky you were able to turn it around by yourself.

It's true that body and instinct are designed to self-preserve, but some people still get to the stage where they are desperate enough that they can override that instinct.

Depression can occur as the direct result of events and stresses in a person's life, but it can also be the symptom of an inherent mental or physical disorder.    It's not something that is easily 'switched off'. Many people don't even know why they are depressed, or the root of their depression turns out to be something other than what they think it is. Others are unable to admit, even to themselves, that they have a problem.

Although big strides forward have been made about raising awareness about mental health worldwide in recent years, there is still a stigma about it, especially for males, because males are less likely to talk about their problems than females. In the UK, 1 in 8 men have experienced mental health problems (that we know about) and 3 out of 4 suicides are men. 

So for a thread like this to pop up on a gaming forum populated almost entirely by males is a good thing.

Hedra42 said:
TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.

Then you are lucky you were able to turn it around by yourself.

It's true that body and instinct are designed to self-preserve, but some people still get to the stage where they are desperate enough that they can override that instinct.

Depression can occur as the direct result of events and stresses in a person's life, but it can also be the symptom of an inherent mental or physical disorder.    It's not something that is easily 'switched off'. Many people don't even know why they are depressed, or the root of their depression turns out to be something other than what they think it is. Others are unable to admit, even to themselves, that they have a problem.

Although big strides forward have been made about raising awareness about mental health worldwide in recent years, there is still a stigma about it, especially for males, because males are less likely to talk about their problems than females. In the UK, 1 in 8 men have experienced mental health problems (that we know about) and 3 out of 4 suicides are men. 

So for a thread like this to pop up on a gaming forum populated almost entirely by males is a good thing.

hmm I guess i must suffer from this a bit. sometimes i feel like i have a inferiority complex disorder, like somebody having a beautiful good wife, or being way more successful, makes me feel depressed, like why can't i have that. I meet girls regularly since i'm living in medellin now but i still haven't met the one i truly want, i guess i get randomly depressed.       

Around the Network

Well uhm ..... hmm .... I'm depressed.

Just felt like contributing to the thread!

spurgeonryan said:
JWeinCom said:

You're confusing depression with sadness.  Watching world news can make you sad or upset, but rarely truly depressed.

Sadness is a realistic reaction to something negative that has happened.  I.e. my dog died and I'll miss him, and I feel like crying.
Depression is a distorted reaction to something negative that has happened, usually involving negative thoughts targeted at oneself.  I.e. my dog died, and I'll never be happy again, and my dog was the only creature in the world that actually cared about me, and now I have no reason to live, and I'm worthless.
Or it could just be all that negative thinking without a dead dog or any actual trigger.

Something negative that has happened. So a large distorted reaction to bad world news. 

All I know is I have never been depressed. So I must be doing something right. I suggest not worrying about the dead dog. Like I said,  just don't care. I had a dog that I had for 12 years die. Didn't let it bother me. Loved that dog. 

Lucky you, but if you never been depressed, you will never understand, depression can come for any reason. even famous rich actors that have looks and wealth get depressed, and it could be over the silliest reasons, it's brain chemistry, and every brain is very different. 

I would recommend anybody suffering from depression and being lonely to travel to south america, your status will much higher here, and much easier to meet a descent good looking wife, just don't be the type of guy that if he loses his girl, or wife that wants to kill himself.

Last edited by quickrick - on 23 January 2018

Currently in a mild depression, it isn't as bad as it was last few months, when I had days where I couldn't eat or sleep, wake up too early, I also had episodes of crying that never existed before, and gastrointestinal problems resulting from worries.

Shit is crazy man, didn't expect it could happen to me but it did. You can't stop it from happening or taking your mind off it, I went to the gym etc, doesn't help.

TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;

Read the OP. This is not a place to give suggestions for emergency situations, we're not properly equipped to deal with that and it could lead to disastrous results here.

So, on Thursday I'm going back to the place I got therapy, after a year-long hiatus. Hopefully it turns out well, I really need to get back to going there or something in that vein since I have not had a great state of mind recently.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 23 January 2018