By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Depression Thread

Hedra42 said:
TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
1) You’re depressed and you want to kill yourself, having suicidal thoughts,
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.
3) So stop thinking about it. It worked for me.

Then you are lucky you were able to turn it around by yourself.

It's true that body and instinct are designed to self-preserve, but some people still get to the stage where they are desperate enough that they can override that instinct.

Depression can occur as the direct result of events and stresses in a person's life, but it can also be the symptom of an inherent mental or physical disorder.    It's not something that is easily 'switched off'. Many people don't even know why they are depressed, or the root of their depression turns out to be something other than what they think it is. Others are unable to admit, even to themselves, that they have a problem.

Although big strides forward have been made about raising awareness about mental health worldwide in recent years, there is still a stigma about it, especially for males, because males are less likely to talk about their problems than females. In the UK, 1 in 8 men have experienced mental health problems (that we know about) and 3 out of 4 suicides are men. 

So for a thread like this to pop up on a gaming forum populated almost entirely by males is a good thing.

hmm I guess i must suffer from this a bit. sometimes i feel like i have a inferiority complex disorder, like somebody having a beautiful good wife, or being way more successful, makes me feel depressed, like why can't i have that. I meet girls regularly since i'm living in medellin now but i still haven't met the one i truly want, i guess i get randomly depressed.       

Around the Network

Well uhm ..... hmm .... I'm depressed.

Just felt like contributing to the thread!

spurgeonryan said:
JWeinCom said:

You're confusing depression with sadness.  Watching world news can make you sad or upset, but rarely truly depressed.

Sadness is a realistic reaction to something negative that has happened.  I.e. my dog died and I'll miss him, and I feel like crying.
Depression is a distorted reaction to something negative that has happened, usually involving negative thoughts targeted at oneself.  I.e. my dog died, and I'll never be happy again, and my dog was the only creature in the world that actually cared about me, and now I have no reason to live, and I'm worthless.
Or it could just be all that negative thinking without a dead dog or any actual trigger.

Something negative that has happened. So a large distorted reaction to bad world news. 

All I know is I have never been depressed. So I must be doing something right. I suggest not worrying about the dead dog. Like I said,  just don't care. I had a dog that I had for 12 years die. Didn't let it bother me. Loved that dog. 

Lucky you, but if you never been depressed, you will never understand, depression can come for any reason. even famous rich actors that have looks and wealth get depressed, and it could be over the silliest reasons, it's brain chemistry, and every brain is very different. 

I would recommend anybody suffering from depression and being lonely to travel to south america, your status will much higher here, and much easier to meet a descent good looking wife, just don't be the type of guy that if he loses his girl, or wife that wants to kill himself.

Last edited by quickrick - on 23 January 2018

Currently in a mild depression, it isn't as bad as it was last few months, when I had days where I couldn't eat or sleep, wake up too early, I also had episodes of crying that never existed before, and gastrointestinal problems resulting from worries.

Shit is crazy man, didn't expect it could happen to me but it did. You can't stop it from happening or taking your mind off it, I went to the gym etc, doesn't help.

TorterraBoy said:
Think it like this;
1) You’re depressed and you want to kill yourself, having suicidal thoughts,
2) Will you actually go to that limit at attempting to kill yourself? No, your body and your instinct will always prevent you from actually killing yourself.
3) So stop thinking about it. It worked for me.

Read the OP. This is not a place to give suggestions for emergency situations, we're not properly equipped to deal with that and it could lead to disastrous results here.

Around the Network

So, on Thursday I'm going back to the place I got therapy, after a year-long hiatus. Hopefully it turns out well, I really need to get back to going there or something in that vein since I have not had a great state of mind recently.

Last edited by VGPolyglot - on 23 January 2018

I'm going to leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhG6_VPsl4&list=PLTagxffHmpfSRPdJh1LeNEIyXSNkcc_I_

It's a vlog series from Little Kuriboh, a youtuber known for his comedy content. He talks about his depression, how he deals with it and the ups and downs of his daily life.
It's interesting because no one would've ever expected a guy like him, who makes comedy content for a living, struggle so much.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I often get sad for no reason, but never for more than an hour or so. I also can't stay mad at people. I guess I'm just lucky that my emotions change very quickly.

Btw, if you ever fell sad or down or depressed, remember that the internet is full of cat videos!

Ugh, it's pretty bad today unfortunately. I've got a headache, but I'm not sure how to deal with that.

To me the best way to get over depression is really to just work out, I know it's hard to get motivated but seriously the gym is an amazing place once you really get started.

Getting tired actually feels amazing, depression is really draining on the mind but once you start working out it really brings your spirits up. To me, working out is a cathartic experience, it feels like those negative emotions you once had basically just dissipates and escapes from your body.

I was a shut-in, I almost never went out, I stayed in and played games and watched a ton of anime, I felt like I had no purpose in life, it felt kinda pointless to me and I felt drained even though I rarely engaged in physical activity.

I started working out one day on some free trial thing and goddamn the first day felt amazing, I liked feeling tired, feeling the pain, it made me feel as if I was on this plane of existence, I was a lot happier and gaming actually felt fun, anime didn't feel like background noise.

Working out is amazing, it can get really hard to stay motivated and trust me sometimes I really didn't want to go but once you get in there and your adrenaline gets flowing, you feel alive and not as detached from life as I once was.