By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What is it going to take to restart the US Government after the shutdown, and what does it all mean?

spurgeonryan said:
I am not even sure it even makes sense. Sure the government is saving maybe some money. But what about all the money gained from these services.

Passports and other licenses for example. Probably costs them very little for somebody these services with high margins.

They aren't saving any money... they will expend at least the same amount (they'll pay back all the days unpaid), just won't have the workers working, like a paid leave.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Puppyroach said:
Gamer147 said:
I think this was a bad move by Democrats. Shutting government down hurts Americans.

How can is possible, ever be the fault of the opposition? It is up to the majority in the senate to find a way to compromise and reach the 60 votes. The issue here is that the GOP consist mostly of people that oppose the government, therefore they can´t govern.

They are taking credit for it. Republicans don't have 60 votes, they have 51. Dems want dacca or they won't vote

Blame both parties. Democrats for being hypocrites and trying to attach a DACA bill to funding the government (the GOP tried this with their own policy and failed miserably in 2013), and Republicans for rejecting the bipartisan agreement in the first place. In the end though, I suspect the Democrats were hurt more than the Republicans as a whole (GOP during better in generic ballot, but Trump's approvals lowered slightly).

Made a bet with LipeJJ and HylianYoshi that the XB1 will reach 30 million before Wii U reaches 15 million. Loser has to get avatar picked by winner for 6 months (or if I lose, either 6 months avatar control for both Lipe and Hylian, or my patrick avatar comes back forever).

Hiku said:
Gamer147 said:
I think this was a bad move by Democrats. Shutting government down hurts Americans.

Give me a break with the "Democrats" thing.

Who was it that chose to hold the issue of DACA, a widely bipartisan issue that would have easily been approved with an overwhelming majority of votes from both parties, as hostage to pay for the ridiculous wall that Trump promised Mexico will pay for?
That TV star shouldn't have made that ridiculous lie a major campaign promise in the first place. Let alone hold humanitarian bills that both parties majorly agree on as hostage for it.

The Republicans have the majority and don't need a single democratic vote on this, but even some Republicans can't get behind this inhumane hostage tactics, which is why they can't pass this.

Besides, the government doesn't appear to be shutting down as the Democrats seem to have caved: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vby8j9/senate-democrats-cave-on-daca-and-vote-to-reopen-the-government

^Seriously the fact that a bipartisan resolution collapsed is flatout embarrassing. Funny how Democrats are literally being blamed for everything when this was such a minor issue compared to the other problems the US has. Not as though we're wasting money on the military while we flip shit over a couple of immigrants. 

Aeolus451 said:
Puppyroach said:

How can is possible, ever be the fault of the opposition? It is up to the majority in the senate to find a way to compromise and reach the 60 votes. The issue here is that the GOP consist mostly of people that oppose the government, therefore they can´t govern.

They are taking credit for it. Republicans don't have 60 votes, they have 51. Dems want dacca or they won't vote

Exactly, they have the majority and should therefore approach the democrats and see how they could reach an agreement that would get some democrats to vote for the bill. Some even did, and some republicans voted against it. But if you are in the majority and can´t compromise, you are to blame, that´s basic politics.

Around the Network

Don't worry, what needs to happen will still happen.

This shutdown isn't a thing you should worry about.

The central banks, that's the government. And they want to change the world reserve currency. They want to move the standard to crypto, for a variety of reasons. Main one is that regulation with digital is a lot simpler. My opinion, is that the new coin standard is gonna be ACChain, which is a crypto from China.

Don't worry, as long as you don't go to war, or live in a war zone, everything will be ok..I think.

Haha the Democrats folded like a guy caught bluffing with a 7-2 offsuit. They showed their true colors in supporting illegal immigrants over their own fellow citizens, and it's gonna come back to bite them big time. A "clean" DACA bill was never going to happen, especially since DACA is yet another in a long line of Obama-era executive overreaches that have been either rolled-back or scrapped altogether under the Trump administration.

As for who gets the blame for this "blink and you missed it" shutdown, who cares? It'll be forgotten about by the end of the week. The federal government was shut down 3 times under Reagan, anybody remember that? And Carter and his own party couldn't agree on budgets 5 separate times before shutting down the government during a budget impasse became standard operating procedure in the early 80s.

I just hope the Democrats continue to run on amnesty for illegals right on up to the midterm elections, as it'll put a damper on that "blue wave" everyone is predicting as inevitable.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Hiku said:
Gamer147 said:

Give me a break with the "Democrats" thing.

Who was it that chose to hold the issue of CHIP, a widely bipartisan issue that would have easily been approved with an overwhelming majority of votes from both parties, as hostage to pay for the ridiculous wall that Trump promised Mexico will pay for?
That TV star shouldn't have made that ridiculous lie a major campaign promise in the first place. Let alone hold humanitarian bills that both parties majorly agree on as hostage for it.

The Republicans have the majority and don't need a single democratic vote on this, but even some Republicans can't get behind this inhumane hostage tactics, which is why they can't pass this.

Besides, the government doesn't appear to be shutting down as they seem to have cut a deal: https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/vby8j9/senate-democrats-cave-on-daca-and-vote-to-reopen-the-government

Dude, President Trump campaigned on ending Daca. So yes democrats is at fault for shutting down the government for demanding a Daca deal.

As they could not get a deal they filibuster the bill to keep the government open (they got over 50 votes a majority in the senate but not 60 required to override the filibuster).  So you just simply wrong not blaming the shutdown on the democrats. 

Why you talking about CHIP, the wall and mexico are just irrelevent in this discussion.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

barneystinson69 said:

Blame both parties. Democrats for being hypocrites and trying to attach a DACA bill to funding the government (the GOP tried this with their own policy and failed miserably in 2013), and Republicans for rejecting the bipartisan agreement in the first place. In the end though, I suspect the Democrats were hurt more than the Republicans as a whole (GOP during better in generic ballot, but Trump's approvals lowered slightly).

This happened because Trump torpedoed the first bipartisan plan before attempting to torpedo the GOP plan which actually made it through.  This didn't have to happen.  He asked congress to come up with a plan, they did, and then he shot it down.  Trump made it so that Republicans couldn't work out a deal with the dems.  

spurgeonryan said:
DonFerrari said:

They aren't saving any money... they will expend at least the same amount (they'll pay back all the days unpaid), just won't have the workers working, like a paid leave.

What's waste of time and money and drama and making people worry for nothing then. 

That much I surely agree.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."