By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What is it going to take to restart the US Government after the shutdown, and what does it all mean?

Nem said:
Gamer147 said:
I think this was a bad move by Democrats. Shutting government down hurts Americans.

First reply and it's already a bundle of nonsense. The governing body is the one that has to look for agreements, not the opposition.

It was a 50 to 49 vote. Not even every republican voted in favor, how can you possibly blame it on the dems?

Curious to hear your thoughts about the 2013 shutdown which was basically the exact same situation but with the political parties reversed... was the Obama administration in the wrong in that case then?

As for the main topic, government shutdowns mean basically enough and the average person will not be impacted by it in any meaningful way. Most people do not care about this because it really does mean nothing to them.

If only we could get a permanent government shutdown then we would all be better off ... all governments do is waste money, oppress people, and kill people and they are in general very good at all 3. 

Around the Network

The worst part is that this was first easy step where they would agree on and then have enough money till half february, the risk of a shutdown in february was higher than this weekend.

Secondly most shutdowns were short and ended up costing less than 100 million$.

But the last one did cost 20-50 billion$ and a another 0,6-0,9% growth slowdown of the economy.

A day or even 2 days basically means nothing but it is silly to have discussions about projects that cost 5-30$ billion while at the same time losing potentially a billion or 2 billlion$ a day.

Last edited by konnichiwa - on 21 January 2018

Blame the Dems. If they voted for the spending bill the government will be open.

DarthVolod said:
Nem said:

First reply and it's already a bundle of nonsense. The governing body is the one that has to look for agreements, not the opposition.

It was a 50 to 49 vote. Not even every republican voted in favor, how can you possibly blame it on the dems?

Curious to hear your thoughts about the 2013 shutdown which was basically the exact same situation but with the political parties reversed... was the Obama administration in the wrong in that case then?

As for the main topic, government shutdowns mean basically enough and the average person will not be impacted by it in any meaningful way. Most people do not care about this because it really does mean nothing to them.

If only we could get a permanent government shutdown then we would all be better off ... all governments do is waste money, oppress people, and kill people and they are in general very good at all 3. 

I say the same thing. The party in government is the one that has to look for agreements, NOT the other way around. No matter who is in power. If they can't do that it's because they can't govern very well.

Though the US system is terrible cause theres only 2 parties.

Expecting a vote any minute I expect the shutdown will end.

Around the Network

Are people really blaming only one side or the other? That's just plain silly.

The Senate voted to advance a bill that would reopen the federal government after a brief shutdown, as Democrats agreed to a short-term pause in their standoff with Republicans over immigration policy.

The vote was 81-18, easily passing the needed 60-vote threshold. Two Republicans joined 15 Democrats and one independent in opposing the measure.

Once the Senate passes the final bill with a simple majority, which is expected later today, the House is expected to follow up quickly and pass the same legislation. President Donald Trump would then sign the deal into law, ending a three-day shutdown that started Saturday.

One small detail: The bill would keep the government funded through Feb. 8.

I have had to work with my paycheck delayed ranging from 1 month to over 3 months during 2 years (always without any certainty that I would ever receive), let that sink in... and most of the federal workers will receive without working after the bill is approved, so the taxpayers are at even worse loss since they will pay for service not received.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Nem said:
DarthVolod said:

I say the same thing. The party in government is the one that has to look for agreements, NOT the other way around. No matter who is in power. If they can't do that it's because they can't govern very well.

Though the US system is terrible cause theres only 2 parties.

I credit you for consistency then. I still argue that government shutdowns are basically meaningless though. It didn't mean much in 2013 and it doesn't mean much in 2018.