By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - On a ten point review scale, what number should represent an average game?

What number should represent average on a ten point scale?

3 0 0%

4 2 1.63%

5 58 47.15%

6 38 30.89%

7 24 19.51%

8 1 0.81%

Total:123

Should be 5, but i agree the 10 point scale isn't very good.

Heck, you could even go with a 3 star system for "incompetent, fair and good).

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
Mnementh said:

Obvious it's not 100%, as other games hit 10/10 too. If each category is filled the same, than 10/10 means better than 90%. If you exclude the 10, you have a 9-point-scale instead.

We're just talking about not giving 10/10s, so if nothing gets a 10 then yes, it's 100% and it wound still be a 10 point scale a 10 would be the ceiling, and even if nothing gets that it would still be important in assessing games.

You and others seem to define intervals excluding endpoints:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(mathematics)#Including_or_excluding_endpoints

That would make sense, if we would use every possible number in this interval. For instance if a game would be reviewed with the score 6.74835445372. But that is not the case. In reality a finite number of possible score is handed out, making it an integer interval. And I cite:

"An integer interval that has a finite lower or upper endpoint always includes that endpoint."

That makes sense for integer intervals or intervals, because if you exclude on an 1-10 interval the one and ten, you just end up with an 2-9 interval. It's exactly the same. If you call a 2-9 interval an 1-10 interval but exclude the endpoints, you end up just confusing everyone.

But OK now, I understand that you talk about a 2-9 interval, just call it differently. Fine, whatever. I substitute in my head what you say and then I can agree. On a 2-9 the score 10 will never be dished out. That is acceptable.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
VGPolyglot said:

We're just talking about not giving 10/10s, so if nothing gets a 10 then yes, it's 100% and it wound still be a 10 point scale a 10 would be the ceiling, and even if nothing gets that it would still be important in assessing games.

You and others seem to define intervals excluding endpoints:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interval_(mathematics)#Including_or_excluding_endpoints

That would make sense, if we would use every possible number in this interval. For instance if a game would be reviewed with the score 6.74835445372. But that is not the case. In reality a finite number of possible score is handed out, making it an integer interval. And I cite:

"An integer interval that has a finite lower or upper endpoint always includes that endpoint."

That makes sense for integer intervals or intervals, because if you exclude on an 1-10 interval the one and ten, you just end up with an 2-9 interval. It's exactly the same. If you call a 2-9 interval an 1-10 interval but exclude the endpoints, you end up just confusing everyone.

But OK now, I understand that you talk about a 2-9 interval, just call it differently. Fine, whatever. I substitute in my head what you say and then I can agree. On a 2-9 the score 10 will never be dished out. That is acceptable.

I'm not talking about not handing out 10s as a hard rule, but rather as something in practise as games will always have issues.

5, because it's right in the middle. I don't think average is very good term, because it seems to imply a mathematical average (i.e. we added up all the game scores, and 6/10 is the average of games released this year).

I think a better description for 5 is mediocre.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

It should be a 5/6 imo but really anything below an 8 on Meta is usually not that good.

It would give a better perception of what a good game is and what a masterpiece is. Problem is many games like CoD and FIFA get an 85+ without really innovating or adding anything. This is problematic as it puts those games in the same level of games that innovate or are creative (with faults).

Around the Network

I'm fine with the 7 points being the average. I am used to it and it makes sense.

VAMatt said:
From 0 to 10, the middle number, 5, should be given for an average game. But, for this kind of thing to work, all games must be judged on the same scale. In other words, if crappy indy games can get a 5, then even a terrible AAA blockbuster will have to get a 9 or 10. So, we can't have any more of the "its good for what it is, so its gets a 7".

Wait, what?

Are you saying that Indie games shouldn't be able to score higher than AAA games?

RaptorChrist said:
VAMatt said:
From 0 to 10, the middle number, 5, should be given for an average game. But, for this kind of thing to work, all games must be judged on the same scale. In other words, if crappy indy games can get a 5, then even a terrible AAA blockbuster will have to get a 9 or 10. So, we can't have any more of the "its good for what it is, so its gets a 7".

Wait, what?

Are you saying that Indie games shouldn't be able to score higher than AAA games?

No.  I didn't say anything like that. 

Personally, an average score falls around a 6/10. Lower than that and I start to have concerns for the game. I don't think I would outright deny a game lower than a 6, but I'd do some research on the game before ultimately making a decision on whether to buy it or not... Although I do that with new games already. Nothing's change in that regard then, haha.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread