Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So I got Doom for christmas and here are my thoughts.

Spindel said:
bonzobanana said:
I don't agree with the criticism of multiplayer being a download with cartridges being expensive and multiplayer only being needed while the servers are available so keeping single player on the cartridge seemed the best compromise. Some other cartridges need downloads to play the main game even if single player and that to me is unacceptable as it means the game becomes obsolete and unusable at a future date when Switch support is no longer available. I hope most other publishers follow Bethesda's example.

Have the game on xbox one and enjoyed it, love the atmosphere but must admit did find it a bit repetitive after a while. It was great to have the fluidity of 60fps though which seems a novelty in the modern era of console games but I guess 30fps can still work well.

It’s a disgrace when I actually go physical to have to download parts of the base game. If you can’t fit your game on a cartrige go digital you fuck head developer. 

In this case we where told the MP would be a optional download. Which is OK with me since I have no interest in the MP. But the problem is that the download turned out to be impossible to opt out from when patching the game with regular patches. 

I can see your point about not having the option especially when the Switch has such little storage. Not a Switch owner yet myself but I assume the cartridge will always work for the single player version of the game even if not the latest version so unlike other Switch cartridges which have a built in termination date when they will be completely useless because you won't be able to download the missing parts of the game.



Around the Network
Snoopy said:
You go the Nintendo version so of course you're running into a lot of issues.

Yeah because Bethesda has never released a game that was buggy on the other consoles lol



Got the game on Switch as well, and it's a lot more than I expected it to be, gameplay and performance-wise. The performance actually surpassed my expectations. They did a really fantastic job at making the game feel smooth and fast-paced, even in 30fps. My mind was blown when I first saw the game running. To me, the 720p resolution wasn't that bad at all. It would dip below that every now and then to maintain the 30fps, but for the most part it was pretty steady. Graphics are a 10/10 in my book, especially in handheld mode. Seeing this game on the smaller screen was pretty awesome!

Overall, it's a very impressive port and i'm excited to see what Panic Button does with the port of Wolfenstein 2. Hopefully it'll be just as good, if not better! I mean, I would imagine they're a lot more familiar with Id's engine after porting Doom.



   

I've watched my oldest son play it a few times.  I'm certainly more impressed than disappointed.  We both wish it had IR controls though.

 

Snoopy said:
You go the Nintendo version so of course you're running into a lot of issues.

Well, you tried. Still failed but you tried.



Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

bonzobanana said:
Spindel said:

It’s a disgrace when I actually go physical to have to download parts of the base game. If you can’t fit your game on a cartrige go digital you fuck head developer. 

In this case we where told the MP would be a optional download. Which is OK with me since I have no interest in the MP. But the problem is that the download turned out to be impossible to opt out from when patching the game with regular patches. 

I can see your point about not having the option especially when the Switch has such little storage. Not a Switch owner yet myself but I assume the cartridge will always work for the single player version of the game even if not the latest version so unlike other Switch cartridges which have a built in termination date when they will be completely useless because you won't be able to download the missing parts of the game.

Personally I still have more than 100 GB of storgae space left so this isn’t an issue. Bit it’s the principle that I buy a game physically because I don’t want any installsother than potential bugfixes or extra content. It’s a console, not a damn PC.

 

If it hurts their profits so much increase the price and get a cartrige the right size. For me (and most of the switch demographic) the price of a game isn’t a real issue if it costs $75 instead of $60. The price of games is only an issue for teens.



Around the Network

I bought it day one and have no complaints. No bugs or framerate issues, but maybe that's because I am playing in the easiest setting. My only complaint was not having gyro controls like others have mentioned but I got used to the controls quite quickly after I adjusted them.



bonzobanana said:
Spindel said:

It’s a disgrace when I actually go physical to have to download parts of the base game. If you can’t fit your game on a cartrige go digital you fuck head developer. 

In this case we where told the MP would be a optional download. Which is OK with me since I have no interest in the MP. But the problem is that the download turned out to be impossible to opt out from when patching the game with regular patches. 

I can see your point about not having the option especially when the Switch has such little storage. Not a Switch owner yet myself but I assume the cartridge will always work for the single player version of the game even if not the latest version so unlike other Switch cartridges which have a built in termination date when they will be completely useless because you won't be able to download the missing parts of the game.

I but pretty much full Digital but I hate having that cloud lingering over my head, also. I know the day is coming where a lot of my purchases won't exist anymore but I've made peace with the idea. I'll just enjoy what I have while I can but it's sad that one day, there will be experiences that gave so many people so much joy and then *poof* never again.



mZuzek loves to pre-order

Ultravolt said: 

Overall, it's a very impressive port and i'm excited to see what Panic Button does with the port of Wolfenstein 2. Hopefully it'll be just as good, if not better! I mean, I would imagine they're a lot more familiar with Id's engine after porting Doom.

Yeah I'm keen to see how Wolfenstein turns out also; it's a more demanding game than Doom, but hopefully PB's greater experience with both the engine and the hardware will help to balance that out. If it's as solid a port as Doom is, I'm getting it day 1.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series X will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

curl-6 said:
Ultravolt said: 

Overall, it's a very impressive port and i'm excited to see what Panic Button does with the port of Wolfenstein 2. Hopefully it'll be just as good, if not better! I mean, I would imagine they're a lot more familiar with Id's engine after porting Doom.

Yeah I'm keen to see how Wolfenstein turns out also; it's a more demanding game than Doom, but hopefully PB's greater experience with both the engine and the hardware will help to balance that out. If it's as solid a port as Doom is, I'm getting it day 1.

Yeah, I completely agree. I'm still waiting for that release date announcement, though.



   

OK so stupid me for not doing this earlier.

I went to video settings and turned off Motion Blur and chromatic aberration and lo and behold the game becomes much less blurry when playing.

So this is the tip of the day.


On the topic of chromatic aberration. This is a really stupid effect that a lot of games nowdays put in for no reason.
Why do you want an unwanted effect from a camera lens in your game? This is like lens flare that plagued a lot of games in the late 90-ies.
In an FPS you are looking through the eyes of someone else, and my eyes shure as hell does not have nither of chromatic aberration nor lens flare.