By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So I got Doom for christmas and here are my thoughts.

I don't agree with the criticism of multiplayer being a download with cartridges being expensive and multiplayer only being needed while the servers are available so keeping single player on the cartridge seemed the best compromise. Some other cartridges need downloads to play the main game even if single player and that to me is unacceptable as it means the game becomes obsolete and unusable at a future date when Switch support is no longer available. I hope most other publishers follow Bethesda's example.

Have the game on xbox one and enjoyed it, love the atmosphere but must admit did find it a bit repetitive after a while. It was great to have the fluidity of 60fps though which seems a novelty in the modern era of console games but I guess 30fps can still work well.

Around the Network
bonzobanana said:
I don't agree with the criticism of multiplayer being a download with cartridges being expensive and multiplayer only being needed while the servers are available so keeping single player on the cartridge seemed the best compromise. Some other cartridges need downloads to play the main game even if single player and that to me is unacceptable as it means the game becomes obsolete and unusable at a future date when Switch support is no longer available. I hope most other publishers follow Bethesda's example.

Have the game on xbox one and enjoyed it, love the atmosphere but must admit did find it a bit repetitive after a while. It was great to have the fluidity of 60fps though which seems a novelty in the modern era of console games but I guess 30fps can still work well.

It’s a disgrace when I actually go physical to have to download parts of the base game. If you can’t fit your game on a cartrige go digital you fuck head developer. 

In this case we where told the MP would be a optional download. Which is OK with me since I have no interest in the MP. But the problem is that the download turned out to be impossible to opt out from when patching the game with regular patches. 

Spindel said: 

If you can’t fit your game on a cartrige go digital you fuck head developer.

And lost a lot of sales in the process? Most people still prefer physical, especially on Nintendo platforms and if the game is big. But I agree that optional downloads should really be optional :P

"lupus in fabula, venit enim ad me."

Translation: I will always hate Fox for canceling The Exorcist.

While it may not be as visually polished as titles built from the ground up for the system like Odyssey and Kingdom Battle, I still reckon Doom is the most technically impressive Switch game to date; seeing a high end PS4/Xbone game running on a handheld is freaking nuts. I mean sure, it takes a graphical hit to get there, but I haven't seen anything else like it on mobile hardware.

I've really enjoyed it on the Switch. It's blurry, but still looks great on a 120" screen, and the same res looks fantastic in handheld mode.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network

I agree with this, love it.

Gotta say though, the multiplayer being the only part of the base game being downloaded let me baffled as well when I saw that the SP game would not run until AFTER it was installed. Kinda dropped the ball on that if you ask me.

But still it is a great port and a fantastic game. I highly recommend this to any Switch owner looking for some fast paced FPS action.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

I like Doom... but can't lie the first time I loaded it up, I encountered a bug on the menu screen to get to the game's title screen.

Yet despite that and other issues, the game is very good and loads of fun.

Bought it on day one, myself. While I readily admit a few Switch ports have been let downs, this wasn't one of them. It was awesome! 

Zach808 said:
I wouldn't go so far as to say I can't tell the difference between this game being 30 or 60, but it definitely feels playable by console standards. It's not like PUBG on Xbox where the framerate tanks for long periods of time. Just has a drop every now and then. Probably the most impressive thing I've played on a handheld to date.

In Xbox' defense (which I like never do, since I'm a Nintendo guy), PUBG has framerate issues on my 980 ti GTX card. Some games just aren't optimized correctly (*cough Arkham Knight*) due to either laziness or small dev team.

Spindel said:
bonzobanana said:

It’s a disgrace when I actually go physical to have to download parts of the base game. If you can’t fit your game on a cartrige go digital you fuck head developer. 

In this case we where told the MP would be a optional download. Which is OK with me since I have no interest in the MP. But the problem is that the download turned out to be impossible to opt out from when patching the game with regular patches. 

I can see your point about not having the option especially when the Switch has such little storage. Not a Switch owner yet myself but I assume the cartridge will always work for the single player version of the game even if not the latest version so unlike other Switch cartridges which have a built in termination date when they will be completely useless because you won't be able to download the missing parts of the game.