By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Fact: Celsius is better than Fahrenheit

Celsius is better for science, where large values are more common.

Fahrenheit is better for daily use for the weather, because the scale from freezing to boiling is 180 units, as opposed to Celsius' 100 units. Fahrenheit allows for more accurate weather readings with only integers.

Around the Network
Vini256 said:

DD/MM/YY makes way more sense than MM/DD/YY, I always mix up the dates when looking at the latter.

Best: 

YYYY/MM/DD

Also lets you add arbitrary precision, on the right.

YYYY/MM/DD/HH/MiMi/etc..

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Teeqoz said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Yeah but.... Kelvin is even better!

Yup. The way the universe works (physics) is dependent on temperature above absolute zero, not some arbitrary starting point like the freezing point of water at atmospheric pressure at sea level of the earth, nor the temperature of an equal mix of ice, water and ammonium chloride.

Ehem. Negative temperatures exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

OT: Thermodynamic beta FTW.

Medisti said:
Celsius is better for science, where large values are more common.

Fahrenheit is better for daily use for the weather, because the scale from freezing to boiling is 180 units, as opposed to Celsius' 100 units. Fahrenheit allows for more accurate weather readings with only integers.

You can do thousand units on celcius. You know..10.0, 10.1,...,10.9 and so on.

Real numbers for president.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

I much prefer Metric because it seems more logical based on how people are taught in general and decimal is easier than fractions. Growing up in Canada it was like half and half, which made it harder to learn, plus most parents were used to Imperial. Temperature in Celsius in terms of 0 being freezing, little to no movement, little to no growth, and even death, makes way too much sense, and minus temps make it even easier to understand the hazard of the cold. Tool sizes are also so much easier using millimeters instead of inches. Once you've learned one or the other it's no big deal, but trying to change to the other after time makes it more difficult. I found learning the Metric stuff I didn't know was easier than learning Imperial. Waiting on USB to either accept Metric or create their own universal measuring standards. DD/MM/YY.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Yeah but.... Kelvin is even better!

Worst Star Trek timeline.

There's a reason every single country but 3 uses Celcius/ metric.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

Nymeria said:
I agree on metric measurements and dating above, but from a human perspective discussing the weather I like a system of 0 to 100 that is based on comfort. In science I agree Celsius makes far more sense.

Below 0 (Really cold)
0-20 (Cold)
21-40 (Cool)
41-60 (Moderate)
61-80 (Warm)
81-100 (Hot)
Above 100 (Really Hot)

I think 81-90 degrees Fahrenheit is very warm not hot.  Of course once you get above 60 degrees Fahrenheit how warm or hot is really feels is also determined by how humid it is. 

Player2 said:
Teeqoz said:

Yup. The way the universe works (physics) is dependent on temperature above absolute zero, not some arbitrary starting point like the freezing point of water at atmospheric pressure at sea level of the earth, nor the temperature of an equal mix of ice, water and ammonium chloride.

Ehem. Negative temperatures exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

OT: Thermodynamic beta FTW.

Yes, but it's a concept that is quite different from what we normally call temperature. To quote the wikipedia page "A substance with a negative temperature is not colder than absolute zero, but rather it is hotter than infinite temperature".

For something to literally be colder than absolute zero, it would require particles to have negative kinetic energy, as at absolute zero, particles (theoretically) only have zero point energy.

Kelvin > Celsius > Farenheit.
Metric >>>>> Imperial

Writing a date the most logical way is day-month-year

Does any sane person doubt this?

I LOVE ICELAND!