By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Fact: Celsius is better than Fahrenheit

ZS said:
NightDragon83 said:
Celsius is good for scientific uses, but for practical / everyday life Fahrenheit is much more useful measurement of temperature for weather / cooking purposes etc.

When we hear that it's 30 degrees out, we know to wear a coat, not shorts.

When we bake, we know to set the oven at 350, not 176.667.

As an Australian, Fahrenheit is useless, we follow Celsius for everything, 

30 degrees means it’s short/bikini r/beach weather

220 degrees will bring us a great pie to devour with our cold beers that ranges from 0-3/4 degrees, maybe even in the minus range if you want an ice cold beer. 

Anything under 15-20 degrees depending on where you live results in most people wearing winter clothes and a “fuck mate I’m freezing my balls off” 

anything under 0 degrees you’re either in a cold part of Australia or in the wrong country. 

Oh austrailia and your nice weather. 

Its more like 20-25 is indoor temp, 25+ is light clothes (aka summer night temp), 30+ is swimwear.

While 20~15 is long clothes, 15~10 is additional layer like a jacket, below 10 is a light coat, under freezing is thick clothes. Under -10 is pack addtional layers inside.

As a korean who expirences all temperatures from 35 to -15 I feel this is more accurate.

That said, Fahrenheit has a much more human feel to it. It doesn't take as much time to learn Fahrenheit compared to celcius if you are going by your senses alone, cause the feeling rages ate devided by 20 degrees.

Around the Network

Eh. On it's own, it's not really that different. It feels more intuitive to me, but that's about it. When you take the surrounding environment into account, it trumps fahrenheit though. That's simply because the conversions between Kelvins and degrees Celsius is simpler, and temperature differences are equal in both Kelvins and degrees Celsius.

Medisti said:
Celsius is better for science, where large values are more common.

Fahrenheit is better for daily use for the weather, because the scale from freezing to boiling is 180 units, as opposed to Celsius' 100 units. Fahrenheit allows for more accurate weather readings with only integers.

Scientists use powers of ten and corresponding SI prefixes anyway, so the ranges don't really matter. Besides, the Kelvin scale is even better for science. It just happens (well, probably by design really) that for temperature differences, it doesn't better whether you use Kelvin or Celcius because the difference is always the same.

Also, the only occasion where I've ever needed decimals for Celsius in everyday life are body temperatures, for which you would probably need decimals even with Fahrenheit. Literally everything else works just fine with integers.

KungKras said:
Kelvin > Celsius > Farenheit.
Metric >>>>> Imperial

Writing a date the most logical way is day-month-year

Does any sane person doubt this?

The most logical way to write a date is definitely year-month-day. Does any sane person doubt this?

I personally like Celsius more, since it's easier to spell :p

Conversion is annoying since they aren't 1:1 either :/

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

I agree, Fahrenheit wasn't that good of a game..

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Vini256 said:

DD/MM/YY makes way more sense than MM/DD/YY, I always mix up the dates when looking at the latter.

^ this too.

Going from small -> big makes more sense imo.

The reason I think the month is first in some places is because when people speak we usually say, for example, “December 22nd 2017” not “22nd of December 2017”

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Yep. Celsius makes more sense than Fahrenheit, meter makes more sense than foot and DDMMYY makes more sense MMDDYY. We just make more sense.

Surprised no one posted this one yet....

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Teeqoz said:
Player2 said:

Ehem. Negative temperatures exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_temperature

OT: Thermodynamic beta FTW.

Yes, but it's a concept that is quite different from what we normally call temperature. To quote the wikipedia page "A substance with a negative temperature is not colder than absolute zero, but rather it is hotter than infinite temperature".

For something to literally be colder than absolute zero, it would require particles to have negative kinetic energy, as at absolute zero, particles (theoretically) only have zero point energy.

I know, I was talking from a strictly numerical standpoint.

Paatar said:
JRPGfan said:

^ this too.

Going from small -> big makes more sense imo.

The reason I think the month is first in some places is because when people speak we usually say, for example, “December 22nd 2017” not “22nd of December 2017”

In danish we say the date before the month too in speech.