By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console gamers, why do you feel console gaming is better than PC?

BasilZero said:

Sounds like you got yourself a bad/weak PC or something for a setup that is from two years ago.

My 2010 Pre-built HP Pavilion with a HD Radeon 7850 2GB card I put in it back in 2012 ran Ori Definitive edition at 1080p/60 FPS - it autodetected my setup and autoconfigured the game at max resolution. It downloaded with the patches included like I expected it to.

Bear in mind I could probably play it a higher resolution if I had a higher resolution monitor.

I also played it with my PS4 controller and even though the Xbox prompts are there, the set up of the controllers are pretty much similar so I configured my DS4 settings the same way a Xbox360 controller is set up....last year so it retained the settings I configured so long ago automatically. Plug and play, didnt even bother with the settings - since the game autoconfigured to the maximum settings just the way I want it to be.

SvennoJ said:

Windows has far more updates than consoles. In my experience moving my desktop to my projector it usually wanted to finish installing updates first on shut down. Then an even more lengthy configuring updates when starting it back up at my projector. The whole process could take 10-15 minutes. Booting up takes far longer as well. Windows might appear fast, yet before it's all done with all the background crap another 5 minutes has passed.

So I switched to a gaming laptop, don't have to turn that off and restart. However that's even more awkward to put before the tv. Plus before I had a 1080p laptop the resizing between tv and laptop always screwed up my desktop layout.

I could of course buy a small form factor PC to fit nicely under the tv, except I call that a ps4, it does all I want.

Windows has far more updates because the updates arent primarily just for gaming, but for security, configuration and setup of several other aspects in the OS such as the Registry, Microsoft Office, and various other applications and drivers that are on your PC.

You also do have the choice of choosing to install updates at your own leisure rather than automatically updating - you can also choose which update to install and choose to opt out unlike on consoles which is mandatory unless you want to be locked out of certain applications such as PSN+/online MP.

There's also resolution settings where you can duplicate your desktop to your TV or projector that way the icons and applications on the display/desktop wont re-arrange themselves or go off awkwardly. 

Its also possible to expand the screen to your TV or projector, that way you can do or check on something on your PC while playing a game or something on your TV.

I personally have my Sony Bravia HDTV to be my primary screen while my laptop screen goes off.

IT 101 of course.

It's a laptop with mobile gpu ofcourse, gt 740m, 2.4 ghz i7 4700 MQ with 16 GB ram.

I use these settings

It generally runs smooth, yet when I go too fast or get into a fight the frame rate has severe gameplay crippling dips. I can deal with low fps, but not when it swings wildly between 15 and 30+

I just plug the hdmi cable in the console and it works, convenience 101 really ;)

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 11 November 2017

Around the Network

While I'm firmly a console gamer now, I have dabbled in PC gaming; when I was growing up and lived at home, I sunk a ridiculous amount of hours into the original Age of Empires on the family computer. Then when I was at University I used to play stuff like COD and DOTA with my dorm mates.

Since 2011 I switched over to laptops for convenience, since I was always relocating between my dorm and the family home on holidays, and I just never really got back into it after that.

Intrinsic said:
Pemalite said:

Except we are playing games at higher framerates with better visuals and it can be a vastly more immersive experience.
Sorry you feel threatened by that.

Feel threatened by that? You should read what I said again.

I couldn't care less how much better or immersive your experience is. The point I was making... and thanks for proving it for me again..... is that there i feel theer is something wrong with anyone (not just PC gamers; there are console gamers that do it too when comparing how much better their pixels looks to another consoles) who feels the need or desire or even thinks in a way that suggests that simply because they are gaming at a higher framerate or resolution there is something wrong with anyone that isn't. Or that that somehow makes them better gamers.

I am sorry you feel that way.
But it doesn't change the fact that better framerates and visuals are found on the PC, you can't deny it.
It's a selling point of the PC. - No point whinging about it when someone mentions it, it's a fact.

Cerebralbore101 said:

Vita has more games than any other handheld in existence. Being backwards compatible with decades worth of games, and being able to run games on other handhelds has ensured such a thing. 

The Vita has more games than DS, 3DS, GBA, GB, Lynx, Game Gear, and WonderSwan.... Combined. We can even throw SNES, Genesis, and NES in there too for good measure. 

Why then has the 3DS outsold the Vita by a laughable number? Because people care about what new and modern games are coming out, much more than they care about the ability to play older games. People also care about quality of games as opposed to quantity. 

Nice word play. But no.

SvennoJ said:

Windows has far more updates than consoles. In my experience moving my desktop to my projector it usually wanted to finish installing updates first on shut down. Then an even more lengthy configuring updates when starting it back up at my projector. The whole process could take 10-15 minutes. Booting up takes far longer as well. Windows might appear fast, yet before it's all done with all the background crap another 5 minutes has passed.

I don't think I have updated my copy of Windows 7 in over a year now.
Nor am I forced to perform such updates, nor do updates prevent me from playing online.

The Xbox One seems to have a new OS update on a monthly basis. (Aka. Everytime I turn the thing on.)
And if you don't do said updates, you are placed into offline mode.

* Boot times are far faster on my PC than on my Xbox One X.
SSD's are stupidly fast these days, it literally takes a couple of seconds and I am on the desktop with everything loaded, perhaps try using a modern PC? ;)

SvennoJ said:

I could of course buy a small form factor PC to fit nicely under the tv, except I call that a ps4, it does all I want.

That's fine. Their are Pro's and Con's to each approach.
The Playstation 4 for instance doesn't play Audio CD's or 4k Blu-ray, so could never be a replacement for a real HTPC in my lounge room set-up. (Ignoring the fact it's codec support is atrocious as well.)
The Xbox One is a better HTPC center than the Playstation 4, but it's limited in the way it handles transcoding and my NAS, not to mention... Also bad codec support.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

I like a controlled fixed system. I like different controllers. I like that it's still primarily physical. Hardware is cheaper than a PC and will always be compatible with the games I buy. I like to collect them and collect for them. Nintendo and SEGA put a lot of their own personalities in the hardware. Don't see that with MS or Sony (even tho I love some of their systems). I just lost interest playing a game on PC. I almost never use Steam.

Miguel_Zorro said:

- I like to play on couch and TV and as we all know console gaming is the only way to do that. 

- Console controllers are better

That's not entirely true. You can get smaller form factor PC's which can fit into TV shelves. Which also supports Xbox One/DS4 controller which can be connected wireless or wired.

You can also set Steam to run in big picture mode as soon as you power on, so you have the UI open up and log in; negating the need for keyboard and mouse.

There's also another option, where you could potentially play in multiple rooms - with SteamLink/Nvidia shield. Which allows you to streams from your PC to your box - like a set top box.

For me, consoles are mostly for exclusives and social aspect of it.. Playing multiplayer with friends/family.

Last edited by hinch - on 11 November 2017

Around the Network

Well console gaming is cheaper it's easier doesn't have high requirements like PC gaming but ultimately I'm a still be a PC Master race Sony PlayStation king of all consoles and Nintendo Legend of all consoles for life end of discussion nothing to talk about that's it

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
Well console gaming is cheaper it's easier doesn't have high requirements like PC gaming but ultimately I'm a still be a PC Master race Sony PlayStation king of all consoles and Nintendo Legend of all consoles for life end of discussion nothing to talk about that's it

I love this comment It made me laugh!

My gaming time is scarce (and therefore too precious) to be spent on shopping for PC parts, building, setting, doing maintenance, troubleshooting, dealing with specs and gfx settings etc, and the worst of all, playing with two devices
meant for non-gaming applications.

I'm firmly in the PC gaming camp (if consoles didn't have exclusives i wouldn't bother with them at all), but i can appreciate the simplicity of console gaming. While consoles have become more complex over time, there's still a weird sort of freedom in its lack of choice. Not just in buying one (plug in, update, ta-da), but when i stick a game in a console i know exactly what i'm getting, and my lack of power over it makes it easier for me to accept when it does stuff i dislike (e.g. bad image quality).

PC gaming can be almost as simple as console gaming if you want it to be, but if you're like me and want the optimal experience it can often become a bit of a mess. Especially if you travel through most of London and towards the coast to help a friend build their PC, and then a few months later their fucking fuck of a piece of shit motherfuckboard fails so you have to spend another 5 hours there and back on 10,000 different trains (who built this stupid ass spaghetti country?) again so you can disassemble half the fucking thing just so you can put it all back the fuck together again. God damn your PC Kieran

Still, my frustrations with PC gaming are entirely self imposed. Once it's built, and I've spent the 30 - 60~ minutes per new game fiddling with settings, the experience is fantastic. Every so often you run into stuff like driver problems, screen tearing, etc, but issues like that are quite rare for me.

You know what's better than playing wizard poker on your phone? Playing wizard poker in 4k. That's what i call hardware value.

If the question was "Why do you prefer console gaming", it's basically a mixture of convenience and necessity. The plug n' play aspect of consoles has always felt more appealing to me, the less tinkering I have to do to get my game started, the better. I can see why better hardware would be nicer, but I honestly don't think I've ever reached a point where I thought "dang it...I wish I had a gaming PC so I could play that game." It would be nice if it I was already in a position with that hardware...but as it stands now, I see zero motivation to move into a PC gaming ecosystem. Particularly when Sony and Nintendo hardware are a given for me anyway, seeing as how these platforms tend to have exclusives I want.

Regarding the actual thread topic...I don't think it really applies to me since I don't pretend to think one is better than the other, just that console gaming suits my gaming needs more adequately.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334