By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console gamers, why do you feel console gaming is better than PC?

Cerebralbore101 said:

Damn. I just assumed that 90% of PS3 games were already playable on PC. It's been over eleven years since the PS3 launched. 

Well, 90% of the PS3 library is already playable on PC... the PC versions of all the PS3-multiplatform games. Most of them in much better quality than on PS3.

Around the Network
Conina said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Damn. I just assumed that 90% of PS3 games were already playable on PC. It's been over eleven years since the PS3 launched. 

Well, 90% of the PS3 library is already playable on PC... the PC versions of all the PS3-multiplatform games. Most of them in much better quality than on PS3.

Ha! Point taken, but you know what I meant. :D

Easier. Cheaper. Don't have to sit at a PC (do that at work all day). Better for having friends over. Nintendo games.

Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

Windows has far more updates than consoles. In my experience moving my desktop to my projector it usually wanted to finish installing updates first on shut down. Then an even more lengthy configuring updates when starting it back up at my projector. The whole process could take 10-15 minutes. Booting up takes far longer as well. Windows might appear fast, yet before it's all done with all the background crap another 5 minutes has passed.

I don't think I have updated my copy of Windows 7 in over a year now.
Nor am I forced to perform such updates, nor do updates prevent me from playing online.

The Xbox One seems to have a new OS update on a monthly basis. (Aka. Everytime I turn the thing on.)
And if you don't do said updates, you are placed into offline mode.

* Boot times are far faster on my PC than on my Xbox One X.
SSD's are stupidly fast these days, it literally takes a couple of seconds and I am on the desktop with everything loaded, perhaps try using a modern PC? ;)

SvennoJ said:

I could of course buy a small form factor PC to fit nicely under the tv, except I call that a ps4, it does all I want.

That's fine. Their are Pro's and Con's to each approach.
The Playstation 4 for instance doesn't play Audio CD's or 4k Blu-ray, so could never be a replacement for a real HTPC in my lounge room set-up. (Ignoring the fact it's codec support is atrocious as well.)
The Xbox One is a better HTPC center than the Playstation 4, but it's limited in the way it handles transcoding and my NAS, not to mention... Also bad codec support.

I still have my dvd player hooked up for CDs, no need to change the disc out and can listen to it while playing disc based games, easier. I've never used HTPC center, whatever that means, blu-ray and netflix fill my needs, simplicity and convenience. 4K blu-ray isn't worth the premium price tag for me, I'm happy with my 500 odd blu-ray collection and will continue to buy on that format. The jump isn't big enough, plus I prefer to watch movies on a projector and can't afford a native 4K projector, not can they project HDR anyway.

I'm not looking for extra stuff I could be doing, I just look at what's the most convenient way to do the things I want to do. PC just isn't it. I guess XBox One isn't it either with its long boot times and frequent patches.

SvennoJ said:

I still have my dvd player hooked up for CDs, no need to change the disc out and can listen to it while playing disc based games, easier. I've never used HTPC center, whatever that means, blu-ray and netflix fill my needs, simplicity and convenience. 4K blu-ray isn't worth the premium price tag for me, I'm happy with my 500 odd blu-ray collection and will continue to buy on that format. The jump isn't big enough, plus I prefer to watch movies on a projector and can't afford a native 4K projector, not can they project HDR anyway.

I'm not looking for extra stuff I could be doing, I just look at what's the most convenient way to do the things I want to do. PC just isn't it. I guess XBox One isn't it either with its long boot times and frequent patches.

HTPC = Home Theater Personal Computer. If you want the best, that is the best.
I have had a NAS since what feels like decades, currently it has 24 Terabytes of storage. (Soon 30 Terabytes consisting of 6TB WD Reds.)

When the Xbox 360 first came along in 2005~ I picked one up in early 2006... The console was limited in it's media capabilities. (I.E. Unable to watch 1080P .MKV files.)
So... To get around that... I would stream video's from my NAS, have my PC transcode them and then share them over the network to the Xbox 360.

It was not ideal.
The Xbox One doesn't do enough to radically change that situation either.

Enter the HTPC. Instead of having to use my main PC as a video server... The HTPC handles it all on it's own with a fraction of the power... And a UI suited to large media library's. (Unlike the consoles.)
It also has multiple external disk drives so I can play the music from multiple CD's at the same time, jump between tracks and so on between different discs. (I.E. Listen to Song 5 on Disc 1, then jump to Song 11 on Disc 3, then jump to Song 2 on Disc 2.)
It can do 4k Blu-Ray.
It's GPU also has a far superior video block which not only supports more video standards, but also has superior image quality.
Audio is also in another league entirely thanks to the external DAC and AMP.

Fact of the matter is, for a power user like myself... Consoles are a nightmare for massive media library's.

As for the DVD player... Well. I really don't want old, archaic equipment. - Nor should such a thing be required if you own a console or HTPC anyway.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
SvennoJ said:

HTPC = Home Theater Personal Computer. If you want the best, that is the best.
I have had a NAS since what feels like decades, currently it has 24 Terabytes of storage. (Soon 30 Terabytes consisting of 6TB WD Reds.)

When the Xbox 360 first came along in 2005~ I picked one up in early 2006... The console was limited in it's media capabilities. (I.E. Unable to watch 1080P .MKV files.)
So... To get around that... I would stream video's from my NAS, have my PC transcode them and then share them over the network to the Xbox 360.

It was not ideal.
The Xbox One doesn't do enough to radically change that situation either.

Enter the HTPC. Instead of having to use my main PC as a video server... The HTPC handles it all on it's own with a fraction of the power... And a UI suited to large media library's. (Unlike the consoles.)
It also has multiple external disk drives so I can play the music from multiple CD's at the same time, jump between tracks and so on between different discs. (I.E. Listen to Song 5 on Disc 1, then jump to Song 11 on Disc 3, then jump to Song 2 on Disc 2.)
It can do 4k Blu-Ray.
It's GPU also has a far superior video block which not only supports more video standards, but also has superior image quality.
Audio is also in another league entirely thanks to the external DAC and AMP.

Fact of the matter is, for a power user like myself... Consoles are a nightmare for massive media library's.

As for the DVD player... Well. I really don't want old, archaic equipment. - Nor should such a thing be required if you own a console or HTPC anyway.

This is my media center:

Over 500 Blu-rays that's about 24 Terabytes as well. Add games and equally large DVD collection plus some CDs.
Console works fine with a massive media center :)

Because:

A lot of great exclusives available only on consoles (for xbone is not the case anymore)
* I like playing on a big tv
* It's much more easy and comfortable, you just push a button on the gamepad and start playing
* You don't have to worry if the game will run or not, you just buy it and play it
* Fewer cheaters on-line
* Great local co-op (sport / fighting games)
* I prefer the gamepad, lying on a big couch

Last edited by Jenea1992 - on 13 November 2017

Can someone explain this whole "I sit at a desk with a PC, so it feels like work" mentality to me? I work a desk job too, and when I get home, I'm too immersed in my games to notice what I'm playing them on, barring any obvious discomfort.

Ease of use. Period.

SvennoJ said:

This is my media center:

Over 500 Blu-rays that's about 24 Terabytes as well. Add games and equally large DVD collection plus some CDs.
Console works fine with a massive media center :)

Impressive Star Fox. Although. That's not a media center, that's a media collection. Haha
Although I could give that a run for it's money. ;)

The point of a HTPC though is so you don't have to get up and put disks in, you have already dumped them and turned them into digital copies. (Legal in countries like Australia where we are allowed to make personal copies of media and software.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--