By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread: The Greatest Games Event 2017 - FINISH YOUR LISTS

Mnementh said:

game #32

Hint 1: Why does the earth rumble?

Hint 2: I make a hat out of my defeated enemies!

Hint 3: The city at the edge of the desert is replaced by a port town in the remake.

Hint 4: Something Devilish can turn up unexpectedly in other battles.

Hint 5: Cha-Cha or Kayamba?

Hunt 6!

Hint 7: The franchise for this games makes people on the internet angry each time it switches the platform. With this game it switched with the original AND the remake to Nintendo.

Hint 8: Really? No one got it yet? Well in this series you go on a hunt and meet Monsters.

Monster Hunter 4

Around the Network

Assassin's Creed II
Previous Year: #30

After the promising, but repetitive original, Assassin's Creed II finally sold me on the potential of this series, vastly improving on the first game on nearly all aspects. The gameplay was more fluid and varied, the story better written, and the main character a genuinely interesting person who we would see grow over the course of three games. This is the point where the series was at its best because it wasn't yet saddled with a countless little pointless gimmicks that began to infest the later games. Just an all-around excellent game.

Super Metroid
Previous Year: New

I played through this game for the first time ever earlier this year, and it immediately jumped into my top 50. The sense of isolation and dread the developers managed to pull out of the SNES hardware is impressive, and the game's world in general is a genuine pleasure to discover. It just feels like there's always something new and exciting waiting behind the next locked door, and finding the way to unlock that new area is always a joy. One of the SNES's best.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
Previous Year: #9

Somewhat similar to AC II, Uncharted 2 took the basic idea of the first game and improved upon it on every possible front, and in doing so created one of the best games of its kind ever made. The first game, while still fun, felt clumsy and not fully realized, but the sequel is where Naughty Dog found their groove. The story was better, the gameplay much more engaging, the graphics absolutely stunning for their time, and unlike the third game which sometimes felt like just a series of disconnected setpieces, UC2 always seemed to have a logical build-up to the eventual climax, which considering some of the insanity of the game is quite the achievement. 

Hints for the next three games:

#32: If you want, you can beat the game's final boss almost at the very beginning of this game.

#31: The Legend of Zelda in ancient Japan with watercolours.

#30: The one where Sonic and Mario came together to literally beat each other up.

There. Posted my list already. No one wants to guess them, so there.

Mnementh said:

game #32

Hint 3: The city at the edge of the desert is replaced by a port town in the remake.

Hunt 6!

Hint 7: The franchise for this games makes people on the internet angry each time it switches the platform. With this game it switched with the original AND the remake to Nintendo.

Hint 8: Really? No one got it yet? Well in this series you go on a hunt and meet Monsters.

game #31

Hint 1: Each hour think about what you've achieved.

Hint 2: Can your current job lead you to discover the events that lead to your removal from police service a few years ago?

game #30

Hint 1: Play the rebel army. Not one rebel, the rebel army.

Hint 2: No, not Star Wars.

Hint 3: Press everything out of your captured enemies - even personal stats.

game #29

Hint 1: Everything land or everything water, which is too much?

Hint 2: The wise tree leading you in this game is Birch.

game #28

Hint 1: The original game played in a Villa.

Hint 2: Do you want to pick locks or take more damage?

game #27

Hint 1: This mash-up between two franchises let's you single-handedly defeat hordes of enemies, while for some big monsters you may need the help of certain items.

Guessed correctly by LiquidLaser: Hyrule Warriors.

#29 is Pokemon RSE

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

• Sony PlayStation 3
  • Rhythm
  • Neversoft

This game sparked a big addiction that dominated much of the early 7th Generation of video games for me. I lived and breathed Guitar Hero for a while, until later releases began to lack in their soundtracks. Because these games live or die by them and luckily enough, the game that got me into the franchise, 'Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock', had one of the best.

With a plastic guitar shaped controller, the objective is to play the songs according to the button combinations that appear on screen. There's a strum-button, and five "frets" which have to be pressed in certain combinations, more or less following the actions guitar players would perform while playing these songs in reality. Not really of course, but if feels like it's close enough and that was the big appeal. Completing one of the harder songs in one of the harder difficulties made you feel cool. A nerdy cool, that was never actually cool, but cool nonetheless.

The songs are all real, well known songs, and due to them being in line with my usual preference for music, it fit well with me. 'Guitar Hero III' and 'Guitar Hero: Metallica' mostly contain hard rock and metal songs, which were more fun to play than the large amount of pop songs of 'Guitar Hero 5' and '6', which made me lose interest. 'World Tour', the fourth game still had a nice selection and from what I've read the first two games are also more rock-oriented, which, even after all this time, I still want to play someday.

Around the Network

What is that thing floating beside you all the time anyway? This is already the third game it's following me!

Flilix said:
Mnementh said:

game #32

Hunt 6!

Monster Hunter 4

Well, at least the series is right. But wrong game.

Arminillo said:
Mnementh said:

game #29

Hint 1: Everything land or everything water, which is too much?

Hint 2: The wise tree leading you in this game is Birch.

#29 is Pokemon RSE

Please decode what RSE means for me.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Darashiva said: 

Hints for the next three games:

#32: If you want, you can beat the game's final boss almost at the very beginning of this game.

#31: The Legend of Zelda in ancient Japan with watercolours.

#30: The one where Sonic and Mario came together to literally beat each other up.

32: Zelda Breath of the Wild

31: Okami

30: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Mnementh said:
Flilix said:

Monster Hunter 4

I already knew that it was Monster Hunter from the second hint, but I don't know which one.

Monster Hunter 3?

Flilix said:
Mnementh said:

I already knew that it was Monster Hunter from the second hint, but I don't know which one.

Monster Hunter 3?

Yes. It was moving from PS2 to Wii with Tri and from PSP to 3DS with 3G, so both times towards Nintendo.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]