By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Call Of Duty: WWII doesnt work at all without the day 1 patch. The disc is completely useless without the internet

Ruler said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Change happens. It's better to change with it than sit around and bitch... even if warranted.

Ehh no, I simple dont buy or play the game. If i wanted to play an MMO i would simple do that and even for free. There is happning too much change recently in what people call ''AAA'' games. 

You really think you're going to make a difference? None of us can change anything. There aren't enough people out there that care. The majority rules with their wallets and for every one of you, there are millions of them.

You can howl and the moon, shake your fists in the air, boycott until you're blue in the face... but nothing's going to change. The only thing that's going to come of it is your own suffering.

Around the Network

Oh man, I see the trend of hating on COD games is still going strong. Funny thing is, the developers are actually putting in effort with this installment, but it's getting hate all the same, even out of stupid reasons like needing an internet connection to play, when the game case specifically states that. I have the game pre-ordered on steam and I don't feel the need to complain about the fact that early physical copies purchasers are able to play before me, because I prefer playing the stable, post-day1patch version of the game.

I have played a few Call of Duty games over the years, but I always skipped on the ones that didn't interest me, like Infinite Warfare. It's quite simple, if you like something, you buy it. But most of the complainers are people who are buying the game fully aware of what they are getting and they still complain.

Barkley said:
dyremose said:
A 10gb patch... I download all my games anyway, but come on.. If you bought a physical game you should be able to play it without downloading gigs... When the xbox one was introduced we forced Microsoft to ditch checking in with the mothership every 24 hours.. This is even worse.

Didn't Forza 7 have a 50gb day one patch? Is it playable without it?

I think people are blowing this out of proportion because it's Call of Duty, there's been plenty of times to criticise this in the past. Pretty much every physical PC game released in the past 5 years.

They've put "Require Internet" on the case so any talk of a lawsuit is silly.

It wasn't a patch, it was content that couldn't fit on the Blu-Ray disc anymore. Also yes the update was purely optional.
Also the patch size wasn't anywhere near 50GB. It was roughly 22GB on Xbox One, for a total of 67GB on the HDD. It will be aroung 95GB with the Xbox One X update .

https://mspoweruser.com/forza-motorsport-7-stands-around-100-gb/

People still play CoD?

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

I wish I could blame gamers but it is really the casual fans that spend their money and put up with this bs. Score one for the casuals.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Around the Network

So, not sure if I missed someone mentioning it but can you play the single player without the internet? Else buying a game you can't play will cost them, me thinks.

Hmm, pie.

jlauro said:
JEMC said:
Is that a first? So far we've had plenty of games that would run like crap without the day one patch, but not working at all? Damn!

That's a very, very shitty move from Activision, that shows no respect for its potential consumers.

Now that I think about it, is it even legal to sell a product that doesn't work?

I have seen wii games and I think PS3 games require a system level patch (as opposed to a game patch) before they would let you play, but they included it on the disc...  Not exactly the same as it didn't require the internet for the patch.

Certainly legal... buyer be ware...  (that said, some states have protection policies where you should at least be able to get your money back)

So we've had broken games in the past, but they all launched with the fix/update in the disk to make sure that everyone would be able to play the game without further problems, and the only thing new here is that Activision has decided to go one step further and force you to download the patch.

I hope this doesn't become a new trend.

Mordred11 said:
Oh man, I see the trend of hating on COD games is still going strong. Funny thing is, the developers are actually putting in effort with this installment, but it's getting hate all the same, even out of stupid reasons like needing an internet connection to play, when the game case specifically states that. I have the game pre-ordered on steam and I don't feel the need to complain about the fact that early physical copies purchasers are able to play before me, because I prefer playing the stable, post-day1patch version of the game.

I have played a few Call of Duty games over the years, but I always skipped on the ones that didn't interest me, like Infinite Warfare. It's quite simple, if you like something, you buy it. But most of the complainers are people who are buying the game fully aware of what they are getting and they still complain.

If you want to moan about what people are complaining about, the least thing you should do is read and find out why they (or we in this case) are complaining about to not look like a fool. People are not complaining because this is a CoD game like you say in your very first sentence, people are upset because they are launching on purpose a game that won't work at all unless you install an almost 10GB patch that you'll have to download from the internet.

That's our main gripe here, not which game does it.

The Fury said:
So, not sure if I missed someone mentioning it but can you play the single player without the internet? Else buying a game you can't play will cost them, me thinks.

No, you can't play anything without that day 1 patch. You would get as far as the menu screen, but that's it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

JEMC said:
The Fury said:

No, you can't play anything without that day 1 patch. You would get as far as the menu screen, but that's it.

Really? Well, that's just stupid. I expect a fair few returned copies then, I think a game that doesn't work is allowed a refund. :P

Hmm, pie.

I remember the same thing happening 13 years ago when Half-Life 2 released. Everyone and their mother was outraged, because the game was not playable without connecting to the internet first. Today nobody cares anymore and it's the standard for PC games. You simply can't play those anymore without connecting at least once to the internet.

I have a feeling history will repeat itself on consoles. =P

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

JEMC said:

If you want to moan about what people are complaining about, the least thing you should do is read and find out why they (or we in this case) are complaining about to not look like a fool. People are not complaining because this is a CoD game like you say in your very first sentence, people are upset because they are launching on purpose a game that won't work at all unless you install an almost 10GB patch that you'll have to download from the internet.

That's our main gripe here, not which game does it.

Okay, Mr. Keyboard Warrior, before you assume I was moaning and looking like a fool, perhaps you should reread what I said. EVERYONE who buys the game is fully aware of what they are getting. If they are not pleased with what they are getting, then they shouldn't buy it. Anywhere I go on the internet, people are complaining about something in regards to the game, be it the number of maps, camos, lack of trailers, etc. And then we are in 2017 and people complain about the fact that they need an internet connection to play the game. In 2017. And acting like CODWW2 is the first one to do this.

It's simple, don't buy it and stop spreading hate.I'm not saying that in regards to this particular internet connection subject but in regards to all the reasons people are bitching about the game on internet right now, which they have been doing FOR YEARS, for every COD game released since 2010. Maybe relax before insulting people.