By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Call Of Duty: WWII doesnt work at all without the day 1 patch. The disc is completely useless without the internet

I'd like to say I'm surprised by this, but it just feels like yet another shameless practice by a AAA publisher. After what's already happened this year, something like this is just par for the course it seems.

Around the Network
JEMC said:
Now that I think about it, is it even legal to sell a product that doesn't work?

JRPGfan said:
JEMC said:
Now that I think about it, is it even legal to sell a product that doesn't work?

^ this.

I read it like the single player part works without the patch... but if that doesnt work either? jebus... law suit time.

Well it shouldn't be legal to sell the product before launch date, so technically the product does work if it's sold on the date it's legally meant to.

Don't read too much into it. It was done on purpose so those who got early copy's won't be able to play early, that's all.

Darashiva said:
I'd like to say I'm surprised by this, but it just feels like yet another shameless practice by a AAA publisher. After what's already happened this year, something like this is just par for the course it seems.

Meh it is the same like buying it digitally and can't play till midnight I don't mind it that much.

V-r0cK said:
JEMC said:

JRPGfan said:

^ this.

I read it like the single player part works without the patch... but if that doesnt work either? jebus... law suit time.

Well it shouldn't be legal to sell the product before launch date, so technically the product does work if it's sold on the date it's legally meant to.

Ignore release date. What about someone who has no internet? The game won't work for them ever.

Around the Network

Perhaps it is a good thing no COD came to Switch then.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

shikamaru317 said:

Good on Activision, get so sick of story details being leaked before a game even releases, gets so hard to try and avoid the spoilers. Been trying to dodge Sonic Forces spoilers all week because it leaked early. 

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but is it really that hard for you to avoid spoilers? Especially for such a short period of time? It must be a case of us having browsing habits that diverge once we go somewhere other than VGC. I'm waaaay behind in my backlog, and literally none of the games within said backlog have been compromised by spoilers. Curious to see how this plays out, but the talk of lawsuits in this thread is a bit over the top. How about getting a refund? Oh, and fuck Actvivision.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

shikamaru317 said:
COKTOE said:

I'm not trying to be a dick here, but is it really that hard for you to avoid spoilers? Especially for such a short period of time? It must be a case of us having browsing habits that diverge once we go somewhere other than VGC. I'm waaaay behind in my backlog, and literally none of the games within said backlog have been compromised by spoilers. Curious to see how this plays out, but the talk of lawsuits in this thread is a bit over the top. How about getting a refund? Oh, and fuck Actvivision.

It's not really an issue here on VGC, but on Twitter and such it can be difficult to dodge spoilers sometimes. I can just be scrolling down my twitter feed and catch enough of a glimpse of a spoiler to get the gist of it before I stop myself. 

Heh. Ya, that'll do it I suppose. I was only ever on Facebook, which I deactivated 2 years ago, but I can see how Twitter would add to the problem of potential spoilers.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
shikamaru317 said:

It's not really an issue here on VGC, but on Twitter and such it can be difficult to dodge spoilers sometimes. I can just be scrolling down my twitter feed and catch enough of a glimpse of a spoiler to get the gist of it before I stop myself. 

Heh. Ya, that'll do it I suppose. I was only ever on Facebook, which I deactivated 2 years ago, but I can see how Twitter would add to the problem of potential spoilers.

Not just Twitter, it's everywhere. Even on Youtube, you can have giant spoilers in the thumbnail picture or title of video. You don't have to click it.

But also speaking of facebook as you brought it up. Facebook now has videos that start playing without you even clicking. Whether i'm trying to avoid spoilers or not, they can show up anywhere.

konnichiwa said:
Darashiva said:

Meh it is the same like buying it digitally and can't play till midnight I don't mind it that much.

Yeah, I can understand their reasoning behind this, but it still comes off as them selling a game that doesn't work. If you are unable to connect to the internet to download the patch when you first want to play the game then you're just out of luck basically.