By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Call Of Duty: WWII doesnt work at all without the day 1 patch. The disc is completely useless without the internet

shikamaru317 said:
The Fury said:
So, not sure if I missed someone mentioning it but can you play the single player without the internet? Else buying a game you can't play will cost them, me thinks.

Afaik, once you download the day one patch you can play the singleplayer offline whenever you want.

You haven't missed the irony though... right?

Just checking.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
shikamaru317 said:

Good on Activision, get so sick of story details being leaked before a game even releases, gets so hard to try and avoid the spoilers. Been trying to dodge Sonic Forces spoilers all week because it leaked early. 

Nice

Chazore said:
AAA gaming in general these days.

Not true...... not even close.

shikamaru317 said:

Good on Activision, get so sick of story details being leaked before a game even releases, gets so hard to try and avoid the spoilers. Been trying to dodge Sonic Forces spoilers all week because it leaked early. 

Yes! Anti-consumer measures are a very reasonable way to deal with spoilers in games. /s

Also, what's to spoil in Sonic? Is this the one where cartoon furs DON'T fight the evil scientist?

Intrinsic said:

And yet we're still seeing half baked AAA games still continuing to come out these days, all with loaded season passes, MT's, loot crates, day 1 patches, bugs here and there etc.

I think it's very true, years ago it wasn't as much, but these days, very much so.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
Chazore said:
Intrinsic said:

And yet we're still seeing half baked AAA games still continuing to come out these days, all with loaded season passes, MT's, loot crates, day 1 patches, bugs here and there etc.

I think it's very true, years ago it wasn't as much, but these days, very much so.

Nope... this thread is about a game not being playable without a day on patch period.

There isn't any other AAA game that has been released like that.

Everything you mentioned about season passes, MT's, Loots crates...etc are all optional. You do not need to do any of that to play the game. Even the day one patches.

Intrinsic said:

Nope... this thread is about a game not being playable without a day on patch period.

There isn't any other AAA game that has been released like that.

Everything you mentioned about season passes, MT's, Loots crates...etc are all optional. You do not need to do any of that to play the game. Even the day one patches.

And I'm on about AAA gaming in general continuing down a slippery slope, but I guess you didn't pick up on that.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

OdinHades said:
I remember the same thing happening 13 years ago when Half-Life 2 released. Everyone and their mother was outraged, because the game was not playable without connecting to the internet first. Today nobody cares anymore and it's the standard for PC games. You simply can't play those anymore without connecting at least once to the internet.

I have a feeling history will repeat itself on consoles. =P

We're just late to the party.

I own over 90 games on Steam (I know a lot of people have more but that's not the point). At some point you stop caring about how the game is distributed, because the most important thing is how the game plays.

Microtransactions will always suck though...

shikamaru317 said:
RJ_Sizzle said:

Yes! Anti-consumer measures are a very reasonable way to deal with spoilers in games. /s

Also, what's to spoil in Sonic? Is this the one where cartoon furs DON'T fight the evil scientist?

The fact of the matter is that publishers have to do something on their end to block leaks and spoilers in this day and age. Retailers have made it clear that they aren't capable of following the very basic concept of the street date. Games arrive at retailers in cardboard boxes with the street date printed in giant font on them and stickers that say "do not break the street day", I have seen them behind he counter at Gamestop before, and yet many retailers don't follow it, especially in the middle east, they just hand out the copies as soon as they get them at the store. If the publishers/devs don't do something to block the leaks and spoilers on there end, such as requiring a small day one download to enable the campaign, leaks and spoilers are inevitable in this day and age. The devs don't want the story they worked hard on being spoiled before the game has even released, while the publishers don't want to lose money because people saw spoilers and decided they're no longer interested, so I can hardly say I blame them.

The only thing that is anti-consumer imo is the size of the update, over 8GB. The download that enables campaign should be no bigger than 100 MB imo, I see no reason why it should be larger than that, it is possible for them to make it separate from the other huge day-one update that includes bug fixes. If Actvision had made it separate like they should have I would have no issue with this at all. If you can't download a 100 MB or smaller day one update you probably should be concentrating your efforts on moving somewhere that doesn't suck instead of whiling away your day playing CoD. 41% of people worldwide had access to internet in 2014 and the average speed was 3 mbit/s, and almost all of the people that had access to no internet at all were in 3rd world countries, so very, very few of them are gamers anyway. On that average 3 mbit/s connection you could download a 100 MB update that enables campaign in just 260 seconds, and even on an ancient 56k modem you could download it in less than 4 hours, which would be highly inconvinient, but think how few gamers worldwide only have access to 56k anyway, probably less than 0.001%.

The only thing they need to do is sell me a video game that works when I buy it. Screw looking out for the publishers on that one. Why should gamers be punished for not being able to play their game because some people can't stay off Youtube and the like? If someone sees something in a game they don't like and don't want to purchase it based on that, then that's their right to do so. You may as well be against reviews with this kind of action.  No need to facilitate lie culture and anti-consumer culture in gaming in one fell swoop.

Mordred11 said:
JEMC said:

If you want to moan about what people are complaining about, the least thing you should do is read and find out why they (or we in this case) are complaining about to not look like a fool. People are not complaining because this is a CoD game like you say in your very first sentence, people are upset because they are launching on purpose a game that won't work at all unless you install an almost 10GB patch that you'll have to download from the internet.

That's our main gripe here, not which game does it.

Okay, Mr. Keyboard Warrior, before you assume I was moaning and looking like a fool, perhaps you should reread what I said. EVERYONE who buys the game is fully aware of what they are getting. If they are not pleased with what they are getting, then they shouldn't buy it. Anywhere I go on the internet, people are complaining about something in regards to the game, be it the number of maps, camos, lack of trailers, etc. And then we are in 2017 and people complain about the fact that they need an internet connection to play the game. In 2017. And acting like CODWW2 is the first one to do this.

It's simple, don't buy it and stop spreading hate.I'm not saying that in regards to this particular internet connection subject but in regards to all the reasons people are bitching about the game on internet right now, which they have been doing FOR YEARS, for every COD game released since 2010. Maybe relax before insulting people.

Warrior? Well, thanks! I've never been called that.

Second, you're making the same mistake again, mixing people complaining about a game and people complaining about a publisher policy that goes against us, consumers. We, or at least me, would react the same way if any other game or publisher did the same thing.

Lastly, of course people know the game requires an internet connection... to play the multiplayer part of it! But do they know that they need it to actually be able to make the game work? I doubt it.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.