By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - FIFA 18 on Switch accounted for 1% of all UK physical copies sold

1% is objectively a bad result. Still, there's no need to overreact. This figure is not a projection of the game overall sales and it's not a general indicator of how 3rd parties will fare on the system.
Imo, the FIFA market is very secluded since it's not a market of game enthusiasts but rather a market of soccer enthusiasts. Taking this into accout I believe the average FIFA player is not very sensitive to gaming novelties and will likely stay on the system he's accostumed to use.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

From my perspective I would say this genre doesn't have much appeal on Switch and that EA will have to look at other type of games to make the ports to Switch and see better sales... or if they can get by keeping the same engine for 5 years and just update the roster name with a small team even couple hundred thousand can make a profit and keep an image of support to the platform.

That I agree to and is overall a much more plausible explanation for things than the general "games have no competition on Swicth"-explanation. It is sad that FIFA on Switch bombs so hard, but still that probably means the focus of Switch-gamers lies elsewhere.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

GhaudePhaede010 said:
jonathanalis said:
In some brasilian foruns I participate, people are gerring crazy with these news.
They start a conspiracy that EA is sabotating the nintendo switch.
The arguments:
-EA is decreasing the supply of nintedo switch versions(they see less copies on shelves than ps360 versions).
-EA would say that the version dont sell on switch and would not bring fifa 2019 and other to switch.
-They only made fifa 2018 to comprove that : we tryed, but it dont sell.

Man, too crazy. Im trying to explain that the ps360 is still relevant for fifa, that EA never cared about nintendo consumers opinion on them, and that a company goal is profit, why would they spend money on something they are sabotaging?

I think the more important question is:

Why would a game that only sold 8,000 copies be sold out anywhere? The only logical answer is: self-sabotage. Trying to figure out why a business does things is futile. Trying to figure out how these numbers fit into context is a far easier endeavor.

No matter how much I want to believe it is something else, if I say I want to sell 8 boxes of peanuts but only have 4 boxes, then of course I can say I never met my sales expectations since I could not possibly reach 8 boxes sold.

So you're saying that they're artificially creating demand by purposefully limiting supply?

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Mnementh said:
DonFerrari said:

From my perspective I would say this genre doesn't have much appeal on Switch and that EA will have to look at other type of games to make the ports to Switch and see better sales... or if they can get by keeping the same engine for 5 years and just update the roster name with a small team even couple hundred thousand can make a profit and keep an image of support to the platform.

That I agree to and is overall a much more plausible explanation for things than the general "games have no competition on Swicth"-explanation. It is sad that FIFA on Switch bombs so hard, but still that probably means the focus of Switch-gamers lies elsewhere.

I don't buy Fifa and PES more than once or twice a gen when they are about 10USD, and wouldn't miss they on my console... but it's better to have it on the console to help grow the userbase... let's see if they can make a market for sport games on Switch, it's too early to tell and probably most Switch owners are Nintendo die hard fans on stablished genres Nintendo thrives.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

That´s similar to the sales of 3ds versions when it got FIFA games, I believe....

I wonder how´s the big worldwide pictute for that version

On the other side.... 44 % share of Lego Worlds. It seems Nintendo platforms will continue to be great for Lego games

Around the Network
Rogerioandrade said:

That´s similar to the sales of 3ds versions when it got FIFA games, I believe....

I wonder how´s the big worldwide pictute for that version

On the other side.... 44 % share of Lego Worlds. It seems Nintendo platforms will continue to be great for Lego games

The Lego game was released several months back on the other platforms so the Nintendo high percentage of sales for the week is expected.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

chakkra said:

Lets see:

Bomberman  -   9,137

Arms 11,764

SFII 4,686

Fifa 18 - 8,300

Well, if we take in consideration that all of these other games are Switch exclusives, then I would say that it didnt do THAT bad, all things considered.

Now if you could provide a source for these numbers this thread will be finished. With a Fatality!

think-man said:
MajorMalfunction said:

Do you think EA will come back for FIFA 19? I don't know. If the numbers are actually sub-10K, I don't personally think it's a sound investment. It's doing about as well as it did on a 12 year old console. Not good. Not good at all.

I think they will, it's too early to pull out now. The next title will probably sell more. 

It better. EA is looking to make money. If it doesn't do well next year, do you think EA will pull support? I could see it happening.  I think sales of Doom (this year) and Wolfenstein 2 (next year) will determine Bethesda's support. FIFA will do the same for EA. At least the Switch is doing better than Wii U.

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

KLAMarine said:
Cloudman said:

Even then, I still wonder if this would mean the end for EA and Nintendo. Is there any info on other areas besides the UK? There's still chances for better sales elsewhere.

If the effort was profitable, EA will continue and sequels will be cheaper since sports games don't seem to change very much. A common complaint I see with respect to games like Fifa, Madden, 2k, and so on is that the sequels have a lot of recycling.

I'm predicting a lot of recycling if the Switch gets a Fifa 19.

Well, I hope EA games do well enough to keep them invested in the system. I don't care for their games, but I recognize their importance.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

GoOnKid said:
chakkra said:

Lets see:

Bomberman  -   9,137

Arms 11,764

SFII 4,686

Fifa 18 - 8,300

Well, if we take in consideration that all of these other games are Switch exclusives, then I would say that it didnt do THAT bad, all things considered.

Now if you could provide a source for these numbers this thread will be finished. With a Fatality!

Errr...  Actually, those are VGC numbers.