By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In terms of Indies, Nintendo's support is best this year

I am simply loving what I'm seeing from the quality and quantity of the indie lineup. Indies get a bad track record mainly thanks to Steam that throws a lot of garbage out there, but that doesn't mean there aren't hidden gems.  And with Nintendo's quality control, they've kind of sorted through the crap for us anyway. I've reviewed several indie games and many of them have been quite enjoyable. Most are short and/or lacking in content, but they're also much cheaper than $60 AAA software to make up for that. Honestly between Nintendo staggering its own releases and all the indie games, I wouldn't really miss most AAA stuff on Switch, aside from a few titles here and there like Skyrim and Octopath. Does help that I also happen to own an XB One, but still :P

I just want me some Toe Jam and Earl, Star Dew Valley, and that Advance Wars looking game. Nine Parchments and that weird shooter also look intriging.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

Honestly, I don't think it has come close to ps4, let alone pc imo

Those are some bold claims to make without anything to back them up.

Indie games sell better on Switch and they play better as well, so yes, Switch will be the best place for indie games and developers. It's the truth, the library will only grow. We're getting Inside as well now.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Lawlight said:
I think this is a perception thing because more articles/topics are made about indie games coming to the Switch. This could also correlate to Sony not promoting indies during their conferences anymore.

But isn't Sony making a mistake here? Switch is getting very good Indie support already and we've had multiple stories of Indie games selling best on the Switch. Nintendo is also treating Indies very well right now. If we look into the future, the trend for Indies to target the Switch exclusively could become even stronger. The Switch is currently in an upwards spiral: Decent support leads to better hardware sales, leading to better third party sales, which in turn increases support. Sony has to make sure they react in time. Market leaders always fail because they lose sight of the small things. Sony has to react now and make sure Nintendo's support doesn't move upmarket: First Indie support, then Indie exclusives, now AA games like Skyrim and Doom -  the Switch is gathering momentum and we're at a point where the only reason some publishers don't release their games on Switch is because of the weaker hardware. But what if they shift resources to the Switch next? Sony can't wait for that to happen. By then, it will be too late.

Around the Network

As a system to play them on yes. It's like a handheld and home console game in one. There is almost no reason in most cases to buy indie games on another platform when you get the exact same experience with the added portable functionality. (Especially since a lot of indie games don't heavily drain your battery)

Nautilus said:
Mar1217 said:
Wait, Darkest Dungeon is coming to the Switch ??

Why did I bought it on STEAM !!!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/30/darkest-dungeon-coming-to-nintendo-switch?abthid=59cee983674ba04121000011

Oh God, yes! Bring all of my absolute addictions to Switch so that I can conveniently take them with me wherever I go!

The Sexy Brutale is coming too, even though it hasn't been officially announced yet, it has been rated for several countries and the japanese publisher confirmed it.

Lawlight said:
I think this is a perception thing because more articles/topics are made about indie games coming to the Switch. This could also correlate to Sony not promoting indies during their conferences anymore.

Well, as some Indies said, they sold the most copies on Switch. And thats still a new system with small userbase. Playstation gamers don't buy games, ... at least not as much as Switch-owners.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I disagree with this sentiment. I enjoy my Switch quite a bit, but find the idea that its library of Indie games this year is matching that of the PS4 a bit spurious. The PS4 gets a ridiculous amount of Indie games every week, and has so many at this point that many of them tend to get buried under the news. The Switch's lineup has been good, and the portability does help some of these games, but the PS4's library, whether from this year or cumulative, is still bigger and filled with more quality at the moment. That may change in the future, and the Switch has been doing very well at getting Indie support, but I just can't agree with this yet. 

Switch is definitely becoming best place for India's, development is easy and Indies are selling great on Switch.