By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - In terms of Indies, Nintendo's support is best this year

Let's not forget that PS4 marketed itself on indies for years and years on end because it had pretty much no games. I mean ... we'd all like to forget that, but aside from one or two good Triple A's per year it's pretty much the truth.

Switch will never match PC, and it will never match PS4 because PS4 had years to cultivate indies. Even if we accounted for how many games both will end up with in a similar time frame, it's probably easier to put an indie on PS4. Still, I do think that Switch is the best place to play indie games, aside from PC. I think the problem I have is that a lot of indie games are practically made for a controller, so Switch usually wins out.

Around the Network

I like Indies on Switch for the portability, but they are pretty pricey compared to steam. IMO an Indie should cost $10, not the $20 - $25 that is getting charged for Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania.

BraLoD said:
Nautilus said:

I should have said that its better than the PS4 in the same timeframe, since its not a "fair" contest if you compare the library the PS4 has built thus far, with the PS4 being almost 4 years old.And while yes, each indie game of higher profile gets a bigger spotlight because of the Switch being a newer console and not having "many" games to market or compete attention with, you could also say that Nintendo is just plain doing a better job at promoting the indies it has than Sony, the same way that Sony gave them a bigger spotlight in the early years of the PS4.

And about the PC side of things, I think it can come close to matching it in the same timeframe.I will admit that on this one Im a bit biased because Im a console gamer, but Nintendo does have some excellent exclusive indies on its machine and makes a case against the PC, even if its a weak one.

About the site being more Nintendo oriented, I dont think thats the case.Again, with the Switch being a newer system, it does get a bigger slice of the attention than the PS4 and XOne, but honestly, the fanbase or at least admiration of Sony and Nintendo here is somewhat even, even if it tends to be a bit more Nintendo oriented.I am a fan of Sony and Nintendo for example.But that doesnt impede me from congratulating Nintendo for doing a splendid work.

Sadly Smeags is not around anymore and you might have missed his greatest games yearly voting threads, but the thing was a Nintendo fest, as is any subject associated with Nintendo here way more than it is out of here.

As someone that has been deeply observing this forums until some months ago, now I'm quite alienated to be honest, I've presencied a massive amout of Nintendo fans here compared to other places im general, and most of the PS and XB fanbase leaving the site (PS guys moved in lots to VizionEck, XB guys started leaving the site once Titanfall didn't get XBO its month NPD).

This forums has still a decent amount of PS fans, but from the vocal, active crowd, it doesn't even compare to the Nintendo lot.

I'm a PS guy myself and if I go check my friend list here I'm sure there will be more Nintendo guys than PS guys there, for example xP

No problem with that, but it is a Nintendo oriented forum.

As far as Im aware, the ones going to Vizioneck are the ones that get banned here.At least a good number of them.And they get banned here for a reason.Its not anyones fault that we do get then the wrong type of PS fans, if they are the ones that are indeed more PS oriented.But thats beside the point.

And I think you are comming from a "biased" point of view in my opinion.The last few months, or last year really, has had more Nintendo threads made because Nintendo is not only currently the underdog, but also because it had/has a new console announced and released.The same happened to both Sony and Microsoft back in the time when they were about to reveal their new consoles, and the year after, if Im not mistaken.And with games with the quality of Zelda, Mario and Xenoblade comming out, plus all these "stereotypes" that Nintendo is breaking, they are bound to be the one most talked about.Not that quality games are not releasing on PS4, Horizon is a great game, Crash was talked alot back when it was released and Persona 5 is a masterpiece, but Nintendo is having what will probably be called the best first year for a console ever, or at least close to that.Its hard to compete against that in terms of discussions.

Now about Nintendo being the company with the most wanted games, well... they ARE the best developer in the world, wether you like to admit it or not.And they got a shitton of studios under them, so they always have alot of new games every year.Plus this forum is a bit more Nintendo oriented.But saying that it is mostly Nintendo?Thats just false.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Cerebralbore101 said:
I like Indies on Switch for the portability, but they are pretty pricey compared to steam. IMO an Indie should cost $10, not the $20 - $25 that is getting charged for Shovel Knight and Sonic Mania.

But those prices are the same for every single platform, save the odd exception like Rime....

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

Nautilus said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

But those prices are the same for every single platform, save the odd exception like Rime....

The problem with Steam, as far as I'm concerned, is that sales are a bit too much. It's weird to say, but it doesn't feel right that a game which is made with passion, it's solid in almost every conceivable way, and you can pay like 2 bucks and get it. I mean, I don't know about people, but I like to fund my hobby. It just keeps the wheel turning, and more games coming.

Around the Network
Volterra_90 said:
Nautilus said:

The problem with Steam, as far as I'm concerned, is that sales are a bit too much. It's weird to say, but it doesn't feel right that a game which is made with passion, it's solid in almost every conceivable way, and you can pay like 2 bucks and get it. I mean, I don't know about people, but I like to fund my hobby. It just keeps the wheel turning, and more games coming.

Well it depends.If iots a game you are not really sure that you will enjoy, or that the developer doesnt have a good track record or doesnt have one at all, its a fair strategy.

But for one that you know you will like, then yeah I agree.

Nautilus said:

I should have said that its better than the PS4 in the same timeframe

Nautilus said:

And about the PC side of things, I think it can come close to matching it in the same timeframe.

The Switch is getting lots of big name indies, because those indies launch on all available platforms once they've proven themselves to be strong sellers. The rate of good to bad indies is very high on Switch for this reason. But, we'll need to see if indies start launching on Switch at the same time as other platforms, and see how well they sell on Switch, to get a good idea of the real health of indy scene.

TallSilhouette said:
Nautilus said:

I should have said that its better than the PS4 in the same timeframe

Nautilus said:

And about the PC side of things, I think it can come close to matching it in the same timeframe.

Hey, its my opinion lol

And as I said before, as Im a console gamer(even though I game on PC too), I may be a bit biased in this point.