By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - 11th - 17th Sept 2017

StarDoor said:
Kerotan said:

I never said I was a very good sales fan.  I just always in my head assumed psp to be the ps2 gen because back then my friends were playing psp while I played the PSP.  

I've never taken part in any discussions on that topic so this is the first time I'm seeing people say otherwise. 

So what exactly are you trying to achieve here with this reply?  

It's meant to highlight why people think you're trolling. Every time you're misinformed about something, it's in a way that makes it easier for you to make a pro-Sony and anti-Nintendo narrative. If Vita goes with PS3, then Sony's performance this generation looks a lot more impressive: It means 7th gen was a huge decline in both handheld and home console sales, but at least PS4 is improving from the previous home console. Of course, Vita is 8th generation, so the real story of this gen is Sony losing a huge amount of handheld customers, a deficit that cannot be compensated for even with more home console sales.

Then there are the double standards. You've been very open about putting together 3DS and Wii U sales, so you clearly think that those two consoles are in the same generation. But then you turn around and claim that Vita doesn't go with PS4. This is in spite of the fact that 3DS released BEFORE Vita.

So, why would 3DS be 8th gen, and Vita be 7th gen in your eyes?

Answer: Because if you compare 3DS + Wii U versus Switch, it's a harder comparison for Nintendo than Wii U versus Switch or 3DS versus Switch. Therefore, you pick the comparison that makes Nintendo look worse.

On the other hand, if you only compare PS3 to PS4, it's an easier comparison for Sony than PSP+PS3 versus PSV+PS4. Therefore, you pick the comparison that makes Sony look better.

Look you can call me an idiot for my views on what gen the PSP is,  I really don't care.  

But what you're missing here is why do I not compare ps4 to Sony's previous home console + handheld?  It's quite simple.  Ps4 is not a hybrid so it gets compared to what it's succeeding and that's the ps3 only.  

Do you understand? 

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Mbolibombo said:

Well the poster I was quoting was talking about PS4...

Are you sure? Check again

Yeah I'm sure. As confirmed by the poster ;P

This still going on? Guess I'll add in my two cents. Switch is a hybrid and is therefore both a home and handheld console. It can be compared against both home consoles and handhelds but seperately and not two vs one like Switch vs Wii U + 3DS because most Wii U owners owned a 3DS so install base is no bigger. It is the successor of the Wii U and eventual successor of 3DS when it's support dies.

Kerotan said:
StarDoor said:

It's meant to highlight why people think you're trolling. Every time you're misinformed about something, it's in a way that makes it easier for you to make a pro-Sony and anti-Nintendo narrative. If Vita goes with PS3, then Sony's performance this generation looks a lot more impressive: It means 7th gen was a huge decline in both handheld and home console sales, but at least PS4 is improving from the previous home console. Of course, Vita is 8th generation, so the real story of this gen is Sony losing a huge amount of handheld customers, a deficit that cannot be compensated for even with more home console sales.

Then there are the double standards. You've been very open about putting together 3DS and Wii U sales, so you clearly think that those two consoles are in the same generation. But then you turn around and claim that Vita doesn't go with PS4. This is in spite of the fact that 3DS released BEFORE Vita.

So, why would 3DS be 8th gen, and Vita be 7th gen in your eyes?

Answer: Because if you compare 3DS + Wii U versus Switch, it's a harder comparison for Nintendo than Wii U versus Switch or 3DS versus Switch. Therefore, you pick the comparison that makes Nintendo look worse.

On the other hand, if you only compare PS3 to PS4, it's an easier comparison for Sony than PSP+PS3 versus PSV+PS4. Therefore, you pick the comparison that makes Sony look better.

Look you can call me an idiot for my views on what gen the PSP is,  I really don't care.  

But what you're missing here is why do I not compare ps4 to Sony's previous home console + handheld?  It's quite simple.  Ps4 is not a hybrid so it gets compared to what it's succeeding and that's the ps3 only.  

Do you understand? 

It seems like you are the one who doesn't understand. I didn't say PS4 should be compared with both PSP and PS3. I said that PS4 AND Vita should be compared with PSP and PS3, because those numbers represent the entire PlayStation userbase for gens 7 and 8, just like Wii U and 3DS represent the Nintendo userbase for gen 8 and Switch will represent the entire Nintendo userbase for gen 9.

According to your own logic, comparing Switch to Wii U + 3DS is exactly the same as comparing PSV + PS4 to PSP + PS3. If you can compare one hybrid to a home console and a handheld combined, then obviously you can compare a home console and a handheld combined to another home console and another handheld combined.

You're saying PS4 shouldn't be compared to the previous home console + handheld. But you know what? Sony did release a handheld this generation. You're always celebraring PS4 being ahead of PS3 as some huge accomplishment and using it as evidence for Sony doing very well, even though their total userbase has shrunk considerably. So your comparisons allow PlayStation as a whole to decline by a huge amount, while Nintendo can't decline at all. You're saying that PlayStation will still be more impressive to you just because PS4 is doing better than PS3, never mind that PlayStation's handheld sales have declined by 14 million.

Kerotan said:

I have in the past specifically said it needs to beat them to succeed but also in the past and present I've obviously said it doesn't.  In fact I've said it doesn't many more times then not.  

And the last few weeks I've changed my tune to it doesn't.  it can't be laid out any clearer then that.  

And those posts are nowhere near as bad as you sound.  For a man who regularly sites context,  you are ignoring the context here. 

Post #3

I'm just talking sense so not sure why that was listed. 

Post #4 

Actually on second reading this talks sense aswell.  I said it only needs to sell 20m to be successful and even went as low as 15m. 

So what exactly are you calling out here?  I've said it more often then not that beating 3DS+Wii U is not a requirement to be successful.  so in hindsight I actually believe I used to say it had to beat them but those posts don't show it.  Maybe I've started to believe the lies people regularly talk about me on here,  when they re write my history.  Is there actually a case where I say it has to beat them? 

And I look forward to your reply to @kyuu because he's making a very valid point. 

If you're changing the way you decide to compare platforms on a weekly basis, then it's pointless even having a discussion with you.

Posts 1 and 2 have been discussed to death already, and we've already come to an agreement as a mod team and a community on your general attitude. Post 3 is there for the contradiction; you directly state that a hybrid platform needs to sell the combined numbers of the previous platforms, which implies if it doesn't then it's not a success. Post 4 is there because of the silly sales goals it apparently has in the world of Kerotan to be successful, talking about how it "only" needs to sell 15-20 Million to be a success (especially when Japan as a market is shrinking and moving towards smartphones).

It's ludicrous. 

You literally say at the top of your post that in the past you've "specifically said it needs to beat them to succeed". These are your own words. Stop moving the goalposts.

Kyuu doesn't need a reply, because there's nothing more to agree or disagree on.

RolStoppable said:

The 3DS's successor is already out, so the 3DS has been followed up with a traditional gaming platform in the context you speak of, a dedicated gaming system.

Smartphones aren't the next logical step for Nintendo games at all; what they are is the logical step for are tie-ins, so smartphones are similar to television where you can find shows based on Nintendo's IPs in the past and present. There's a reason why Nintendo's smartphone titles aren't like the real deal; what Nintendo does on smartphones is not intended to replace handheld gaming at all, the intent is to funnel people to Nintendo's dedicated gaming hardware. That has already proven to work and Nintendo isn't going to change this strategy.

I think that smartphones are the next logical step for Nintendo profits while the market for traditional handheld gaming shrinks.

Around the Network
StarDoor said:
Kerotan said:

Do you understand? 

It seems like you are the one who doesn't understand. I didn't say PS4 should be compared with both PSP and PS3. I said that PS4 AND Vita should be compared with PSP and PS3, because those numbers represent the entire PlayStation userbase for gens 7 and 8, just like Wii U and 3DS represent the Nintendo userbase for gen 8 and Switch will represent the entire Nintendo userbase for gen 9.

According to your own logic, comparing Switch to Wii U + 3DS is exactly the same as comparing PSV + PS4 to PSP + PS3. If you can compare one hybrid to a home console and a handheld combined, then obviously you can compare a home console and a handheld combined to another home console and another handheld combined.

You're saying PS4 shouldn't be compared to the previous home console + handheld. But you know what? Sony did release a handheld this generation. You're always celebraring PS4 being ahead of PS3 as some huge accomplishment and using it as evidence for Sony doing very well, even though their total userbase has shrunk considerably. So your comparisons allow PlayStation as a whole to decline by a huge amount, while Nintendo can't decline at all. You're saying that PlayStation will still be more impressive to you just because PS4 is doing better than PS3, never mind that PlayStation's handheld sales have declined by 14 million.

Never bought a handheld from Sony and have bought every console.  Too me their home console base is all I care about.  

And on your other point.  Yes psv + ps4 can be compared to ps3 + psp if you want. That's a fair comparison. Feel free to do it.  You're perfectly entitled to if it interests you.  

The same way I'm entitled to have an interest in ps3 vs PS4 and Switch vs Wii + 3DS.

Kerotan until you give a single reason for adding hardware sales of different platforms with overlapping consumer bases your argument remains nonsense. “It’s a hybrid” doesn’t explain why Nintendo should be expected to sell 2 Switches to someone who bought 1 3DS and 1 Wii U.

Carl2291 said:
Kerotan said:

Same as if Sony outsell ps2 you can point out there was a time when they had the PSP and PS2 on the market at the same time. Only solace for Sony is they only had a brief stint with handhelds whereas Nintendo have a long history of having both home console and portable on the market at the same time. I 

StarDoor pretty much already did this, but...

The PS2 launched WW in 2000, the PSP launched WW in 2005 and the PS3 launched WW in 2006. Vita had a WW launch in 2012, PS4 had the WW launch in 2013.

If anything, the PSP and the PS3 would be combined, meaning that if we use your logic the Vita and PS4 combination would be required to sell a combined ~165 Million units to be considered a success for Sony. Do you now see how utterly ridiculous this entire comparison is?

Unless you want to argue that the industry for dedicated consoles is in a state of recession, which I do!  

PS4 and Switch can be successful on their own raw numbers, but it's quite important to note that they (referring to Sony and Nintendo here) were able to do much more before dropping out/conslidating their markets/userbases.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

the_dengle said:

Kerotan until you give a single reason for adding hardware sales of different platforms with overlapping consumer bases your argument remains nonsense. “It’s a hybrid” doesn’t explain why Nintendo should be expected to sell 2 Switches to someone who bought 1 3DS and 1 Wii U.

Well the sales of Switch clearly show that uniting the 2 platforms into 1 makes it appealing to new consumers who would never have bought either on their own.  

I've also acknowledge that this comparison is also valid as it addresses the overlapping userbase.  

Switch vs 3DS+WiiU/2

outlawauron said:

Unless you want to argue that the industry for dedicated consoles is in a state of recession, which I do!  

PS4 and Switch can be successful on their own raw numbers, but it's quite important to note that they were able to do much more before dropping out/conslidating their markets/userbases.

You're not wrong. The market is shrinking in a fairly major way.