By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Switch is doing great because it's handheld"

From time to time I saw this point from some people, saying that Switch is doing great just because it's handheld and every Nintendo handheld had great sales, so its same for Switch.

But those people missing few facts what made Switch difrent compared to other Nintendo handhelds:

-Switch is a hybrid, its handheld and home console in same time. Definitely it's not best fit like handheld because it's bigger and dont have very good battery life either.

-Switch has price point of Nintendo home console, not Nintendo handheld. Just look at launch prices of last few Nintendo home consoles, GC had launch price of $200, Wii of $200 and Wii U of $300 (it had version of $350 also). 3DS had launch price of $250 but it didnt sell very well, and start selling great only after price cut to $170 that received only 6 months after launch, while Switch is selling great with $300 and actualy Nintendo still cant keep up with demand.

-Switch games have price point of home console games, not of handheld (Switch AAA games are $60 same like they were for Wii and Wii U, 3DS/DS AAA games are $40).

So with those facts on mind Switch position on market is more like home console than its like handheld, despite fact that it can be used like real handheld also.

So no, Switch is not selling great because "it's just another Nintendo handheld and they always sell well", Switch is selling because great concept (with its hybrid nature where is a handheld and home console in same time), great system seller games and good marketing.

Around the Network

Do you really need to create a thread to defend the NS against some people saying "switch is doing great because it's a handheld" once in awhile?

Well, first of all: Switch IS a handheld. And it is helping, I think it is awesome to play Zelda or Disgaea on the train.

Nevertheless, being a handheld doesn't explain the success on it's own. There were many failed handhelds: Wonderswan, Lynx, Shield and a device called Vita. So being a handheld is not more a guarantee of success as being a console is.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

The fact that it's $299.99 negates everything. When is the last time a handheld sold this well at that price? Secondly, it's ridiculous to hate on it for being able to be taken outside because it's a GOOD IDEA. If PS4 could be taken on the go and docked at home, it would be a better console for it and it would probably be murdering sales in Japan.

AlfredoTurkey said:
The fact that it's $299.99 negates everything. When is the last time a handheld sold this well at that price? Secondly, it's ridiculous to hate on it for being able to be taken outside because it's a GOOD IDEA. If PS4 could be taken on the go and docked at home, it would be a better console for it and it would probably be murdering sales in Japan.

If you could take the PS4 on the go it wouldn't have the specs it has, nor would the XOne, and you can forget about the Pro and the OneX, we will see something with those specs being a handheld in 5+ years or more. Its the same with laptops, its hard as f to make laptops with specs similar to home PCs, or at least laptops that don't cost a fortune with specs similar to home PCs.

The Switch is a handheld, its nice it can be docked when its at home, its an advantage over the handhelds of the past, but being a handheld is its main thing. It goes like this: the Switch is an awesome handheld that can be docked when youre home, and not a console that can be taken on the go.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:
Do you really need to create a thread to defend the NS against some people saying "switch is doing great because it's a handheld" once in awhile?

It's not point about defending anything, but fact that some people keep saying  same thing and ignore clear facts that I wrote.

Can the Nintendo community please stop making a thread about every little issue

There has been like 2 or 3 threads this month alone about "REMEMBER WHEN PEOPLE THOUGHT THE SWITCH WOULDN'T SELL?"

Now we have to correct every little wrongdoing against the Switch

While I do think the Switch is successful for a lot of different reasons, it's handheld form is one of it's key reasons. People who say the 300$ price negates this fact, because "no handheld has sold well at that price", are looking at things in a black and white view. Yes, it is amazing that Nintendo can charge so much and get away with it, which is good for Nintendo. But that doesn't negate it's form as a selling point, because when the 3DS launched at a big price, it was for a shitty gimmick, whereas the Switch plays console quality games on the go.

I mean it amazes me, that the same community that justifies every third party purchase with "BUT CAN PS4 DO MOBILE?!?!?!?!!", is now saying that the Switch isn't doing great because it's a handheld.

It's not priced like a handheld and, even if you could argue that handheld games are catching up to more modern tech games, it plays games like BotW, Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2, in which their sizes and content aren't usually possible on handhelds.

its too bad we don't have enough data to see how many people play the console docked or undocked.

Miyamotoo said:
Aeolus451 said:

It's not point about defending anything, but fact that some people keep saying  same thing and ignore clear facts that I wrote.

Why do you feel the need to make a thread defending it or correcting people's way of thinking on it? It's not exactly a prevalant opinion here. You are defending a position against another so you are trying defend it. it's the way you framed the op. I don't really care either way but I'll say this on it. If consumers mainly use the NS as a handheld, then I wouldn't say those people are wrong about the NS being a handheld thing but if more consumers are using it as a home console and handheld then your point of view would be right. Either way, I don't think this is worth a thread created over it. 

Its portable aspect plays a role, but it's obviously not the sole reason.

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---