By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Switch is doing great because it's handheld"

It doing good cause it's a handheld which you can play console-quality games everywhere you go

NNID : ShenlongDK
PSN : DarkLong213
Around the Network

It's true though it may be a hybrid but the portable aspect is a key factor in its success this is why it's lighting up everything in Japan.

Wyrdness said:
It's true though it may be a hybrid but the portable aspect is a key factor in its success this is why it's lighting up everything in Japan.

This is more or less the way I see it, the handheld factor is huge in Japan and likely one of the main reasons it's selling so well there.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Can the Nintendo community please stop making a thread about every little issue

There has been like 2 or 3 threads this month alone about "REMEMBER WHEN PEOPLE THOUGHT THE SWITCH WOULDN'T SELL?"

Now we have to correct every little wrongdoing against the Switch

While I do think the Switch is successful for a lot of different reasons, it's handheld form is one of it's key reasons. People who say the 300$ price negates this fact, because "no handheld has sold well at that price", are looking at things in a black and white view. Yes, it is amazing that Nintendo can charge so much and get away with it, which is good for Nintendo. But that doesn't negate it's form as a selling point, because when the 3DS launched at a big price, it was for a shitty gimmick, whereas the Switch plays console quality games on the go.

I mean it amazes me, that the same community that justifies every third party purchase with "BUT CAN PS4 DO MOBILE?!?!?!?!!", is now saying that the Switch isn't doing great because it's a handheld.

Actually we never had $300 price point for handheld, in any case my point its wrong to say that Switch is selling great just because "it another Nintendo handheld and they always sell great" where actualy price point and position on market is much closer to Nintendo home console than it is to handheld.

Miyamotoo said:

There has been like 2 or 3 threads this month alone about "REMEMBER WHEN PEOPLE THOUGHT THE SWITCH WOULDN'T SELL?"

While I do think the Switch is successful for a lot of different reasons, it's handheld form is one of it's key reasons. People who say the 300$ price negates this fact, because "no handheld has sold well at that price", are looking at things in a black and white view. Yes, it is amazing that Nintendo can charge so much and get away with it, which is good for Nintendo. But that doesn't negate it's form as a selling point, because when the 3DS launched at a big price, it was for a shitty gimmick, whereas the Switch plays console quality games on the go.

I mean it amazes me, that the same community that justifies every third party purchase with "BUT CAN PS4 DO MOBILE?!?!?!?!!", is now saying that the Switch isn't doing great because it's a handheld.

Actually we never had $300 price point for handheld, in any case my point its wrong to say that Switch is selling great just because "it another Nintendo handheld and they always sell great" where actualy price point and position on market is much closer to Nintendo home console than it is to handheld.

I know no handheld has sold at that price. I meant at around that price range. I'm paraphrasing what someone else in this thread said

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:

I know no handheld has sold at that price. I meant at around that price range. I'm paraphrasing what someone else in this thread said

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry

Sorry, but you wrote "no handheld has sold well at that price", but it doesn't really matters...I wrote whats my point, Switch is selling because great concept, great system seller games and good marketing, not because it's just another Nintendo handheld that always sell well.

Miyamotoo said:

Sorry, but you wrote "no handheld has sold well at that price", but it doesn't really matters...I wrote whats my point, Switch is selling because great concept, great system seller games and good marketing, not because it's just another Nintendo handheld that always sell well.

I know I wrote that. I just said I wrote that. I just said that it was a mistake.  Just like this thread.

Miyamotoo said:

Does this mean that people will also stop automatically adding all the hardware sales for handhelds and home consoles for the purposes of predicting a massive installed base for the Switch due, in no small part, to the success of their handhelds and the 3DS?

If the Switch was welded to the dock it wouldn't do nearly as well as it's going to. So from that standpoint the "Switch is doing great because it's handheld" is correct in my mind.

Barkley said:
If the Switch was welded to the dock it wouldn't do nearly as well as it's going to. So from that standpoint the "Switch is doing great because it's handheld" is correct in my mind.

Well thats double sword, if Switch dont have dock and Joy Cons and same price point, also wouldn't go as nearly well. So point is about hybrid concept, not just about one thing.