By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - "Switch is doing great because it's handheld"

Miyamotoo said:
Barkley said:
If the Switch was welded to the dock it wouldn't do nearly as well as it's going to. So from that standpoint the "Switch is doing great because it's handheld" is correct in my mind.

Well thats double sword, if Switch dont have dock and Joy Cons and same price point, also wouldn't go as nearly well. So point is about hybrid concept, not just about one thing.

Right but if it was just the handheld, it'd do better then if it was just the home console.

It's a two-edged sword, but Handheld is the more important edge.

If it didn't have the handheld aspect it's potential would be much much less then it is now. Nintendo can't compete with PlayStation/Xbox in the same home-console space, they need to create their own. Which is evidenced by the Wii being the only very succesful dedicated home-console from them since PlayStation joined the market. The Wii being unique rather then a direct competitor allowed it's success.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

Well thats double sword, if Switch dont have dock and Joy Cons and same price point, also wouldn't go as nearly well. So point is about hybrid concept, not just about one thing.

Right but if it was just the handheld, it'd do better then if it was just the home console.

If it didn't have the handheld aspect it's potential would be much much less then it is now. Nintendo can't compete with PlayStation/Xbox in the same home-console space, they need to create their own. Which is evidenced by the Wii being the only very succesful dedicated home-console from them since PlayStation joined the market. The Wii being unique rather then a direct competitor allowed it's success.

True, but in this case here we are talking about $300 only handheld, remember, 3DS start selling good just after price cut to $170.

Switch is doing well because it's well positioned, it has good selection of games many of which are exclusive and its different enough from Ps4 to not being considered a direct competitor

Switch is doing well because the hardware and the games are appealing to two markets instead of one.

A Switch is cheaper than a 3DS + Wii U.

I simply see it as a hybrid. How I would play it would depend on the game.

Having Nintendo and other developers focus on 1 Nintendo System will be a win for Nintendo and for Gamers!

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Barkley said:

True, but in this case here we are talking about $300 only handheld, remember, 3DS start selling good just after price cut to $170.

apart from it's 3D gimmick the 3DS also had super weak HW even for the time it released in, while the Tegra X1 in the Switch is the most potent chip (GPU wise) actually in use for a mobile device of it's size class

Lafiel said:
Miyamotoo said:

apart from it's 3D gimmick the 3DS also had super weak HW even for the time it released in, while the Tegra X1 in the Switch is the most potent chip (GPU wise) actually in use for a mobile device of it's size class

It doesn't really matters, point is that $300 is too much in any case for just handheld console and that definitely wouldn't had in that case good sales if Switch is not full home console in same time.

Miyamotoo said:

From time to time I saw this point from some people, saying that Switch is doing great because it's handheld and every Nintendo handheld had great sales, so its same for Switch.

But those people missing few facts what made Switch difrent compared to other Nintendo handhelds:

-Switch is a hybrid, its handheld and home console in same time. Definitely it's not best fit like handheld because it's bigger and dont have very good battery life either.

-Switch has price point of Nintendo home console, not Nintendo handheld. Just look at launch prices of last few Nintendo home consoles, GC had launch price of $200, Wii of $200 and Wii U of $300 (it had version of $350 also). 3DS had launch price of $250 but it didnt sell very well, and start selling great only after price cut to $170 that received only 6 months after launch, while Switch is selling great with $300 and actualy Nintendo still cant keep up with demand.

-Switch games have price point of home console games, not of handheld (Switch AAA games are $60 same like they were for Wii and Wii U, 3DS/DS AAA games are $40).

So with those facts on mind Switch position on market is more like home console than its like handheld, despite fact that it can be used like real handheld also.

So no, Switch is not selling great because it just another Nintendo handheld and they always sell well, Switch is selling because great concept, great system seller games and good marketing.

First, i do agree that Switch isn't a handheld - just because you can take it with you.

But i wouldn't use price as a big factor.
You see, if you say that "Switch has price point of Nintendo home console" as a rebuttal, you need to remember that 3DS was priced exactly as the Wii (it was 250 and not 200, as you wrote). Yet, you wouldn't say 3DS was a home console, would you?

Switch having SW price points similar to home consoles, might not be the best argument either.
First, i have seen prices for 3DS Nintendo games, between 45-50. 
Second, i haven't it's known that Switch's cards are more expensive and have caused games to be higher in price (Rime, comes to mind).
Third, i think it was just a matter of time until even handheld games saw a price surge. You can't continue to spend more money in developing more expensive games and not have that reflect on games' prices.

To me, Switch is a hybrid, but even then it's more of a home console because that's where it's strongest at.
As you mentioned, it has a weaker battery, bigger dimensions than what a handheld could offer.

DélioPT said:
Miyamotoo said:

From time to time I saw this point from some people, saying that Switch is doing great because it's handheld and every Nintendo handheld had great sales, so its same for Switch.

But those people missing few facts what made Switch difrent compared to other Nintendo handhelds:

-Switch is a hybrid, its handheld and home console in same time. Definitely it's not best fit like handheld because it's bigger and dont have very good battery life either.

-Switch has price point of Nintendo home console, not Nintendo handheld. Just look at launch prices of last few Nintendo home consoles, GC had launch price of $200, Wii of $200 and Wii U of $300 (it had version of $350 also). 3DS had launch price of $250 but it didnt sell very well, and start selling great only after price cut to $170 that received only 6 months after launch, while Switch is selling great with $300 and actualy Nintendo still cant keep up with demand.

-Switch games have price point of home console games, not of handheld (Switch AAA games are $60 same like they were for Wii and Wii U, 3DS/DS AAA games are $40).

So with those facts on mind Switch position on market is more like home console than its like handheld, despite fact that it can be used like real handheld also.

So no, Switch is not selling great because it just another Nintendo handheld and they always sell well, Switch is selling because great concept, great system seller games and good marketing.

But i wouldn't use price as a big factor.
You see, if you say that "Switch has price point of Nintendo home console" as a rebuttal, you need to remember that 3DS was priced exactly as the Wii (it was 250 and not 200, as you wrote). Yet, you wouldn't say 3DS was a home console, would you?

Switch having SW price points similar to home consoles, might not be the best argument either.
First, i have seen prices for 3DS Nintendo games, between 45-50. 
Second, i haven't it's known that Switch's cards are more expensive and have caused games to be higher in price (Rime, comes to mind).
Third, i think it was just a matter of time until even handheld games saw a price surge. You can't continue to spend more money in developing more expensive games and not have that reflect on games' prices.

To me, Switch is a hybrid, but even then it's more of a home console because that's where it's strongest at.
As you mentioned, it has a weaker battery, bigger dimensions than what a handheld could offer.

3DS had same price point like Wii that came out 5-6 years earlier, and point is that 3DS didn't sell at all with that price point and Nintendo needed to make big price cut early to in order that 3DS start selling.

You are obvously wrong, Switch has same price point of SW same like Wii U or earlier Wii, and 3DS has same price point of SW like DS had, difference between 3DS and Switch game price point is very obvious. Offical price of AAA 3DS games is $40, ofical price of Switch AAA games is $60. You dont need Rime at all, just look at Nintendo games and you are get picture. Why Switch games have AAA price point of home console, because obvious they are full home console AAA games that run and full home console mode.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide?pv=true#filter/3ds|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-

http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide?pv=true#filter/switch|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|featured|des|-|-

For me Switch is also hybrid.