By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Japanese losing interest in Switch due to shortage.

Japanese consumers who have always wanted to purchase a Nintendo Switch are starting to get tired of the long Switch lottery lines and persistent shortages that have lasted for more than 5 months.

According to Nifty News, Bic Camera and Yodobashi stores in Akihabara received their biggest shipment of Switch units on August 26 – 1000 sets of Nintendo Switch. Customers who were waiting in line outside these retailers were rejoicing, but on social networks such as Twitter, many reacted to the news with anger and disappointment.

One user commented “After seeing the long lines, I gave up buying (a Nintendo Switch) at the retail store. I couldn’t even pre-order a set online (from My Nintendo Store), I’m about halfway in giving up.”

More users began to chime in with similar feelings on the situation. “Up till now I haven’t been able to buy a Switch, turns out I don’t want to buy one anymore”, “Couldn’t buy a Switch up till today, guess I don’t need it forever”, “All I want to do is to game on the Switch, why couldn’t I even buy one?!”, “Why do we have to suffer like this?”

Not everyone is feeling pessimistic about the shortages. A Japanese family treated the weekly Switch lotteries like a family excursion, even though they haven’t been able to secure a Switch until now.

To remedy the shortages, Nintendo told consumers in Japan they will ramp up production and send more units to the Japanese market beginning in Fall 2017.

Nintendo’s online store, My Nintendo Store, started taking pre-orders for customizable Nintendo Switch sets on August 22 which are estimated to ship out in October. The problem is pre-orders are sold out very quickly everyday and it is extremely difficult to access the website due to high traffic.

Are you also facing difficulties in purchasing a Nintendo Switch in your country? Let us know in the comments.

https://nintendosoup.com/japan-consumers-starting-lose-interest-nintendo-switch-due-persistent-shortages/#comments

I figured this would happen. Nintendo really needs to find a way to boost production. Some are saying people will come back when they're in stock but they don't necessarily have to.

Around the Network

But, but, ... Nintendo artificially creates this shortages to INCREASE demand!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

I really wonder as to why anyone would be frustrated and overreact in such a way. It's a game system. It's a luxury. Unless you have absolutely nothing else going on in your life, you can wait.

The answer to this of course ... is to cease ALL SHIPMENTS to Europe and bring them back to Japan! Woohoo!

Thing is, there isn't an alternative ... and even if one is being developed, it won't be out for a long time. People can throw a fit but it's not going to affect lifetime sales much at all. 

Lol, I remember when Switch was "revealed" at the January conference there was the guy with that Roadhog avatar who kept saying "Guys, i'm telling ya! My friend in Japan is saying that the Japanese are laughing at the Switch! They think it's a joke!" 

Just wait until Pokemon launches :3

Around the Network

I've been in their shoes and it can be frustrating, but the truth is the vast majority of them are full of it. If you're passionate enough to allow something like a console shortage to get you angry, you're not going to ignore it when the supply is available. After all, if you want a Switch badly (as these angry folks clearly do) then there's no real alternative on the market.

The moment one of those "I'm not buying it cuz I'm mad" people see one sitting on a shelf, they'll grab it. They're just blowing off some steam, which is entirely justified; I've done much the same in the past with Nintendo shortages myself.

Really, "Japan losing interest in Switch as it is constantly sold out" almost sounds like one of those Yogi Berra quotes like "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded" lol

Gonna call bull on this. There are different segments of gamers. Ask the right questions to the right kinds of people and you get the answers you seek.

Even though I have very little interest in the Switch, if it were easy to find and I had the money I would probably have bought one. However, because it is not easy to find I am definitely not willing to spend the extra effort in getting one. There are people with varying degrees of interest and willingness to spend effort in getting what they want even if the want is very little. Just because some people who are probably already wishy washy in buying the Switch in the first place have decided the not buy it because of long lines doesn't mean there aren't plenty of other people willing to buy the Switch despite the long lines and would love to do so if there weren't shortages.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

They'll be back!

I've never seen one in stores since it launched. Best Buy, target or GameStop never have them in stock. I feel their frustration. By the time Nintendo fixes their shortage problems, PS5 will be on shelves. Probably.

I don't really think that's true on a national scale.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.