By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your unpopular/controversial gaming opinions

pokemon black and white are the best pokemon games
super mario 3d world is the best mario game of the last decade

Also I dont see the hype around GTA V , its a great game but 80m?

Around the Network

For the most part, games should not have multiples difficulties.If a developer inteds for a game to be hard, it should be experienced as so.If a developer intends a game to be easy, it should be experienced as so.People give too much importance to player "freedom of choice" and forget that this sometimes leads to a lesser playing experience.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Metal Gear Solid games are ****
(I have tried most of them)

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Home console gaming sucks

PC gaming is even worse

Wii U has the best controller ever, since it lets you play most games in handheld mode

Switch is by far the best console ever made

GTA5 and Skyrim are terribly boring

The vast majority of games that aren't made by Nintendo are pretty bad

Breath of the Wild is the only game that's pretty much flawless

Breath of the Wild has the best graphics ever

Pokémon X&Y are way better than Sun&Moon

Too many of them...so just one:

Cinematic approach to games is one of the worst thing that ever happened to gaming.

Around the Network

9 times out of 10 JRPGs are vastly superior to WRPGs

Nintendo's hardware are all too often characterized by pointless gimmicks which are essentially Nintendo creating a solution looking for a problem. For example, the 3D in 3DS and the WiiU gamepad. And this is from someone who likes most of their consoles.

Motion controls are almost never good. The only time they were at least somewhat acceptable were on the Wii, because they were essential to the entire console, and even then the console's best games are ones that don't really use them. The PlayStation Move and Kinect were both desperate attempts from Sony and Microsoft to cash in on a fad at least 2 years too late.

Online multiplayer is always the least interesting aspect of a video game, unless that is literally the only thing the game offers.

Bioshock (the first game) is boring, and it's setting is largely wasted on what is ultimately a very bland hallway shooter.

The MGS franchise, and Kojima by extension are outrageously overrated. With the exception of MGS3, which is excellent, and the gameplay of MGS5, the rest of the series is mostly hyper convoluted nonsense, with piss poor pacing.

GTA4 is possibly the worst good game ever made. It's completely sound mechanically, has an interesting story, a mostly fun cast of characters, and did a good job of introducing multiplayer to the franchise.....but the complete disconnect between the story/character motivations, and the very mechanics/premise of the game undermine the player, and the story in equally huge measure. The sense that you shouldn't be doing anything you're doing, or want to do, is drilled into you pretty much nonstop, and it just drains all the enthusiasm out of a game that should be all about freedom.

Legend of Dragoon's addition system was the best turn based combat system ever in an RPG.

Consoles will inevitably become always online sooner or later, and there's nothing wrong with that.

JRPGs are largely obnoxious. I'm not sure if the original writing is just straight up awful, or the translations are what lead to the abysmal dialog that I'm left listening to.....but the net result is the same. It's cringeworthy. Characters are complete stereotypes, and caricatures, with no nuances to them at all. This has actually gotten worse, or at the very least, more noticable, now that everything is voice acted, rather than text based. Also they pick the most annoying voice actors ever, because for some ungodly reason I guess the Japs think those squeaky ass voices are cool. As a result, they're completely unrelatable, and fail to do for their games what characters in western RPGs often do, which is mask the game's other flaws and shortcomings. That's not to say there aren't exceptions, of course, but by and large, I got no use for em.

The Fallout franchise does nothing for me. The environments are bland and lifeless, and while I understand that for the purpose of their intended setting and tone they kinda have to be, to a certain extent......that doesn't change the facts. I don't enjoy walking around from one pile of rubble to the next 500 times in a row. Just wears me down, and I quickly lose interest.

Devs pretty much don't make real RPGs anymore. The story, and your character motivations are so rigidly defined, and woven into the gameplay, that there is little to no room to actually roleplay and create your own story. The genre is a glorified extension of the action/adventure grouping these days. 

VGPolyglot said:
Well, this is one that's becoming increasingly controversial for some reason, but mine is that the PS1 > N64. The N64 just can't keep up with the sheer number of releases that the PS1 had.

When I was a kid, we had a N64 and mainly played that (at home), while some neighboors kids (i played with more or less everyday) had a PS1.

So we played both systems.

Resident Evil games, as a group of kids sitting down in front of a tv, late at night (in a semi dark room), takeing turns playing and all yelling advice & commentary was one of the high points of the PS1 back then.

Back then I wasnt as into rpgs as I am now, so I appreciated the PS1 more and more as I got older. I had a PS2 with PS1 backcompat, allowed me to play alot of old rpgs (which where cheaper then).

But back when I was a kid I think I prefered the N64.

As Ive grown older Ive basically done a 180.

So I agree with you PS1>N64.

I'll probably add to the list later on in time, but here goes.

As much as I like the MG franchise, it's quite overrated as hell and praised too often for following the same kind of plot twists and tropes.

JRPG's, like some WRPG's end up copying the same formula and keeping things stale here and there. Both are guilty of copy+pasting the same ideas over the years.

Despite me liking my gameplay of FF XIV, it still plays like every other MMO, but it lacks more voice acting that WoW managed to do more of in recent years. Visually it's nice, but it was also bogged down my last gen systems and thus it's focus on FF style visuals ends up being hampered for it.

I dislike Real time Tactic games (outside of a few old titles from back in the day), because I feel they slow things down compared to real time strategy.

Turn based RPG's I feel are bogged down on purpose, rather than switching it up with real time actions and consequences.

The latest Resident Evil game doesn't feel like the original Resi 1-3 titles at all to me.

AAA games don't really feel like AAA anymore, not with the delays, the budgets being used in the wrong manner and the high asking price but lesser quality trade off.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:

Despite me liking my gameplay of FF XIV, it still plays like every other MMO, but it lacks more voice acting that WoW managed to do more of in recent years. Visually it's nice, but it was also bogged down my last gen systems and thus it's focus on FF style visuals ends up being hampered for it.

I dont agree with that.

Very very few MMOs are as PVE focused as it is. It also sticks to the holy trinity (healers + tanks + dps) and succcess relying on people noticeing effects, and acting accordingly, theres alot of management & team work there and challengeing pve battles. Theres good stroyline arcs with missions to follow.

Also most mmo's that try to change the formula just result in them makeing something worse. Most MMOs just end up as silly pvp battles stuff at endgame, not FFXIV.

That "fad" of no more auto lockon and instead a skill aim system sucks in the mmo's ive played.

And I dont think there are really any other mmos like FFXIV out there atm.

Chazore said:

Turn based RPG's I feel are bogged down on purpose, rather than switching it up with real time actions and consequences.

Hate when people say this, I dont agree at all with it either.